Water Powered Fan?

Just FYI most fans nowdays cause noise not due to the mechanism driving them but rather due to the air turbulence they create. Most fans spinning fast enough to cool effectively are going to create noise regardless of whats driving them.

KingThot said:
Just FYI most fans nowdays cause noise not due to the mechanism driving them but rather due to the air turbulence they create. Most fans spinning fast enough to cool effectively are going to create noise regardless of whats driving them.

I will never believe this...if I turn off my computer...the fans are a lot quieter for the 2 seconds they are slowing down.

Steeeeve said:
I will never believe this...if I turn off my computer...the fans are a lot quieter for the 2 seconds they are slowing down.

If you're being sarcastic, please forgive me.

But of course it's the turbulence making the noise, WTF ELSE COULD IT BE... If anyone has ever taken a look at the motor that drives our little fans, the only moving part is the fan assembly. Of course it's quieter as it slows down..the slower it spins, the less turbulence there is.

Anyway, if we're gonna go all out for whacky ideas...btw, the water powered fan is just stupid I have to say..wtf is the point? The pump will just have to work harder and you can't defy thermodynamics..the energy is to turn that fan is gonna come from somewhere..

Why not create some sort of Stirling engine heatsink/radiator that will recover waste heat and attach it to a generator or even a water pump. Self powered contained system. Increase efficiency.

Why not create some sort of Stirling engine heatsink/radiator that will recover waste heat and attach it to a generator or even a water pump. Self powered contained system. Increase efficiency.

Enough to be worth it :rolleyes:?

To say that you have a Stirling cooling setup that recovers wasted energy? Hell yea. Economically..probably not. But the coolness factor...priceless.

why not take the fan out of equation run a three foot tall fountain and as the water spashes about and falls the three foot it will lose the heat and you will no longer have a fan noise.

not to mention how classy those water fountains look :rolleyes:

Alright, that I can understand... but... really...Yay 300rpm fans :)

Seriously, I want one of these. I saw some videos of the handheld ones on Howstuffworks.com... Imagine that running on top of an aluminum case :).

Oh and for the comment above... What about evaporation?

stealthy123 said:
why not take the fan out of equation run a three foot tall fountain and as the water spashes about and falls the three foot it will lose the heat and you will no longer have a fan noise.

not to mention how classy those water fountains look :rolleyes:
until crap starts growing in the loop. lol use listerine, kills crap in the loop and smells good

To my knowledge, the only way to make a fan quieter and move the same amount of air is to make it bigger....Say something like 160mm. Simply because you are slowing the rpm down to reduce turbulence and using bigger blades to displace a larger amount of air.. basic aeronautics.

As for a water powered fan...the kewl factor would be stellar.. being a water cooled enthusiast myself. But its actually feasible. The easy part is generating enough energy to move the fan at a respectable cooling speed. This is how: in fluid dynamics, when you run fluid in a tube and restrict it, but not close it, then unrestrict it (like going from 1/2" to 1/4" then back to 1/2") over a short gap, the fluid coming out of the restriction is at least 33% faster than when it entered the restriction; but only for a short distance (this works like your basic garden hose nozzle) . The rate of acceleration is a 2 factorial, of course controlled by flow rate, restriction percentage, and distance.

I guess the hard part would be engineering a bearing/rod configuration to access the point of acceleration and tranfer the kinetic energy to a fan or two. Regardless it would be cool to see...

2 years of tech school@Keesler AFB, MS in applied military aeronautics is good for something I guess...(Now I'm a civilian and a med student) =)

Back