WaterCooling

Chilly

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Guys, need your advice,

I have been planing this watercooling sytem for a while, its for my currently running system which is a decent sytem (AMD S939, ATi Radeon, etc ntkb) but the parts have to allow for upgradeablity on the hardware level in future (ie I don't want to buy a new block every year or so, or if I change my cpu to core 2 duo or K8L, whatever's faster at the time unless I absolutly need to). I also want the high performance stuff, best performance for my money stuff, at the same time I'm not made of money so no silver and etc no matter how good it is :).

This is what I picked out so far:

CPU Block: Swiftech Storm rev.2
GPU Block: Swiftech MCW60 (maybe 1, maybe 2)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: PA120.2
Fans for Rad: 2x Panaflo 120MM Ultra High Speed (114CFM 45.5DBA - Yes I know, my current system pumps this level out, I am okay with volume plus thats what volt moding is for if I DO get sick of it)

Mostly my question is, 3/8 or 1/2, which will I see a bigger performance increase with? GPU Block, don't know too much other than ViperJohn uses a modifie verson in his ViperModded cards and its the one he recommends. CPU, Pump, and Rad I'm pretty sure is some of the best stuff out there, am I wrong?

I will be buying these parts slowly, with the rad and cpu block most likely being last as they are the most expensive, I am looking to have all these part's ready to to by november/december/jan(depends on cash flow), any suggestions in what order I dshould order them in?

Lots of Question's, spelling and grammer mistakes (stupid pop spilit keyboard, need new one) I apologize for them all in advance. Thanks and Cheers!

P.S. no Aqua Computer, looks nice but I am looking into 3/8, 1/2 stuff, Thanks.

[Edit: I'm an idiot, can mod move to watercooling section]

Also, from whatt I understand is that pump may not be the best, if you know of a pump that in my setup would provide better performance, feel free to recommend it :D, as from I understand that flow (gallons an hour) and head( 9 inchesss or w/e) are 2 big factors, this is about the only major thing I was not able to understand about watercooling.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of it.

The Storm is very restrictive on water flow and tends to clog VERY easy if you don't keep your water quility perfect. the holes are the about as big a a stright pin
You can't go wrong with Danger Den stuff - If you are going to do the Vcard to you may want to consider 3/8 hose.
Danger Den DDC-12V is small but really drives alot of water Luv mine

Apogee here. I've read all the "apogee-sucks-you-might-as-well-get-a-Storm" stuff out there and I really have no complaints whatsoever.

all looks good but id get an apogee since the storm doesnt cool cpus w/ IHS much better and doesnt justify the high cost (unless you wouldnt mind paying that much for one) and the mcp350/ddc pump plus an alphacool top would be nice if you wanted to save space ;)

CPU Block: Swiftech Storm rev.2
GPU Block: Swiftech MCW60 (maybe 1, maybe 2)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: PA120.2
Fans for Rad: 2x Panaflo 120MM Ultra High Speed

Looks good. However, you might want to consider the laing DDC ultra w/ aftermarket top for your pump. It is a lot more powerful than the MCP655. It is pricey but believe me, well worth it.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4509

Also, those fans are way overkill. But like you said, you can voltmod.

Mostly my question is, 3/8 or 1/2, which will I see a bigger performance increase with?

Neither. Use 7/16. That size is a better match for the inner diameter of 1/2 inch barbs and therefor will cause less turbulence/restriction as well as having a smaller outer diameter and wall thickness (easier bends).

CPU, Pump, and Rad I'm pretty sure is some of the best stuff out there, am I wrong?

The storm and PA radiators are widely accepted and proven to be the best components available. As for the pump, see the link I posted above. As for the GPU block, the MCW60 is a good balance of flow and performance.

I will be buying these parts slowly, with the rad and cpu block most likely being last as they are the most expensive, I am looking to have all these part's ready to to by november/december/jan(depends on cash flow), any suggestions in what order I dshould order them in?

I don't really see the point of doing that, just save your money and buy everything at the same time. You will save on shipping that way.

The Storm is very restrictive on water flow and tends to clog VERY easy if you don't keep your water quility perfect.

I have had my storm for years and it has never clogged on me. If you thoroughly clean your parts before you install them in your loop, and don't put a bunch of pointless crap in your water (uv dye, a high concentration of additive because you like the color, ect) you will never have a problem.

If you are going to do the Vcard to you may want to consider 3/8 hose.

I have never had a problem routing my hose from the CPU to GPU, or GPU to GPU in crossfire for that matter, with 7/16 and 1/2 hose.

The MCP655 is my only recommendation for a high flow system. Period

DDC ultra aka MCP355 is a better pump stock, and a MUCH better pump with an aftermarket top.

chris.c said:
Looks good. However, you might want to consider the laing DDC ultra w/ aftermarket top for your pump. It is a lot more powerful than the MCP655. It is pricey but believe me, well worth it.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=4509

Also, those fans are way overkill. But like you said, you can voltmod.

Neither. Use 7/16. That size is a better match for the inner diameter of 1/2 inch barbs and therefor will cause less turbulence/restriction as well as having a smaller outer diameter and wall thickness (easier bends).

The storm and PA radiators are widely accepted and proven to be the best components available. As for the pump, see the link I posted above. As for the GPU block, the MCW60 is a good balance of flow and performance.

I don't really see the point of doing that, just save your money and buy everything at the same time. You will save on shipping that way.

I have had my storm for years and it has never clogged on me. If you thoroughly clean your parts before you install them in your loop, and don't put a bunch of pointless crap in your water (uv dye, a high concentration of additive because you like the color, ect) you will never have a problem.

I have never had a problem routing my hose from the CPU to GPU, or GPU to GPU in crossfire for that matter, with 7/16 and 1/2 hose.

DDC ultra aka MCP355 is a better pump stock, and a MUCH better pump with an aftermarket top.

What kind of modified Tops are you guys speaking of ^.^ (I'm also looking to go watercooling, but gonna spend alot less money then the op)

djBon2112 said:
What kind of modified Tops are you guys speaking of ^.^ (I'm also looking to go watercooling, but gonna spend alot less money then the op)

This top. It looks kickass, and gives the pump a nice performance boost. Also, it gives you some sweet mounting options.

nonlnear said:
This top. It looks kickass, and gives the pump a nice performance boost. Also, it gives you some sweet mounting options.

Nice, so if I went with the DDC+ Ultra, and got the swifttec verson (MCP355) can I still use that top and get the same performance as a DDC+ Ultra?

Chilly said:
Nice, so if I went with the DDC+ Ultra, and got the swifttec verson (MCP355) can I still use that top and get the same performance as a DDC+ Ultra?

Yea, it's the same thing.

chris.c said:
MCP350 = DDC pro
MCP355 = DDC ultra

With a storm + gpu block I would only recommend the ultra.
oh snap, my bad, wasnt thinking :p doh!

I recently got new puter with the following:

-550 Watt Antec® TRUE EPS12V Quiet Power Supply Dual Smart Fans
-Asus® P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe - NVIDIA® nForce™ 4 SLI MCP, PCI Express Motherboard with DDR2
-Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E6600, dual 2.4GHz co Cooling Sys
-2048MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 Low Latency CL4 Extreme Memory with Heat Spreader
-CoolerMaster Aqua Water R120
-512MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GTX Performance Edition, PCI-Express, 2 x DVI
- Positive Pressure Airflow System - Speed adjustable, with light
-2 x 250GB Western Digital WD2500JD 7200rpm SATA/150, 8MB Cache - RAID 0 Stripe (500GB Total

I rand #D Benchmark and have Core Temp for monitor at 73 degrees F ambient the temp was 50 degrees C for both cores. I had the setting on the control to about 1/4 is that what you would expect with this water cool system.

eAGLEi

Back