Watercooling suggestions for socket P mITX in SG05

apopleptic

Limp Gawd
I have a Jetway JNC64-LF Socket P motherboard with a T9400 C2D which I have in an sg-05 case. I was thinking about watercooling the CPU but have no experience with it. The stock cooler is horrible. 40mm fan on a copper heatsink that is maybe 10mm thick. I put an adapter to change it to a 60mm fan but that fan is louder than I would care for while cooling poorly due to the adapter. Anyone have suggestions on what I can do?
Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153174

I'd personally just rig up a 80/120mm fan somehow, maybe a couple small pieces of foam and some zip-ties or something on the side of the heatsink (looking at the picture). Water cooling probably wouldn't be worth it when you factor in expense and the fact that you probably aren't overclocking on that board.

I'd personally just rig up a 80/120mm fan somehow, maybe a couple small pieces of foam and some zip-ties or something on the side of the heatsink (looking at the picture). Water cooling probably wouldn't be worth it when you factor in expense and the fact that you probably aren't overclocking on that board.

problem is the heatsink is so small and the fins are so shallow it really isn't feasible. It is only a tiny bit taller than the caps on the board. howabout custom heatsink manufacture? anyone know anyone?

I have modded a 120mm fan to fit over an old shuttle case I had. I went real redneck and used fishing wire to suspend the fan over the motherboard.

Again, the problem is that the cpu heatsink isn't big enough to dissipate the heat. Most chipsets have far beefier cooling.
No matter the fan it's not going to make there be more copper.
ooT1hKc.jpg

I don't think you will have much luck with any off the shelf water cooling solutions, since AFAIK Socket P is technically a mobile socket, your best bet is a good thorough cleaning of the box (picture is quite dusty), and see if you can improve the airflow in the case in anyway, otherwise you will have a nightmare of a time with fittings and tubing, and getting it to fit in, chances are you will need to mod the case quite a bit, and throw a radiator on the exterior

I don't think you will have much luck with any off the shelf water cooling solutions, since AFAIK Socket P is technically a mobile socket, your best bet is a good thorough cleaning of the box (picture is quite dusty), and see if you can improve the airflow in the case in anyway, otherwise you will have a nightmare of a time with fittings and tubing, and getting it to fit in, chances are you will need to mod the case quite a bit, and throw a radiator on the exterior

Socket p is physically the same as socket 478.

the dust isn't the issue, the PC has had heat issues since day 1. I had to replace the chipset cooler as soon as I got it due to it overheating.
The upgrade to the 60mm fan happened within a few months as well.
the case has no issues with airflow. there is a 120mm fan in the front of the case.
There is also plenty of room in the front (i think) for a radiator.
What I really need is a new cooler that actually has a useful amount of surface area.
The fan as it is keeps throttling up and down since the fins are so small that it cools them off in about 2 seconds, but then they heat up again pretty quickly. Howabout some suggestions for someone who can custom mill me a new, more functional, cooler or a waterblock out of a block of copper?
I only know one guy who works at a machine shop and he's a dick so I'd rather not deal with him.

At that cost putting a new more heat efficient board/cpu will be more cost effective than a custom made cooling solution....

just my though, maybe try forcing a certain fan speed rather than the variable it seems to be set to?

a new board and cpu and memory will probably not be cheaper, and I have the fan speed options of too slow or too loud.

There are not many options for that case, with your motherboard. Your running an older chip that always runs warm.

To fab something from scratch will be expensive, you need to find a machine shop you can put up with, buy the block of copper/Al/whatever, find someone to design something that will work, and pay for it all. None of that is cheap typically......Maybe try a new fan on the CPU? that also looks like a 40mm fan on the cooler, unless turned up, they are essentially useless. In that form factor, your usually stuck with either Loud noise, or high temps.

That's a 60mm fan. with a 40mm fan it gets so hot I can't play 720p video without it overheating and stuttering.

I've added a WTB thread so maybe someone will contribute parts to a new build for me :)

1st, is that fan on the heatsink pointing to the air is pushing down on the heatsink? looks like you've attached an adapter to go from the original fan to whatever size you have now

2nd, that is a lot of dust, can of air

3rd, i know the sg05 doesn't have the most room, but i know there's ways of routing the PSU cables so the air flow from the 120mm can actually reach the components, it seems like cable management will help.

4th, a rad will not fit in the front without modification and you wouldn't have the cages to mount the ssd/hdd/odd to. plus you'd need room for pump and tubing, that's IF you can get a block.

5th, how is your PSU oriented? is the fan inside the case trying to pull air that should be going to the CPU? if so, flip it around and have it pull air from outside the case, so it isn't in competition with the CPU hs/f.

1st, is that fan on the heatsink pointing to the air is pushing down on the heatsink? looks like you've attached an adapter to go from the original fan to whatever size you have now

2nd, that is a lot of dust, can of air

3rd, i know the sg05 doesn't have the most room, but i know there's ways of routing the PSU cables so the air flow from the 120mm can actually reach the components, it seems like cable management will help.

4th, a rad will not fit in the front without modification and you wouldn't have the cages to mount the ssd/hdd/odd to. plus you'd need room for pump and tubing, that's IF you can get a block.

5th, how is your PSU oriented? is the fan inside the case trying to pull air that should be going to the CPU? if so, flip it around and have it pull air from outside the case, so it isn't in competition with the CPU hs/f.

1) Fan is blowing down onto CPU. The adapter is to go from 40mm to the 60mm it has now.
2) It's not as dusty as it looks, but I'm going to clean it and take a new picture so people stop saying that ;)
3) No matter what I do there is no physical way to have air blow from front to back or from side to side and touch that cpu heatsink. it's so low that it is obstructed by the power socket and caps on the board. In order to unplug the power cable from the board the CPU cooler actually needs to be removed so I'll take some additional pictures of this "beast."
4) I run this PC with a single 2.5" HDD so I would probably be okay with removing the cage. I already removed the 3.5" part.
5) PSU is drawing air in.

Back