Watercooling for Nehalem (bloomfield)

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone know if cpu blocks will be available for at or shortly after the CPUs release, or if LGA1366 is suffiently larger to require time consuming redesigns before blocks become available?

i would think that mainly just the mounting hardware would need to change. that being said i would imagine you could buy the needed new hardware very quickly after the specs are released.

The sockets are large so I would more then likely say the base is going to be much larger, I wouldn't expect to much out right now to work, but I could be wrong.

Just because the socket is large doesn't mean the core is large - remember open CPUs? Cumines, AXPs and the like? With a new mount, current 'blocks may work. We won't know until we see physical specs.

I'll second the thought about the actual mounts changing vs new blocks. The socket may end up being larger, but the block itself may only require a new mounting system. I don't think we'll have a definite answer until more information about socket dimensions and mounting schemes are published.

The manufacturers will of course offer new mounts.... I'm sure it will be sometime before we see re-designed blocks, just for the Nehalem... Are the masses all going to covert on release day and create an UBER demand for re-designed blocks... I don't think so...

Back