Water cooling v2 aio vs custom

Keljian

[H]ard|Gawd
Once I water cooled in an FT-02, I didn’t get much in the way of a decent result, but it worked for a while until the pump died. The pump was second hand, I didn’t have the patience to strip it all down so I sold it all.

Now I am a bit older and am looking at water cooling again, but trying to work out whether to go custom or AIO.

If I go custom, It will be CPU only until I get my next GPU at least, it could possibly be the only thing cooled by this anyhow. Thing is I wouldn’t be going for the best of the best gear, it’d be a mid range setup. I would also be trying to cool for the silence.

My current case is an inexpensive cooler master master box lite, and it spends its life hidden behind a desk, as such I don’t really care how much or how little bling I am putting into it. The case has room for a single 280 or a 360 (the latter is my preference as I have lots of spare fans). I could probably carve out more room in the top of the case with a jigsaw if I needed it, though I think I would rather just buy another case if I was going down that road.

I live in a dusty environment, all my fans have filters on them.

The thing is, I want whatever setup I get to last me 5-8 years at least, as it is an investment, and I am not keen to be pulling down the rig every year, so probably would run car coolant in there if going custom.

While I appreciate that no one can make the choice for me, I would really like some opinions to help with the decision.

Also: random question, what size flexible tubing should I use if I go custom?

Last edited:
Buy a D5 pump and res and the 360 radiator. Those will last build after build.

Antifreeze works great, generally in the 25% antifreeze / 75% water range, though 50/50 will also work.

Tubing: anything above 3/8" is fine, you'll see a small drop off going down to 1/4". I've run 5/16"x7/16" on 3/8" barbs before. No need for clamps, really have to work to get it to kink. I've also ran the 3/8" tygon that home depot sells, it last forever, but is easier to kink.

I'd you are chasing show builds, then it can be really complicated and pricey. However if you are going for function first, then it's actually easier. Decide you want to add a GPU, then it's just a matter of draining, adding it inline and refill...

Silly question, why d5 over ddc?
d5 typically has more accessories and repair parts available as standard. Many reservoirs and such are built to use d5 pumps. ddc is a smaller form factor in my experience, but barbs are often built in and "as-is".

I've used a swiftec ddc pump for the last 15 years. I only replaced it once after maybe 12 years of continuous service (and I bought that one used) in my primary build.

I've used a swiftec ddc pump for the last 15 years. I only replaced it once after maybe 12 years of continuous service (and I bought that one used) in my primary build.

When you say continuous service - were you running 24/7?

Back