Watercooling AIW

Poppa Funk

n00b
I'm watercooling my rig soon, but my All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro is making me uneasy. What waterblocks will fit on it? And will I run into any problems if I have to cut down the block to fit around the TV tuner? And am I correct in thinking that I should not mix waterblocks from different manufacturers?

You can mix waterblocks from different manufacturers, that's not a problem. Getting one to fit on the AIW is a bitch, however.

Give the exact model of the AIW. Some cards of resistors or whatever in different spots. Easier to see what will fit if we can google a picture or something.

-Ed

AIW 9800 pro is the exact model as ATI doesnt let other companies make AIW(atleast that ive ever seen)

The older DD GPU blocks with the 45-degree bent barbs worked on the AIW 9800 pro, but they don't sell them any more, and it was a *tight* fight.

Poppa Funk said:
I'm watercooling my rig soon, but my All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro is making me uneasy. What waterblocks will fit on it? And will I run into any problems if I have to cut down the block to fit around the TV tuner? And am I correct in thinking that I should not mix waterblocks from different manufacturers?

all you have to do is make sure they all have the same diameter fittings. i doubt anyone still makes aluminum water blocks so you don't need to worry about that.

^^oops:D

Umm, well I will be getting the AquaComputer AquagrATIx soon

atix.jpg

....while it wasn't made for the AIW line of cards I can see if it fits on a 9800 AIW for ya. It was made for the 9800 line of cards.

Looking at the cards side by side...I don't see why it shouldn't be able to squeeze in there.
9800side.jpg

Thanks man. That would be MUCH better than the Koolance. I'll hold off until I know for sure if it fits.

Edit: Is it available yet? If so where?

It's not a waterblock, but I'm very happy with my VGA Silencer.
You can get one for less then $10 when they go on sale @ Xoxide.com

It fits my AIW 9800Pro perfectly. It's quieter than my 12cm fans which drive the heater core on my water rig. Go Figure..

I've got an MCW50 or something sitting on the shelf that I was going to try and jerry rig... but this air cooler worked so well I didn't want to screw with it.

hmm no pics online though. sorry m8

Ouch. $80 for the AquagrATIx. Thats a little steep. But the Artic VGA Silencer (Rev 2) can be mine for ~$20. Questions: What performance does the VGA Silencer have compared to a higher end watercooling system? From the reviews I am reading it appears to be pretty quiet, but will it be quieter than the two 120's that will be on my heatercore?

Poppa Funk said:
I knew I should have stuck with the plain old 9800 Pro.
You should have gotten one of these instead.

If you overlay both pics you see that the AIW's tuner sticks out just alittle more past the caps on the Pro but the next thing you see is that both images aren't to scale of each other as well. Both cards are aligned via the AGP connector, the AIW is transparent and overlayed on the Pro.
AIWPro.jpg

Personally I'd sell the AIW, find another Pro and get that card I linked to and then pick whatever block you want. You'll want to ask Dan if he knows if the AquagrATIx block fits.

I am using a Maze4 on my 9800AIW. I just had to notch the block top (the corner that has the nvidia mount hole on it) to miss the corner of the tuner which just makes my block not able to be mounted on the nvidia cards with the different mounting holes. Its not a big deal to do.

How much do you think I could sell this bad boy for? I doubt it would be the ~$250 I would need for the Hauppauge plus another 9800 Pro. And I doubt anyone would make that trade.

I dont see selling it just to replace with the same thing without the tuner. In my setup it allows me to have an extra tuner which at times is nice (I have had 4 recordings going on at the same time twice so far) even tho it is seldom used.

Here is a pic of my setup with the 9800AIW with a Audigy 2zs, 2-250pvr cards and a 350pvr.

dzitzner said:
I dont see selling it just to replace with the same thing without the tuner. In my setup it allows me to have an extra tuner which at times is nice (I have had 4 recordings going on at the same time twice so far) even tho it is seldom used.

Here is a pic of my setup with the 9800AIW with a Audigy 2zs, 2-250pvr cards and a 350pvr.

Agreed. Selling it to fund the new stuff isn't happening. You won't get $200 for that card. If you find a block that'll work [a few people have suggested some] then you'll be fine once you make it work.

Hey.

I just got my aquagrati and while I don't have a 9800Pro AIW to show you it on I can almost say for sure it will fit.
see.jpg

This is a picture of the block sitting on a 9600XT AIW and the block just barely doesnt fit because of 3 areas which as far as I can tell are not there on a 9800Pro AIW.

see1.jpg

The power section which I could even actually remove on this one.

see2.jpg

see3.jpg

And the 2 resistors or whatever are in the way. The top one actually may fit..just that side one is in the way a lot..but the 9800 doesnt have one there.

So if you did want to use this I think you wold be A-ok and ready to go.

the polarflo TT vga block would probably work. It covers only the gpu though so you would have to use ram sinks or none at all

Thanks Copycat. You think that block is worth the $80 though? In other words, is performance significantly better than an VGA Silencer or thte Koolance block?

I thought it was worth the $80 bucks simply because it is a block unlike any other I have ever seen, but not everyone buys certian WC for the WOW factor.....The way that it is built I can't imagine it not performing well.

But then again, I have not used the others you listed so I can't really compare. I will let you know what kind of results I get when I slap it onto my 9800Pro though.

Here are some more pics just to wet your appetite:) hehe
ysiust.jpg
ysius6.jpg

ysiusw.jpg
ysiusv.jpg

Back