Water evaporating?

XViper

Gawd
I've been running my setup for a while. I notice that I'm having to fill the water quite a bit more than I used to. Some people are telling me it's evaporation. There are no leaks. I'm having to fill the res about once every two weeks.

The only thing I think it could be is that the cap on my res has a light and maybe that's not sealing properly? What else could it be?

I got that in my loop too, in my case at least I know what it is.

It is a leak, a really tiny one, it is so slow that you never see water because it evaporates faster than it seeps out. Over the months though I have noticed a chalky mineral crust developing where the acrylic res tube threads on to the pump.

So I would say check closely all your joints for crust.

If you don't have an open fill port then there should be no evaporation in the loop. You have a leak somewhere.

It's possible then. A small enough leak that evaporates faster than it seeping out. I always thought if there's a leak then the pump would be making noise since air is getting into the system.

It's possible then. A small enough leak that evaporates faster than it seeping out. I always thought if there's a leak then the pump would be making noise since air is getting into the system.

Not if the leak is after the pump.

I found the cause, it's the res cap. The rubber o-ring appeared cracked and air was leaking out. Replaced the cap entirely and water level has been the same and has not gone down at all.

Spoke too soon. I see bubbles in the loop now. No leak that I can see.

All fittings are dry. I'm gonna to retighten the fittings this weekend but I'm out of ideas.

One of your blocks could be leaking if a screw has worked its way loose or a gasket got pinched when it was being put together.

Back