Watercooled desk

|-Goku-|

[H]ard|Gawd
I know it has been done before, but I am taking a shot at making a watercooled desk :)

First day progress:
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Lid attached on hinges
IMG_0281-1.jpg

Test fitting
IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Everything fit really nicely, I might turn the radiator around. Trying to find a Dual 5.25 bezel to go around the reservoir, to cover up the crappy jigsaw cut I made :).

Got the power button and the fan grills in today, and will be looking to get it painted this weekend, and then going to order the glass!

Got the fans, and fan grills fitted, will get a picture of that tomorrow. First round of sanding done. Time to paint the mobo tray, and start priming the desk. But I have a bunch of yard work to do this week, so that might not happen until this weekend :(

Great idea. I've seen this done once before, but instead he made the entire top made of glass with the components mounted under where you would have your monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'm excited to see the outcome of this in the coming weeks/months this is gonna be a neat design for sure.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get some sanding and painting on it done this week. But I just got hit with a cold -_-, so who knows how long it will be now. Bleh...

Check out IKEA if you have one near you. You may be able to find a glass or some other top that fits your dimensions for a decent price.

Ehh looks like they only make 25 5/8" wide tops and your photos look deeper than that.

I have one on my wife's desk and its not too bad. My desk is also only 24" deep. I would prefer a 30" top but its not the end of the world.

Last edited:
I need wood... and tools..... lots and lots of tools.... :D I've wanted to make my own desk for quite awhile now, just need to be able to..... I need to learn sketchup though then maybe I can get something started.

Anyways OT, looks decent so far, any reason the rad is so far away? (or at least it seems it with all the tubing) I think if you wanted a shorter run and moved the res and pump left that should make it quite a bit shorter then in the old hole you could make a faceplate with the typical "front ports" on cases, usb 2.0 maybe 3.0 too if your board has it, FP audio etc.

I need wood... and tools..... lots and lots of tools.... :D I've wanted to make my own desk for quite awhile now, just need to be able to..... I need to learn sketchup though then maybe I can get something started.

Anyways OT, looks decent so far, any reason the rad is so far away? (or at least it seems it with all the tubing) I think if you wanted a shorter run and moved the res and pump left that should make it quite a bit shorter then in the old hole you could make a faceplate with the typical "front ports" on cases, usb 2.0 maybe 3.0 too if your board has it, FP audio etc.

I'll give you a trick: most major wood selling store (homedepot for exemple) Will be ready to cut it for you. Furthermore you could rent the toools you need, sometimes you'll rent the 500$ tool you cant afford for a weekend at less then 50$.

Me with every project (IT or woodworking) I force myself to buy one tool of professional quality. This way slowly but surely I get to have more and more tool. Professional quality sometimes cost double the price, but they never wear out, they don't break and in the long run it cost less. Plus they handle themselves better.

And when it comes to sketchup, well a pen, paper, rule, tape measurer still works!

Finally, practice for free: volunteer yourself to help your friends/community it will increasde your skill for when you will start your own project, it might also find you people ready to led a few tools or some help.

question: are you drawing anything out? any blueprints? if so any chance of you uploading them? i'd love to build something like this of my own and it would be awesome to have a rough idea to follow/modify

the radiator will be rotated so that there is less tubing needed. I will most likely just used a USB hub, and since my headset is USB, I don't need front audio.

question: are you drawing anything out? any blueprints? if so any chance of you uploading them? i'd love to build something like this of my own and it would be awesome to have a rough idea to follow/modify

I drew it out in sketchup, if you would like it, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Got around to painting it last night. Sanded it all down, and then used a tack rag to clean up the dust. After the paint was on, it was very rough due to the wood grains coming to the surface of the paint, so I will be sanding it down, and putting one more layer on later.

Glass has been ordered, and should be here next week sometime. Also, I switched from a black EK spin res to a clear one to see the blue liquid better! :)

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

The "Bracket" in the above picture is for the PSU, it just slides right in!
IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

The "Bracket" in the above picture is for the PSU, it just slides right in!

That "bracket" is looking a little "[H]" ;)

Sanded down the first coat of paint. Trying to make it all smooth :D. Also a picture of the new reservoir in place!

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Update:
Painted, and moved into the house. System is fully setup, and watercooling system is filled. Picked up the glass today on my way to work.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Picture of the desk with the glass on it

IMG_0352.jpg

Still need to do some work to get everything to align perfectly :D

Looks like its coming along nicely. I like the partial glass top. Also, a design or logo etched into the glass from underneath would be cool. You can use whatever you want to make the design and etch it chemically. Just a thought. Nice job.

Wow, not bad at all! Wish I had a watercooled desk too. :)

Might need to start modding one day..

Amazing, reminds me of the one I saw last year which was all over top mod sites. Looks nice bro!

Everything is setup, except for the hard drives. I am waiting for a longer SATA III Cable to put it inside the desk. I also need to get the UV lights installed.

But it's up and running and I'm playing games on it :D

IMG_0361.jpg

Back