Waterblock deposits

sl1982

Limp Gawd
Hey guys im putting togethr my first loop and i took apart the apogee gtz to clean it before i set it up and noticed a few spots that werent flat and had some sort of dark grey crap in them. I tried cleaning with ketchup and vinegar as the guide stated. Also tried boiling water and they wont come off. Are these deposits alright to leave? Is it going to screw anything up?

Thanks

This is a brand new block, I take it? Strange.

I would not want to leave any deposits in the block if at all. Have you hit it with a (new, clean) toothbrush? Scrub until the stuff comes off, or it is apparent that the discoloration is not a physical deposit. I generally scrub with a new toothbrush after leaving the block submerged in vinegar for 5-10min. Rinse with boiling water during/upon reassembly and seal the barbs until installation.

Heh i scrubbed with a new toothbrush until my arm almost fell off. They almost seem like when the block was forged it was done improperly

Contact the retailer (and then Swiftech, if you get nowhere) about an RMA, especially if you really do have physical deposits and not just discoloration. I'm not sure what Swiftech's warranty policy is, but hopefully you won't have problems since you took the block apart.

can you post pics? i'm almost wondering if someone screwed up with the machining and burned the metal a bit. FYI water blocks aren't forged;)

Ill see what i can do about pics when i get home from work. Im gunna hook up the loop and see if it works (doesnt leak) If its alright i probably am not gunna bother with RMA. Waited too long as it is to get my loop up and running.

Taking apart a new block doesn't make sense.

Did you buy the Apogee GTZ block 2nd hand? If so, the first concern is the previous owner didn't maintain the block as it should have been.

If I were you I would contact the previous owner and find out what type of fluid(s) were used in the block and then work from there.

Swiftech has great RMA.
You can call Michelle directly and they will cross ship you a new piece.

I would not settle for anything but perfect. I had a radiator that leaked at the seal, all it took was a phone call and I had my problem solved.:D

Swiftech is by far one of the easiest companies to contact and do business with.

Nope it was brand new. Cost me 90 bucks with the am2 adapter.

It may just be residue from the manufacture, email Swiftech tech support.

Gabriel Raschon (spelling??) owns the place and he is the one who answers the tech questions, he will set you straight.

When I bought my Apogee GTX, I had a problem with that black piece that goes on the back of the motherboard, it just wouldn't work.......the guy called me on the phone, we talked about the problem for over 30 minutes, and the next day I got a solution at my front door.:D

I have nothing but good to say about Swiftech.

Back