Watercooled SG05 Build Log

Hello all,

I've searched this forum many times for ideas to build my new SG05. I spent about a month selecting parts and looking at other builds. I had one objective:

1) Switch from Corsair 650D to SG05 without skimping on features.

This required my build to contain the following:

1) Quad core
2) Closed loop watercooling for CPU
3) Decent graphics
4) Boot SSD
5) 1TB mass storage
6) Modular PSU
7) Optical drive

Here is the part list:
SIlverstone SG05
Silverstone 450W Modular PSU (ST45SF-G)
Asus Z87i-Deluxe
Intel i5 4670k
16GB Kingston 1600 RAM
Seagate 240GB SSD
HGST 1TB Mass Storage
Corsair H55
Asus GTX670 Mini
Generic slim Blu-Ray/DVD drive

SO here are the pictures:

Moving from Corsair 650D to SG05.
Side by side comparison.
I was tired of moving this case around the country.
mn2h08.jpg

Getting all parts ready. Switched some over from my old case. Waiting for new parts to come in!
bdtsv9.jpg

Close-up of the Asus Z87i-Deluxe.
2e52l1w.jpg

First test of the motherboard:
148m78m.jpg

First case installation.
2uqzwhs.jpg

Everything assembled with old parts and new processor/motherboard.
This was just a test. There is much more to do!
2pzi62f.jpg

NOW, moving to some upgrade parts after they arrived in the mail:
mt0dbt.jpg

Some creative modifications were made. I ended up grabbing some elastic from Michael's while my wife was doing something. I cut it and stapled it in the middle to create elastic bands. The drive is secured to the side of the PSU with removable 3M sticky stuff. The elastic prevents it from falling after it heats up.
jtulmr.jpg

In order to get the drive to clear the radiator from the Corsair H55, I had to shave off some parts of the optical drive cage.
nealw5.jpg

All done! It lays flat now.
28al4yp.jpg

Time to secure the 1TB mass storage. I didn't want a 3.5" drive crammed in there or have an external drive, so I went for a $70 HGST 1TB 7.2k RPM 32mb cache drive off Amazon. This required mounting to the bottom.
2hdbs75.jpg

Velcro is on the bottom.
2cfxkeb.jpg

First thing to go inside the case. The radiator makes it difficult to plug in SATA power and SATA data cables.
2ajbwz.jpg

First installation of the radiator. It has a Corsair SP120 PWM fan attached now.
efq69.jpg

Installing the Asus Z87i-deluxe. I removed the EMI foamy shielding on the I/O shield because it bowed out like crazy. I used Arctic MX-4 as the TIM. At load, it reaches 55degC. Not bad for SFF. Overclocked to 4.2Ghz.
2hy8bxt.jpg

Close-up of everything. I think the black/yellow looks pretty good. The HyperX RAM looks better in person, and that motherboard is really great. It's also very heavy...
jkvj1i.jpg

Attached the front panel to the case and did a little cable management.
1z3qs6o.jpg

Inserting the modular PSU. The SSD attached is looking great.
1zzhxys.jpg

Side-view of the case.
30rxi1l.jpg

All power cables are attached. I had to re-crimp a few SATA cables to get it exactly how I wanted. I ordered the Silverstone short cable kit so I didn't have to worry about cutting up the cables that came with the PSU.
2udvvux.jpg

Another side-view of the case.
24o1u2g.jpg

Dropping in the Asus GTX670 mini.
2py6zoj.jpg

In order to get the power cable to clear the optical drive cage, I decided to cut off the unnecessary plastic and put silicone RTV into it to keep it flexible and rigid.
2u40l61.jpg

See? Not much space. I read before buying the card ($210 used on eBay!) that the power connector is really high. The PCB rises above the back bracket, and the 8-pin power connector is on the top and can butt up against the cage.
27wwvb8.jpg

Yep. It comes right up through the cage.
xfxjtl.jpg

Everything's installed!
21dgylt.jpg

Another side-view.
xe54bs.jpg

Ahhh... all finished. Kona Pipeline was the beer of choice (PCB-recycled coaster. Electrical engineer over here).
q3hk.jpg

Complete setup. Everything's at home.
n2dg07.jpg

Is there any particular reason you picked the DCU mini 670 over one with a stock blower?

Is there any particular reason you picked the DCU mini 670 over one with a stock blower?

The shorter length of the GPU allows you to put the radiator sideways and keep the optical drive tray.

The shorter length of the GPU allows you to put the radiator sideways and keep the optical drive tray.

Yep, you got it. I didn't want to loose the optical bay and I didn't want to use that Noctua low-profile cooler (getting around 85degC on load, ouch), so I went with the H55.

I still actually use an optical bay, and I basically wanted everything my old computer had but have it in a small case.

The only other graphics card I could have chosen without hitting the side-ways radiator would have been the Zotac GTX760, but I got a good deal on the Asus GTX670 used for cheaper on eBay, so I couldn't pass that up. I could have moved the radiator and had the hoses at the top and choose any 10" graphics card, but I was looking at a GTX670 or GTX760 anyway.

Love the SG05 case. Nice work! Looks great.

I really like it, too. I first saw the first version at a Fry's in Atlanta 3 years ago and always thought I should make a Linux box or something. It wasn't until recently that I saw ITX boards are actually capable and decided to make one after the wife encouraged me to "do what makes me happy."

I'd actually switch it to an Ncase M1 in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on one.

I really like it, too. I first saw the first version at a Fry's in Atlanta 3 years ago and always thought I should make a Linux box or something. It wasn't until recently that I saw ITX boards are actually capable and decided to make one after the wife encouraged me to "do what makes me happy."

I'd actually switch it to an Ncase M1 in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on one.

Awesome build, looks super clean! I am looking to do a very similar build although with an ASRock Z87E and an i5 4430. I picked up a 9.5 inch long 7870 and was really hoping I could fit it in with the H60 radiator sideways and keep the optical bay. You mention it won't fit with a 10 inch, is there any chance the 9.5 will fit? :eek:

For the H60 radiator to go sideways the GPU needs to be under 232 mm long (9.125"). That's with rad mounted directly to the front, and single fan behind. For two fans, the GPU needs to be under 208mm (8.25")

For the H60 radiator to go sideways the GPU needs to be under 232 mm long (9.125"). That's with rad mounted directly to the front, and single fan behind. For two fans, the GPU needs to be under 208mm (8.25")

yargh! :( That's frustrating. This was the only case I found that was under 8 inches tall and still had a decent amount of room for cooling and a big gpu. Or so I thought. I guess I could get an external bluray drive but that kind of defeats the purpose.

yargh! :( That's frustrating. This was the only case I found that was under 8 inches tall and still had a decent amount of room for cooling and a big gpu. Or so I thought. I guess I could get an external bluray drive but that kind of defeats the purpose.

What's wrong with getting the 670 or 760 mini? The 670 mini in mine works great. I probably didn't have to modify the connector because it looks like it'll still fit, but I did it while waiting for it to arrive.

You can actually fit the Zotac GTX760 in there or MSI's new GTX760.

What's wrong with getting the 670 or 760 mini? The 670 mini in mine works great. I probably didn't have to modify the connector because it looks like it'll still fit, but I did it while waiting for it to arrive.

You can actually fit the Zotac GTX760 in there or MSI's new GTX760.

There's certainly nothing wrong with them other than the price :( I suppose at this point I either pay the extra 100 bucks or get crafty with a dremel. I found some interesting options for doing a bit of case hacking to make it all fit. Nowhere near as clean as yours though! ;)

http://forum.corsair.com/upload/h50minipc.pdf

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1760942

Those two links helped me when building mine. I'm hoping me putting up pictures helps you decide as well.

As for my GTX670 mini, I was able to snag it used (2 months used) on eBay for $210 plus shipping. You might be able to do the same!

Back