Watercooling a geforce 6800u

jchahn

Limp Gawd
I'm going to be using zalman gpu and cpu waterblocks with a reserator 1 fanless watercooling system. I plan to get a geforce 6800 ultra.

What kind of OC speeds should I be able to reach with water? (On the gpu I mean).

hmm, make sure your block and 6800 U have the same size mounting holes. Looks like Nvidia went from a 3 mm screw on the old geforce specs to 2 mm screws for the 6800 series. So even if your block's hole pattern fits you might not be able to mount it (unless you can rethread the 3mm screws to 2mm for the part that sticks through the boards, or you want to physically try to enlarge the holes in the video card and kiss any hope of warranty good bye).
Gainwards watercooled ultras are clocked at 470 MHz if I remember correctly.

i concur with ^^ and would advise strongly against threading or forcing the 3mm screw into the 2mm slot. if u look closely, there are circuits that abutt almost flush with the mounting holes on the 6800. you'd risk a short and poof 550 bucks gone...

danger den sells a gpu block for 6800s... not sure if it's compatible with the zalman system though, as far as tube diameters.

Well, shit.

I called Zalman and it turns out that the gpu waterblock will fit any card on the market right now except for the geforce 6800s (just like you guys said). They said they would have a revised version of it out within a month or 2. So I guess I'll just run my card with stock cooling until then. I haven't actually bought my card yet, but I'd rather have a 6800 than an ATI card because I use linux quite a bit, so I guess I'll be playing the waiting game for a while.

the koolance block(L06) will fit, the screws that come with it go into the 6800 really snug and easily with a screw driver
jchahn said:
Well, shit.

I called Zalman and it turns out that the gpu waterblock will fit any card on the market right now except for the geforce 6800s (just like you guys said). They said they would have a revised version of it out within a month or 2. So I guess I'll just run my card with stock cooling until then. I haven't actually bought my card yet, but I'd rather have a 6800 than an ATI card because I use linux quite a bit, so I guess I'll be playing the waiting game for a while.

the problem w/ any gpu block is the ram need seperate cooling.

dangerden's huge block addresses this, but it's monster expensive.

the small aluminum ram heatsinks that come w/ the zalman products look iffy to me, but i guess they work if you don't OC the ram much...

From my personal experience, you should be able to take your core pretty high (~25%).

For a GT, I've seen users take it as high as 450 to 460MHZ. The average core speed attained seems to be around 435MhZ to 440MHZ.

For an Ultra, I've seen it as high as 480MHZ.

As for the RAM, you should look for replacing the black aluminum ramsink with some long, copper ramsinks.

Better yet, I might want to try the new DangerDen NV-68 block. I'm waiting for mine to arrive and I'll post results in the middle of next week.

Well, since its the reserator, not as high as other watercooled cards.

I have 2 water cooled systems, 1 being the reserator. Te reserator is great for a silent system, but the water gets rather warm for someone who wants to highly OC their system. I wound up putting a fan cooled radiator in the loop and it dropped the temps dramaticly. The water tower is no longer warm to the touch like it was before. I would not recommend just the reserator if you want to run the 6800U through the loop as it gets very hot.

Nandro said:
I have 2 water cooled systems, 1 being the reserator. Te reserator is great for a silent system, but the water gets rather warm for someone who wants to highly OC their system. I wound up putting a fan cooled radiator in the loop and it dropped the temps dramaticly. The water tower is no longer warm to the touch like it was before. I would not recommend just the reserator if you want to run the 6800U through the loop as it gets very hot.

that seems like a good idea, having the reserator AND a fan/radiator in the same system... you could turn off the radiator when watching movies, surfing, etc, and then turn it on when doing 3d... expensive though.

Not really, I added a small motorcycle oil cooler and a fan that I had around my shop. I'm sure you can find a cheap cooler as long as it dosent have to look great.

Back