• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Water noob - future build rad question

zero2dash

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
Messages
6,105
My Rocketfish needs a 'tenant' and I've decided I will be trying water. :)

Right now the plans for the build are -

Q6600 (oc 3.6ghz+)
IP35 Pro
eVGA 9800GTX
8gigs Mushkin DDR2 800
Corsair TX750w

I was planning on getting a Swiftech Apogee GTX Extreme block for the Q6600 and a Swiftech MCW60-R block for the 9800GTX (assuming it fits, otherwise I'll get whatever does fit that just covers the G92 core).

I figured a single Swiftech MCP655 (regular or B version, not sure which to buy yet) would work ok.

My question is on the rad -
planning on doing a 3x120mm.

I know most people go with the Thermochill PA120.3 but then I saw (on Jab-tech) the Swiftech MCR320-QP-K for roughly $80 less. Now I'm not wanting to spend as little as possible, and I know the Thermochill is arguably the best rad out there temp wise. But what I am wondering is: given the components that I will be cooling (Q6600, 9800GTX), would the Thermochill be worth the extra $80 or will the temp difference be pretty low that the Swiftech MCR320 would be sufficient? :confused:

TIA
 
Most people do not go with the PA120.3 :p.

They're not worth the price, really... a 100% markup for a 20% performance boost.

With a Q6600 at around 3.6ghz, and an overclocked 9800GTX, you'll be putting about 325w of heat into the loop. An MCR320 will handle this with 3 medium speed yate loon fans, if you can take the noise.

If you have room (you do) I'd pick up a triple MCR radiator plus another single radiator. This will outperform the thermochill, cost less, and let you use 4 low speed yate loons (Saving about 4dba noise).
 
Arcy is correct. While the TC is the best, the price is often a killer so the next best thing is a MCR320 and if you are a bit limited in dissipation capacity, just add a MCR120 as well.

 
Awesome :)
Thank you guys for the info ;)
I was planning on S-Flex for the fans (now that I've bought them for my V1000), probably either SFF21E's or SFF21F's. :cool:
 
Hilarious man! I'm selling the entire setup you're talking about HERE. MCW60, Apogee GT Extreme, and swiffy 3x120mm rad with a couple S-flex fans! Obviously there are other parts as well but it's already assembled and waiting for somebody to give it a loving home. best of luck...
 
Back
Top