Watercooling need help with a nice setup

Not sure of the exact model numbers/names but it seems like the guy is using
-1x 480 XSPC Radiator
-1x 240 XSPC Radiator
-1x 120 XSPC Radiator
-2x Koolance pumps (think some variation of Laing DDC/swiftech 355 with pump top reservoir)
-1x XSPC Raystorm CPU water block
-not sure what type of GPU blocks he's using, maybe EK or Koolance.
-Primochil or Tygon tubing. don't think its 1/2ID - 3/4OD, probably smaller 7/16ID - 5/8OD hose.
-assorted Bitspower compression fittings.

you could probably identify all the parts just by looking at the water cooling section on PPCs...
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59

EDIT: if you want to WC everything including the chipset/VRMs on your MB, you'll also need a EK/Koolance chipset block. not sure if they do a specific block for your 'ASUS P9X79 Deluxe'. worst case, you may need to get individual blocks for the PCH and VRMs.

Last edited:
A thick 360mm rad will do fine for your SB-E and your 7970. RX360 and SR1-360 are my top two choices. I have modded an 800D from stock to two RX480s in side (had tri 580 3gbs) so there are modding options available if you have this case. As asphasia said, that build you linked, the member is running an xspc Raystorm.

The gpu blocks are ek. If you go with ek, they offer a "bridge" link system to connect more than one ek block (up to four). Heatkiller also makes a bridge to link multiple (and same) blocks.

For the cpu, the Raystorm is a great choice for your cpu and for gpu, its really down to taste and money. I've had great success with Heatkiller and Danger Den. Koolance makes a great block too.

Don't waste your money on cooling the mb. Its more for bling than usefulness. Same for the ram and hard drives. For first time water coolers, don't make it complicated for yourself and stick to a simple cpu and gpu loop. Once you are comfortable in water cooling, start adding or change things around.

Its hella fun and expensive. I've been through many builds and all have been water cooled.

edit: With the HAF-X, there's limited space on top but I have seen ppl squeeze in an RX360 and RX480 on the top as long as it clears your mb.

Last edited:
Do you have a large enough budget to pull it off? To do a watercooling loop like he did, be prepared to spend over $500 on the watercooling parts alone.

Next off, are you sure you can handle the maintenance needs? From your post, it seems like you want to do it based on the coolness factor. But are you prepared for the much higher maintenance and work?

Do you have a large enough budget to pull it off? To do a watercooling loop like he did, be prepared to spend over $500 on the watercooling parts alone.

Next off, are you sure you can handle the maintenance needs? From your post, it seems like you want to do it based on the coolness factor. But are you prepared for the much higher maintenance and work?

A properly setup loop can be hassle free for several months, even a year. Just make sure you are using an appropriate biocide and be careful with EK and Koolance nickel blocks and the biocide you choose.

The only time I'm breaking down my rig is when I'm making changes (which is constant tbh :D ).

Tsumi, I never thought about the maintence. It's a pain in the ass enough to dust out the pc lol. My budget is about 400. I can live without WC the blocks on the mobo just the CPU / Video for now. Not really looking for a coolness factor more looking for silence and a way to avoid putting on my AC all day when gaming on my days off. Ty guys btw.

It doesn't change the fact that there's more work involved, it's not a simple plug and play type deal. Those who jump into watercooling without knowing the costs and work beforehand often end up giving up halfway through.

Watercooling may and will help with keeping things quieter. However, it will not change how much your room warms up, since the heat being put out is still the same.

Think about this carefully before you start spending anything. A system using barbs and no angled rotaries or compressions will look nowhere near as nice as that system you linked. Those angled rotaries and compressions can cost over $100 alone, not counting the other parts you need for watercooling.

To make a quieter system, you're looking at $60 on CPU block, $110 on GPU block, $80 on pump, $20-60 on reservoir, $100 on radiator, $20-50 on fans, $20 on fittings, and $20 on tubing. That's a total of $430-500 on a basic system without bling.

Back