Watercooled Setup Finished - Pictures (who still uses 56k?)

thewhiteguy

Supreme [H]ardness
I finished a new design of the loop today, last week's design was annoying since I didn't have any right angle barbs on my res so I had to use the Y and more tubing than I'd like to. Anywho, I'm pretty happy with this new setup and I think it's time to post some pictures (this is a crappy Kodak camera).

Overall view:
38885_inside_overview.jpg

Reservoir and pump (Reservoirs kick ass, go away h8ters :p):
c1408_resandpump.jpg

Danger Den RBX (gg Swiftech):
50f03_block.jpg

Connection up to my radiator:
c893a_torad.jpg

The external radiator ('77 Boneville):
472df_rad.jpg

9ca17_rad_side.jpg

If you have any questions or want close-up pictures of parts of the setup, let me know.

not bad, love the pvc res, that's what i built my first res out of and yeah, having a res is infinitely easier than going without. question tho

what kind of pump is that? and can you hear it?

i ask because i'm debating on replacing my eheim 1048 with a 12v pump but am hesitant because the eheim is silent and i like that.

Pretty clean setup. Perhaps a little spray paint on the res to spice it up a bit. ;)

Devilpup said:
what kind of pump is that? and can you hear it?
It's the Swiftech MCP650 and I don't notice it anymore. It's like a 7200RPM hard drive without an FDB motor. The noise it makes is higher pitched than other components so with the case closed it's not bad. I've never heard any other pumps so I can't make any comparisons.

Impact9 said:
Pretty clean setup. Perhaps a little spray paint on the res to spice it up a bit. ;)
Personally, I prefer the "this is cheap and ghetto look" ;)

why arn't you using an MCW 6002? ;)

but serious that looks pretty good.

Temps?

Nice job! It least you were smart enough to put the radiator in front of the waterblock.

Temps?

DryFire said:
why arn't you using an MCW 6002? ;)
:mad:

I can't really say, my motherboard's temps are completely screwed up. With an Alpha 8942, Zalman 7000, stock intel and now this water cooler I can NOT get it to register anything below 48C on this CPU (or on the old 1.6A) :rolleyes:

However, I loaded the system up with Prime95 for a couple hours and my temps only went up about 4C to 53C (started at 49C). This is at 3.2GHz with +.2V (I can't even remember what the stock voltage is for Prescotts :eek:)

why don't you run your memory in dual channel? Is there something i'm missing? :\

diredesire said:
why don't you run your memory in dual channel? Is there something i'm missing? :\
Either the memory or the motherboard is crap*. I can't run those in dual channel much above 133MHz :mad:

I'm pretty sure it's the mobo.

R1ckCa1n said:
Nice job! It least you were smart enough to put the radiator in front of the waterblock.

Temps?

That does NOT matter in the least where the parts go. Put them where they fit best, route the hose for the cleanest look, and forget about it. The pump adds such a small amount of heat to the loo that it is INSIGNIFICANT....

TheRapture said:
That does NOT matter in the least where the parts go. Put them where they fit best, route the hose for the cleanest look, and forget about it. The pump adds such a small amount of heat to the loo that it is INSIGNIFICANT....
I think he's just trying to troll, don't worry about it too much.

Pretty nice!! I like your res too..I've been using a similar PVC setup up myself for a few months...like what you did with the external core too...very nice job all in all.... :)

RipperMac said:
Pretty nice!! I like your res too..I've been using a similar PVC setup up myself for a few months...like what you did with the external core too...very nice job all in all.... :)
PVC reservoirs are the only way to go. You're not limited to two holes that are given to you, plus you don't have to worry about it breaking. A bomb wouldn't make this res leak :D

And I am *REALLY* liking the drain I put at the bottom. Unscrew the cap, open the valve and pretty much the entire system drains. Tilting the machine back to drain the radiator removes all but a few ounces of water (the water that you could spend a year trying to get it all out of the radiator).

I'm asking more than anything... I don't see a point in having a reservoir unless it's for looks... in which a PVC res is ugly unless you put a graphix sticker on it maybe ;)

So my question is, what good is a reservoir?

Very nice. You have illustrated the perfect execution of the external on-top-of-your-box radiator. Many people can't fit a big double radiator inside their systems, and I often suggest something like what you did and they never get what I'm talking about...very clean and looks easy to maintain as well.

bellevegasj said:
I'm asking more than anything... I don't see a point in having a reservoir unless it's for looks... in which a PVC res is ugly unless you put a graphix sticker on it maybe ;)

At least in my case, it would take quite a long time to bleed the system with a T-line unless I was willing to run the pump half dry. With this res, I cycle between running the pump and filling. The pump never runs dry. Reservoirs also provide a means to easily drain the loop if it has a drain of some sort.

And it's not ugly, it looks industrial ;)

Deadlierchair said:
Very nice. You have illustrated the perfect execution of the external on-top-of-your-box radiator. Many people can't fit a big double radiator inside their systems, and I often suggest something like what you did and they never get what I'm talking about...very clean and looks easy to maintain as well.
Thanks, I'll post pictures of the external rad box sometime tonight or tomorrow.

bellevegasj said:

Using a res makes bleeding and servicing the system a heck of a lot easier. Granted plain PVC is not as attractive as say a clear acrylic solution but I've had both a T-Line and a Bay Res(noisy as hell) and I'm a heck of a lot more confident with my PVC....as a note..if I could find a way to cut and drill acyrlic tubing without cracking it I would switch to a clear tube... :D

RipperMac said:
Using a res makes bleeding and servicing the system a heck of a lot easier. Granted plain PVC is not as attractive as say a clear acrylic solution but I've had both a T-Line and a Bay Res(noisy as hell) and I'm a heck of a lot more confident with my PVC....as a note..if I could find a way to cut and drill acyrlic tubing without cracking it I would switch to a clear tube... :D
You can get clear PVC pipe. It's a little pricey, but probably not any more so than thick acrylic tubing.

thewhiteguy said:
WARNING: Ghettoness increases drastically from this point on :eek: :D

That's maybe a little ghetto, but the fact that it's mounted so well and looks cool detracts from the ghettoness. I think to be truly ghetto you need to add a cardboard shroud :D

Deadlierchair said:
That's maybe a little ghetto, but the fact that it's mounted so well and looks cool detracts from the ghettoness. I think to be truly ghetto you need to add a cardboard shroud :D
It's built about as tough as the reservoir. You could pick up the whole case by the radiator if you really wanted to.

i think it looks better that way. You'd need to shroud the fans to the heatercore though, which i guess is extra work.

Sad times without dual channel, but we'll live. I like the res, i had to make my own out of polycarb... pain in the ass. My pump is too powerful to bleed with a T line... It'd take DAYS to do, i just prefer the res look sometimes, too. I think PVC is pretty awesome as well. Did you tap the PVC sides straight or are they reinforced? I've had some major trouble with acrylic and poly carb tubes in the past.

diredesire said:
Sad times without dual channel, but we'll live. I like the res, i had to make my own out of polycarb... pain in the ass. My pump is too powerful to bleed with a T line... It'd take DAYS to do, i just prefer the res look sometimes, too. I think PVC is pretty awesome as well. Did you tap the PVC sides straight or are they reinforced? I've had some major trouble with acrylic and poly carb tubes in the past.

what pump do you use? and why won't you be able to bleed with it?

DryFire said:
i think it looks better that way. You'd need to shroud the fans to the heatercore though, which i guess is extra work.
That's a common misconceptions and makes people do more work than they have do. My shord works just as well as an angled one attached to the botton of the fans. All a shroud is supposed to do is force the fans to get their air from the other side of the heatercore and mine does just that, was easy to make, and covers up everything.

diredesire said:
Did you tap the PVC sides straight or are they reinforced? I've had some major trouble with acrylic and poly carb tubes in the past.
Yeah the res is taped with regular 1/2" pipe thread. It's not a problem because that res is REALLY thick. It's built from couplers connected with pipe so it's double thick everywhere.

thewhiteguy said:
That's a common misconceptions and makes people do more work than they have do. My shord works just as well as an angled one attached to the botton of the fans. All a shroud is supposed to do is force the fans to get their air from the other side of the heatercore and mine does just that, was easy to make, and covers up everything.

o i know your cover all one works. I was reffering to if you removed that.

DryFire said:
o i know your cover all one works. I was reffering to if you removed that.
Yeah I haven't tested without the shroud, but I'd imagine the performance would certainly suffer without it.

Epicenter said:
What actual computer components are you using?
Pentium 4 2.4A
1GB Geil PC3500
Albatron PX865PE Pro (this sucks, don't buy it)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
ATI TV Wonder VE
Maxtor 160GB
Lite-on 12X DVD Burner
Athenatech A747 Case

Back