Water question what is OD/ID

musicman_ace

Limp Gawd
I am looking into buying a water cooling kit for a AMD64 system I'm putting together. Its just to make the PC quiet, I don't intend to overclock it for at least a year.

My question is what is OD and ID? Some vendors actually tell you that a waterblock is one of the two, some just say that it will fit a certain socket type. I'm fairly certain that all the components need to be one or the other, but I'd like to know what they mean and if there is a major difference.

Thanks everyone

Originally posted by musicman_ace
I am looking into buying a water cooling kit for a AMD64 system I'm putting together. Its just to make the PC quiet, I don't intend to overclock it for at least a year.

My question is what is OD and ID? Some vendors actually tell you that a waterblock is one of the two, some just say that it will fit a certain socket type. I'm fairly certain that all the components need to be one or the other, but I'd like to know what they mean and if there is a major difference.

Thanks everyone

Oouter Diameter / Inner Diameter :D :D

OD and ID refer to the tubing sizes used in the watercooling loop.

ID is the inner diameter of the tube. Most high end watercooling systems use 1/2'' ID tubing.

OD is the outer diameter of the tube. It is also the correct size of barb that you need (what you attach the hoses to). For a 1/2'' ID system, you want a 1/2'' OD barb.

Hope this helps.

-OMP

Back