• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Watercooling and LAN party?

xSnowmaNx

Gawd
Joined
Aug 11, 2004
Messages
708
For those of you who frequent LAN parties, how do you go about taking your systems? I don't really know much about watercooling at all so, do you move it around filled? Empty then fill on arrival? How much extra (or less?) weight is there with water cooling?
 
I do about 3-4 lan parties/year, exclusively w/ pals from college. (400 miles away)

This last one I brought my rig filled. It was 58lbs full... and a bitch to move around in the car. In the process I believe I did some damage to a mobo, and unknown stress to my expensive components. During the LAN my ram took a dump and I had to go from 2048 to 1024 to get stable again. Windows took a dump due to it... and luckily I had a 2nd HD with a Gaming image setup.

it was a mess.

If you frequent lan parties, consider going with an agressive air cooled system. and a lightweight case. ie. antec Super Lanboy.

changing the fluid and purging air from the system takes me a whole day. ...this isn't something you wanna do @ a lan.

@ lans you wanna be up and running as quickly as possible, and tear it down just as fast.

I now have a smaller less powerful system for the LANs... and my 58 pounder (fat b1tch) stays @ home.

edit:
this is what I had lugged around:
DSC00054-vi.jpg
 
wow that is quite a beast. I have a P4 2.8c with a CoolerMaster JET 4, X800 XT PE, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (I/O Plate), CD burner and dvd rom, 2 hard drives, floppy, and with my case and maybe 8 or so fans it feels like a good 30 to 35 pounds. I am currently overclocking my CPU a little bit, but it just struck me how nice it would be to have a quieter pc while having it run cooler with a better overclock. Currently at 3.29 ghz, not sure how much higher I can go, seems like some programs are just crashing (WinAmp mainly). But haven't had a benchmark or a game crash yet.
 
I know it sounds like a cop out... but looking back at it... life would have been much easier if I just bought a case premade with watercooling already installed. ...like the Koolance cases.

I'd check out the Lian-Li PCV1100 with integrated Koolance Exos2.

Just keep in mind that this will rule out a high diameter high flow system. ...but prople are having some success with those units.

check out this thread
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=872933
 
is there anyone who doesnt have a problem going to a lan partie with water cooling with out messing up thier system. if so how often have you gone to a lan and haven't had 1 problem?
 
I have gone to many LAN parties with my water-cooled systems over the last 5 years. I have been to as many as 10 in one year. I have never had a leak or any issue. At one event the AC could not keep up with all the computers in the bulding and the room became very hot. All my friends had to underclock their systems but mine kept on running fine overclocked.

I even shipped 6 water-cooled systems to Vegas for a LAN event and all of them made it fine and ran perfectly. UPS did destroy one on the return trip. (Read the case was no longer one piece anymore.) The amazing thing was that the system did not leak.

If you are going to take a water-cooled system to a LAN just don't thow it around but it is a little more fragile than an air cooled system. The big thing is that you have to install the watercooling properly. Everything should be bolted down not just lying in the case and it should be sealed so that laying the system on its side does not cause it to leak. (It should be that way anyway but you would be suprised how many systems never get finished to that level.)

So basicly if you build it right it will be fine for LAN parties. :)
 
Just host the LAN party. That's the easiest way for lazy people. Just buy lots of snacks and soda, invite friends, and make them do all the manual labor of setting up tables and such. If they complain, just screw with their comps while they go to the bathroom. (Always use Win+L at LAN parties)
 
lol, maybe he cant have 300+ people in his house :p
I'm also going to be taking my watercooled system to a large LAN this summer and was kind of interested in it. I don't really wanna get there and have to bleed it.. And ironically the clamps that came with my blocks (polarflo TT's, 1/2" ID) won't fit over my 1/2" ID dangerden tubing.. so none of my watercooled system is clamped. it doesn't leak, but i'm kind of curious about the possibility over time.. I purchased a few clamps of a different kind to see if they will work, but haven't received em yet
 
My rig is watercooled, and I take it everywhere. As was said before, just have everything bolted down and air tight. Put some worm-drive style hose clamps on the fittings, and you'll be good to go.
 
pettybone said:
is there anyone who doesnt have a problem going to a lan partie with water cooling with out messing up thier system. if so how often have you gone to a lan and haven't had 1 problem?
Just drove to Seattle and back from Portland (180 miles) with my WC system in the back of my pickup, never had a problem with moving, one important part is having good hose clamps and securing you system, not just leaving it loose on a seat. Bungy cords ++ :p
 
Well, I do alot of local lans with my highschool buddies, and I've had zero problems moving around my rig. Hell, mine is lighter than some of the air-cooled cases that come in and I usually get set up faster.

But when I'm driving around with it, I have it buckled in in the front seat :D
 
Thanks for your input guys. I think I will go with fore's suggestion with the exos if I do decide to go watercooling. Overall, the exos really fits the bill with what I want. I wanted a watercooling system, but I didn't want to mod my case or get a new case to accomodate the watercooling and I also wanted something that was actually decent, and I think the exos does what I want perfectly :)
 
I was just thinking about watercooling and ram just a second ago. For a person that has a purely watercooling system (no fans whatsoever except maybe PSU), how do they go about keeping their system ram in check? Does ram ever get that hot to be damaged?
 
xSnowmaNx said:
a purely watercooling system (no fans whatsoever except maybe PSU + RADIATOR)
Fix'd
wink.gif

Also, if you have any significant HDs (10-15K drives), you're still going to be cooling them unless you get one of those wacky HD coolers
 
Well when I said watercooling system, I was implying everything you would need for watercooling, which would include the radiator ;)
 
strwrsxprt said:
Just host the LAN party. That's the easiest way for lazy people. Just buy lots of snacks and soda, invite friends, and make them do all the manual labor of setting up tables and such. If they complain, just screw with their comps while they go to the bathroom. (Always use Win+L at LAN parties)

you are evil lol
 
Back
Top