water pump

I want to water cool my system and I don't really want to buy a set...
I need some advice with water pumps now.
What's the big difference between the 12 volt water pumps and the 220 volt pumps?
I know that with a 12v pump I could just hook it up to the power supply. I have a 550 watt power supply cooled by one 120mm fan. Would that be enough? I mean would it be ok to have the pump running off it?
Here is a picture of the 12v pump:

eh104612v4gu.jpg

The 220v pump looks the same as the 12v pump but doesn’t have the CD Slot thing.. I keep my computer on 24/7 so really wouldn't have to worry about plugging in the pump and unplugging it...The 12v pump costs about 50 bucks more then the 220v pump!
What do you all think?

I'm sure your power supply is enough. My dangerden d4 pump draws something like 24 watts. not even a fart in the wind to a PS like yours. The big difference between AC pumps and DC pumps is that the AC ones need to be plugged into the wall. If you get a relay then you can have your AC pump start with your computer.

The main thing to look at is the amount of head. The GPH rating is pretty subjective and probably doesn't even apply to WC because of all the restriction in the loop. I like my D4 pump. Many other people recommend the MCP-600. (I think) You should be able to find about a million threads on pumps here.

if you have your computer on 24/7 i would say get the A\C version and save your money

the pump you showed is a 12v 1046, at 300 liter per hour that is a little underpowered IMO . i would get atleast the 220 volt 1048 at 600 liter/hour it flows twice as much. I would say going to a 1250 is overkill. so i would look for a pump in the 600 lph range. i myself have a eheim S600 (600 lph) pump and it work great.

flowrate is not really as important in watercooling (depending on your particular setup) as head pressure is.

get a CSP 750
image1big.jpg

It's cheaper than either one of the pumps you're looking at and you can plug it into a fan header or a fan controler!

Buy it Here

Edit: It's also FREAKIN' TINY!! Check out the dimentions:

The CSP750 dimensions are approx 2” x 2” x 2"

lots of people would tell you to stay away from the csp750 like the plague however. They have had to constantly revise that pump due to failures, I believe they are currently on their third revision. A pump shouldn't need to be revised so often, just my 2 cents.

Quicksilver said:
get a CSP 750
image1big.jpg

It's cheaper than either one of the pumps you're looking at and you can plug it into a fan header or a fan controler!

Buy it Here

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. I would seriously caution anyone to stay away from a pump marketed for computer cooling and giving no actual flow rate or head specification numbers. Especially considering they want over $50 bucks for it.
Omitting specification info = bad, bad, bad.
If you want a good performing pump and are willing to shell out some bucks, stick with the ones that have been around for a while and are from reputible, established watercooling equipment dealers.
If you want to keep your costs down, the Maxijet 1200 can't be beat. I use this pump in my system to flow water through a LRWW CPU block and a DD Maze4 GPU. It's quiet, powerful enough and has been in my system for about a year and 1/2 now with 0 issues. These pumps can be found for ~$20 bucks + shipping. Just google around for it.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

cgrant26 said:
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. I would seriously caution anyone to stay away from a pump marketed for computer cooling and giving no actual flow rate or head specification numbers.

Well to each his own, but don't think that just because the retailer omitted specs, doesn't mean the manufacturer has. Check Here for specs.

I know that some people here would chide me for saying so but, flowrate is one of the LEAST important factors in pump chioce, far behind head rating, of which this pump does extremely well.

This two things that make this pump stand out are:
1. it's small size, 4 way adjustable outlet, and fan header meaning ease of installation.
2. It's performance being on par with more expensive pumps.

I have two of these in two different machines, and the temps I get are great.

No one will believe me, but I can actually turn the voltage going to the pump down to 7v and my temps increase by 2-3 degrees F.

As far as I'm concerned, that right there is all the evidence I need to tell me this is a good pump, and IMHO the best pump on the market, period.

But there are plenty of larger, more expensive pumps out there to over-kill your cooling.

Erasmus354 said:
lots of people would tell you to stay away from the csp750 like the plague however. They have had to constantly revise that pump due to failures, I believe they are currently on their third revision. A pump shouldn't need to be revised so often, just my 2 cents.

Yes, I am familiar with the mechanical problems that plagued the earlier revisions. The current revision (rev. #2, the only one available for retail purchace) has addressed the issue of bearing failure. The new revision (rev. #3) is to increase performance, and I will surely buy one.

you have this PSU with the entire back a screen and 1 120mm in the bottom? I have that PSU, soldered a 220v cable to the inside, passed it through a hole and connected an eheim 1048 to it. pump is on while PSU has power and I can kill it with the PSU power switch, worth saving the 50$.

(pics in the sticky)

Quicksilver said:
get a CSP 750
image1big.jpg

Buy it Here

I have one and it worked great while in use, which was about 6 months. Im going to build a two loop system and use it for my GFX card.
Anyway to tell what version you have?

cgrant26 said:
If you want to keep your costs down, the Maxijet 1200 can't be beat. I use this pump in my system to flow water through a LRWW CPU block and a DD Maze4 GPU. It's quiet, powerful enough and has been in my system for about a year and 1/2 now with 0 issues. These pumps can be found for ~$20 bucks + shipping. Just google around for it.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

Here's another vote for the MaxiJet 1200. Probably the best deal in pumps. Mine is very quiet and I've had ZERO problems with it. It's designed for aquariums so running it 24/7 day in day out is no problem. Comes with a nice mounting base too.

Thanks guys so far for the answers!

Well to be honest I would like to stick with the Eheim pump. I was reading some reviews and they said that the 1046 is actually more recommended then the 1048 pump. If it is ok running the12v pump off my power supply, then I think I will just get the 12v pump. This would be the safest way just in case I would forget to plug in the pump someday…:)

Back