Watercooling 5870, what are my options?

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
I have 4 Mae4 GPU blocks, will either work?

I bought an adapter kit for my 5770 but never installed it and now It's time to upgrade.

Does the memory or any mosfets need to be cooled on the 5870?

if its a reference 5870 then there's some options, if its not, then likely your only option is mass ramsinks.

Cooling mine with the mcw-60, some copper ramsinks, and a thermalright vrm-4 and it is solid. Goodbye loud reference fan!

well I don't have the card yet but it should be an ati branded card. What are those options? I would prefer to use the maze 4 our 5 that I have. I was told that the 5770 memory does not need ram sinks..the 5870 does?

swiftech made an all in 1 heatsink for the 5870. Thermalright also makes the vrm series to cool the mosfets. I had some ramsinks already so I added a vrm-4 and it cools the vrm's MUCH better than the stock hsf. There maybe some other all in 1 heatsinks out there, but I'm unaware of them.

Maze block should be fine tho assuming it mounts properly. Which a stock 5870 has pretty standard mounting holes, thankfully, while the reference 5770's did not. My mcw-60 mounted on a 7800GT, an 8800GT and now a 5870 without extra hardware.

thanks either of those is exactly what I had in mind They will both work with Maze4/5 too? Any idea where I can pick one up though? I usually get my stuff from petras but I only see 6k series heatsinks for sale there.

Are they only available in Canada or something?

Last edited:
Looks like sidewinder also only has the swiftech HS for the 6970...
I wasn't really interested in air cooling the card with the thermaltake sink. I can't even visualize how that thing works. I want to use my maze4/5 blocks that I already own, but the only places the have the HD5870-HS in stock are in Canada. Will Canada ship to the US?

Looks like sidewinder also only has the swiftech HS for the 6970...
I wasn't really interested in air cooling the card with the thermaltake sink. I can't even visualize how that thing works. I want to use my maze4/5 blocks that I already own, but the only places the have the HD5870-HS in stock are in Canada. Will Canada ship to the US?

No idea on that one, but I will say that passively that thermalright pwm sink keeps the pwm temps about 30c cooler than the stock heatsink did. So unless you have zero airflow its more than sufficient to dissipate the heat.

No idea on that one, but I will say that passively that thermalright pwm sink keeps the pwm temps about 30c cooler than the stock heatsink did. So unless you have zero airflow its more than sufficient to dissipate the heat.

Does it cool the memory?
Where can I find a picture of this monster HS installed? Will it block my second slot so I could not be able to crossfire in the future?

I found these on sale? Anyone have experience with them?

Bad link, and I still can't find a picture of the VRM4/5 in a case.
I don't see how these would work in SLI seems like it sticks out way too much... Really did not want to glue ram sinks to the video card... I guess I can't water cool these because swiftech is no longer producing the heatsinks to go with their water-block and they are sold out everywhere... :(

Guess My PA120.3 will just be dedicated to cooling the CPU and MB, and I'll have to deal with 2 air cooled video cards.

Bad link, and I still can't find a picture of the VRM4/5 in a case.
I don't see how these would work in SLI seems like it sticks out way too much... Really did not want to glue ram sinks to the video card... I guess I can't water cool these because swiftech is no longer producing the heatsinks to go with their water-block and they are sold out everywhere... :(

Guess My PA120.3 will just be dedicated to cooling the CPU and MB, and I'll have to deal with 2 air cooled video cards.

They sold out. It was XSPC Razor GPU blocks. I snagged two they were marked down to $40 from $100 so figured it was worth a shot.

Picked up 2x koolance 5870 water block for 70$ shipped for both. Look around, deals are out there.

This what I did on my old 5870. The XSPC Rasa blocks are great. And those are Arctic heatsinks on the ram:
IMAG0125.jpg

Back