Watercooling question

Ranatsu

n00b
My computer is a AMD 2500+ overclocked to 2376, geil DDR433, Epox 8RDA+ mobo.

I bought a Swiftech MCP600 pump, Dual 5.25 bay reservoir, Maze 4 AMD waterblock and Zchipset, and 2 black ice micro radiators.

The setup is:
Radiator>Waterblock
pump>reservoir>< >pump
Radiator>Waterblock

My question is that the Maze 4 waterblock didnt come with instructions. Although I have it mounted and it doesnt move or anything the temperatures for the processor is at 122F at idle. Now my former cooling was from a Koolance exos and I averaged about 104F. So I'm totally confused as to why this waterblock which is easily allowing more flow than the exos doesnt cool nearly as well.

grrrr it didnt come out the way I wanted the schematic too... But anyways it goes from the pump to the reservoir and splits off into two both going to radiators, then one goes to the maze4 and the other to the chipset then they come back together and back to the pump.

Well, I believe that Danger Den has both written and movies of installations instructions for that block on their site, so you may want to check that out:
www.dangerden.com

Hmmm, IMO the blocks are too far down the loop. I would route it like this:
Reservior--->Pump--->"Y"--->Blocks--->Radiators.
What is your pump rated at for head & Flow? (too lazy to look it up) Also, how are your rads cooled? Do they draw outside air through them? Exhaust air through them to outside of case? You may also want to re-evaluate your layout in other ways as well. It's possible that the added volume by running parallel rads and blocks might just slow down the flow too much. Running in parallel like that will require a high flow, high head pump, and considering that it is supplying flow from a single line to a dual line, the dual portions will be at 1/2 the flow rate of the single portion. (this means the single lines leading to the Y will be a big restriction. If it were me, I would probably run the first Y splitter as close to the 2 waterblocks as possible and run the dual rads after and then join them back together right before the reservior. This would place the the blocks closest to the pressure source and create a low restriction area after the blocks which would encourage more flow through the blocks. This is precisely the reason the LRWW and DD RBX blocks have 2 outlet barbs and one intake.

-EDIT- BTW, I would also check the block to CPU interface and make sure they are in good contact.

Im pretty sure its tight enuff on the cpu... but the pump is 160 gph and the radiators are getting air from inside the case..

That pump is definately your problem. Thats kinda on the lower side for a single 1/2" ID setup with 1 block. Add a second block in parallel and your flow rates drop by 1/2. Thats 80 GPH per block. Of course pump Head is also important here, you have so little restriction that the pump cannot muster enough pressure/flow rate to cool your system. With what you have, I would recomment at least a 300 GPH pump and prefferably higher than that. Maybe you could get a second pump and run both of them in parallel. Hell, you would be one step away from having 2 independant systems. Would be neat to cross over the lines so the water being drawn from one reservior gets returned to the other and vice versa.

Thats still too low a flow rate though. I don't thin kI would want anything under 250 GPH and at least 4' or 5' head.

I only got that pump because swiftech uses it with there dual rad setup and has no probs.

Back