watercooling RAD help

audirs

Limp Gawd
Ive done alot of searching and read the FAQ's on this site and i am more confused then ever. basically all i am looking for is an answer to what rad size is required to cool an i7 920@ 4ghz. i will most likely trade my 940 with a roommate who doesnt OC, and take his 920 revision D0. ive read anything from 1x120, 2x120 and 3x120 to cool a single i7 with nothing else in the loop.

any insight would be great. im in the market for a new case, and want to make sure i can house 2 rads (1 for cpu and 1 for gpu) and need to know the size my i7 will require. i dont want to overkill the cpu RAD, but also make sure the rad is efficient. the fans for the rads will most likely be scythe s-flex 1900 rpms (almost 4mm/h2o) to push, and probably the slip streams to pull as static pressure should be irrelevant for pulling (nothing in front of the fan)

any info for the cpu rad will be great. thanks!

You can get away with a double, but I would prefer a triple. That's just my preference, but I'm a bit of a low temperature whore. ;)

thanks, what kind of idle/load temps do you get. seems like you are running some low voltage,which is the main reason i want to switch to a d0

52-56C

Also wanted to add that I did have 2 triple rads. Unfortunately I brought my computer over to a LAN, and a hose came a little loose. Lost 4 gigs of RAM, so I'm on air right now. Eventually I plan on going back to water cooling, all internal this time.

Anyways, if you are adding a GPU, you could go with 2 double rads for GPU and CPU or double + triple.

Ive done alot of searching and read the FAQ's on this site and i am more confused then ever. basically all i am looking for is an answer to what rad size is required to cool an i7 920@ 4ghz. i will most likely trade my 940 with a roommate who doesnt OC, and take his 920 revision D0. ive read anything from 1x120, 2x120 and 3x120 to cool a single i7 with nothing else in the loop.

any insight would be great. im in the market for a new case, and want to make sure i can house 2 rads (1 for cpu and 1 for gpu) and need to know the size my i7 will require. i dont want to overkill the cpu RAD, but also make sure the rad is efficient. the fans for the rads will most likely be scythe s-flex 1900 rpms (almost 4mm/h2o) to push, and probably the slip streams to pull as static pressure should be irrelevant for pulling (nothing in front of the fan)

any info for the cpu rad will be great. thanks!
Well I'm running a Thermochill PA120.3 with a 930 @ 3.7 ghz, (nothing else in the loop) and my idle temps are 35-37C, and load is 50C on all cores. I personally wouldn't run anything less than a 3 x 120, or a 2 x 140. Something else to think about is the radiator thickness. You can go as low as 30-35mm to as high as 101mm (Feser Admiral).

If you're really set on going with 2 rads, then you can never go wrong with the Swiftech Quiet Power series. $50 for a 3 x 120 rad is simply a great value. If it were me, I'd go with a single, thick, 3 x 120 like the Thermochill (60mm thick) or the XSPC RX360 Rev. 2 but that's just me.

If you go with the Thermochill you might be about to get a great deal. They are discontinuing their old line of PA120.X rads in favor of the new TA120.X. The TA have a new core and G 1/4" ports. The older PA need a G 3/8" fitting or an adapter.. Jabtech has the PA120.4 on sale for $99.95.

Case is completely subjective. Do you want a cheap case you can mod to your heart's content? Or any expensive case with fan holes in thee top of the case.

great info dude, thanks for the links

well im pretty picky about cases, i started a thread about some help with suggestions and i havent been sold on any one yet. i almost pulled the trigger on the new nzxt phantom, but there is no way to fit a single triple rad anywhere (internally). 2 120x2 i could (1 top mount, 1 where the hdd bays are) but i am reconsidering now.

id like to buy a more expensive case and not mod it so much, but i really dont like clean looking cases. i am kind of leaning towards a silverstone rv01 now because you can fit a 4x120 in the middle with little modding. so i think everyone does recommend 3x120 for an i7 rad then eh?

Last edited:
Back