Watercooling two 1080TIs FE

balnazzar

Weaksauce
Hi fellas. I got two 1080ti, both FE, one from nvidia and one from evga. I use them for training neural networks.

Maybe not all the 1080ti are created equal, since the evga one absorbs more power (even at idle), and hits much higher temps.

With a 21C room temp, and a good airflow through the case, yesterday I hit 91C, with the fan at 88%. Putting the fan at 100% (manually) doesn't seem to help by much (1-2C). The other one runs cooler, nonetheless it hits the 84C slowdown threshold very quickly. Note also that as the card stop to boost themselves, I lose almost 4 Tflops over a total of ~20, which is a lot.

At first, I thought about a couple of Accelero Extreme IV, but they would exhaust a LOT of hot air inside the case.

So, I decided to go liquid, but I need advice. I was thinking about NZXT G12 and a Corsair H75 (reliable asetek pump).
For a couple of H75s, I got to buy a new case too.
Here I really need advice. I want the H75s to be placed at the rear and/or sidewise, and obviously I want them to exhaust the air outside. I'd rather avoid to mount them at the top, since the room tends to be dusty.
The case should have enough room to accommodate the equipment (e.g. sufficient clearance for the h75s, which are very thick), but at the same time it shouldn't be too big, otherwise the tubes woud fall short.

A final question: should I retain the backplate or would be better to run the cards just with the pcb?

Any suggerstion is welcome.
Thanks!

Mh, just google around, and the h75 2018 doesn't match with the g12. Probably I'll go with a h80i v2 or an h55.

Back