• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Watercooling Setup -How is this so far?

Joined
Jul 18, 2005
Messages
33
Just put my watercooling setup together and I was wondering how it is so far. It's not done yet, I still have to add drives and 2 120MM fans on top of the case (which I modded) and on the back. I also need to do some wire managing after some testing. But anyways here's what it looks like so far...

I haven't installed windows yet but when I check in BIOS it states my CPU temps are 29-31c.

Are these good temps. for this kind of setup? Including that fact that I'm using MCT-40 coolant? Also used Prime95/CPU Burn In for 2 hours straight... and my cpu load temps. came back as 38c load.

CPU:
31c Idle - 37c Load

GPU:
30c Idle - ??? Load

Ambient temps: 41c

I wonder if I can lower down the temp. on the cpu even more... Also the really wierd thing is that the GPU is 2c cooler than my CPU... is this normal? Becuase isn't usually GPU cores a lot hotter than CPU?

Thanks!

picture14wq.jpg


Watercooling setup:
Danger Den TDX CPU WaterBlock
Danger Den D5 Pump
Low Profile Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU
ClearFlex 60- 1/2in. ID by 3/4in. OD
Single Heater Core (Sprayed painted the heatercore.)
MCT-40 Coolant w/ Green UV Dye

System Setup:
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
Corsair XMS Pro PC3200 DDR Dual Channel
nVidia Geforce 6800 GT
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM
Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe Motherboard
 
Looks great and a wonderful choice of components! Just remember that lowering the temps should be secondary to handling the temp deltas. I would rather have a system that idles at 40C and peaks at 45C than a system that idles at 30C and peaks at 46C. Monitoring the deltas will be impartant because it will take the ambient temp (mostly) out of the equation.
 
Thanks. :) It better be great been working on this for hours... hehe. :rolleyes: So is 38c at full load really good for this type of setup?

Plus I forgot to mention I'm using MCT-40 coolant with some green UV dye in the mix.
 
With stock air cooling GPU's do get hotter than CPUs, but the average cooler even on a high end GPU is a lot smaller than the average cooler on a CPU. A high end card probably pulls a similar amount of power as an Athlon 64 and less than a Prescott and heat is largely a function of power. Watercooling everything equalizes the disparity in cooling, so the temps should be pretty similar. If it were possible to fit an XP90 on a graphics card we wouldn't have temps in the high 70s or more with air cooling.
 
With stock air cooling GPU's do get hotter than CPUs, but the average cooler even on a high end GPU is a lot smaller than the average cooler on a CPU. A high end card probably pulls a similar amount of power as an Athlon 64 and less than a Prescott and heat is largely a function of power. Watercooling everything equalizes the disparity in cooling, so the temps should be pretty similar. If it were possible to fit an XP90 on a graphics card we wouldn't have temps in the high 70s or more with air cooling.
I can only dream....:rolleyes:

Come on, i think someone out there must be able to put those mod skills to work and get some amazing air cooling for our gpu's. Right now with my side intake fan broken my card runs up to 84°c!
 
Ok good, I won't mess with it then. I'll just see if AS5 could cure after awhile. It's only been up for a few hours.

By the way I tried to overclock it just to test the temps a little bit and I was able to overclock %10 without uping the vcore. I got it up to 2400mhz from 2200mhz and was 33idle and 39c full load using torture test. Can't wait to push this CPU even more... hopefully the ram won't stop me.
 
tsk tsk... ;)

You might want to redo your loop. Seems like you have some unneccesary tubing there. Don't worry about the order for components, just keep the tubing length to a minimum.

Your loop seems to be in this order:

pump T-line rad cpu gpu pump

Id go:

pump gpu cpu T-line rad pump

This way you don't have long sections of tubing that don't connect to anything (like that pump to rad connection). Should improve your temps.
 
Bleh! Too late for that anyways... already to took me a few hours to bleed the whole system! I think it's fine the way it is now anyways... I don't think I would want to re-wire the tubing again and drain the system.
 
Are you sucking air out the front?...or blowing into the rad?...
 
It's sucking cool air from the outside and pushing into the radiator. It was more convinient to do it this way for the case because the tsunami comes with a fan filter in the front of the case which is nice. I heard that pulling air is better... but my father (in the hvac business for about 30 years) says it doesn't matter or atleast doesn't make a significant difference.

By the way... I lowered my radiator's fan speeds so I could get a near -quiet sound from my pc, and my temps went up by 2c. It's now 33-34c idle 39-41c heavy load.
 
That's the oddest component order I've ever seen. A t-line at the pump's output? :confused:
 
Yup. It does the job... :cool:
Also keeps my GPU at 33c!

It was the only way of order anyways if I wanted the pump located next to the radiator. I wanted it there in the first place so I could upgrade later down the road... like adding another viceo card for a SLI setup and a better sound card rather than using the onboard sound.
 
seems like your temps are fine. The tubing is a bit long, but it is nice and smooth, and you are using large 1/2" tubing so the little bit of extra length should not hurt things much. Just to give you a point of reference my venice mildly overclocked to 2.4 from 2.0 on stock air cooling idles at 33C and peaks out at 49C load. You'll notice that the idle isn't much lower for you, but the load is a lot lower...that is the advantage of a nice watercooling setup :)
 
Looks nice, similar to the setup I'm going for. Any reason you took the low-profile over the standard? I can't seem to tell the difference or which is worth getting
 
I believe the low profile is better to get if you are going SLI due to it's size of the block I'm assuming. Someone on another forum told me it's better to get low-profile...

As for overclocking on a watercooling system it really does help! :)
 
Back
Top