watercooling only gfx vs only cpu

atcjames

n00b
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
43
Is there any sense in putting in a loop just to cool your video card/cards?

I was considering putting a single loop into my system more as a hobby than anything else. I would imagine that an i7 cpu would produce more heat than any graphics card, but I couldnt help but wonder if my e8400 could actually be producing less heat than my 4870?

Other motivation for just doing a graphics loop vs cpu loop:

-already have a TRUE
-graphics card is by far the loudest component in my case

All oppinions welcome!

-James
 
If getting rid of noise is your primary goal then it would make perfect sense to choose to cool only the noisiest part of the system. You can also reduce the heatdump from the original cooler with an appropriately positioned radiator.
 
You will see a far larger reduction in heat/noise by watercooling the graphics card. You already have a very good HSF for the CPU, and the 4870 puts out more heat than your E8400 does. I had a 4870 @ 860MHz core and it never broke 40c with a D-Tek Fuzion slapped on it.
 
If your budget is tight, then make a GPU-only loop like rincewind said. If you can afford it, it's easy to put them both in the same loop and still get great temperatures.
 
Back
Top