• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Watercooling options for Shuttle SG31G2

R-Type

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2011
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
2,806
Watercooling a Shuttle SG31G2...Possible?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

So last summer I put togethor a toaster for my girlfriend using a Q6600, and the thing is quick as hell for how small it is. Since then we have both finished college and moved in together, and after setting up the office I noticed just how friggen loud that thing gets under load. She doesn't even notice it (she used to have a P4 laptop that was equally as loud) but I really want to quiet that beast down. Unfortunately due to the tight space in the Shuttle designs, the 92mm fan has to spin pretty fast to keep that quad cool, and while quieter fans are an option I think the result will still be louder than I like.

Seeing the small self contained watercooling systems from CoolIT made me wonder if anyone has installed one in a shuttle?
http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/domino-alc.html
I also see the Corsair h50 is pretty highly regarded, perhaps thats another option?

I have no problem building a mounting system for the radiator behind the case out of site, and I will likely need to make new holes in the retention bracked for the mounting pattern shuttle uses. My main question is how effective this system would be at cooling the q6600. Using the anemic heat pipe cooler supplied, the chip can hit 75-80C under full load prime at stock speed. If a custom water solution would be much better without costing a prohibitive amount I might be interested in exploring that route as well.

Thanks,
Ryan
 
Back
Top