Water cooling that really cools!

WeldZilla

Limp Gawd
Why have water cooling if it is only marginally better than really solid air cooling? Perhaps noise is an issue with you. For me it is not!!.
Wife, Kids, TV's Stereos, Barking dogs! Give me the staedy drone of some cooling fans!!! Well Let's see what I mean by way better than air

My System:
Water cooling is indeed a very good solution!!! It keeps temps much lower and you have far less variation in those temps.

I run a Prescott 540J 3.2 ghz Processor. Nicknamed' "Preshott"
My motherboard Epox 5PDAJ. My memory 2x256 G.Skill PC4400LE
1 200 gig Maxtor Sata HDD, Liteon DVD-Rom, Liteon DVD-RW
ATI Radeon X850XT, Antec Tru-Power 550.

My cooling System,
Eheim 1250 Pump $52US , Swiftech 6002-775 Water-block $41US
Heater Core From 1976 Buick Electra Limited, bought new at auto parts
store for $21US. My fan is a Dayton 4C447 squirrel cage fan. $47US.
This fan moves so much air it blow air right out through your intake fans!!
If you can't let enough of it pass through your case and out again.
you see I keep the fan on the floor and route the air to my radiator through
a dryer hose. (4in. dia approx 10cm ) Then it goes into some heater
ducting to spread out the air over my radiator Hose $7US Duct $5US
Duct tape $2US. My resevoir is made from pvc The pipe, the caps,
the fittings, and the hose to run all this liquid came to $14US
Approx $190US.
OK so how well does it cool. Well I'll tell you it keeps things really
Cool Here is a shot running PCMark04 at 4400mhz!!! Check out
My cpu temp!!
coolrunning.jpg

I have never seen a Prescott even idle at that 25C before.
Here is a shot of just how high all this cooling will let me go!!
ghghghg.jpg

Now here are some shots of my cooling setup..
WZ3-1.jpg

Yes that water block is oriented correctly on my board!!
I cut 2 120mm holes in my panel then joined them to make
one big nice one for air to easily get through me radiator
and into my case.
68.jpg

Here is a pic of the rad in it's box.
66.jpg

103.jpg

This is how it looked with 2 120mm fans. you will notice also I keep
My pump out of my case. It is a heat source and a potential
Hi-pressure wash!!! Although I have never had a leak in nearly 5 years
of liquid cooling! Now the Squirrel cage fan. This is a shot of my old one.
I now have a new one.
MVC-004F.jpg
The coolest air is on the floor. when it is cold out I set it out the
Door.
MVC-005F.jpg
Is this system beautiful duct tape and all. With my temps I think
it is!! I run daily at 4305 mhz with my mem running 1:1 . that is my video work and game playing speed Hey you may think it is a bit much. But you have to decide what
want I know most everyone who posts in forums wants the same things
MORE SPEED and cooler temps. My set up gives me both. Right now I am running at 4515mhz while I type this. It is easy it is a very cool morning. the door is opend about 4 inches so my fan can pull in the cold air. And I am running on the 5:4 divider with my mem at 2-3-2-5.
oo.jpg

I have replaced that squirrel cage with a new one. It is no better but I am going to clean and paint the old one. This system WORKS WELL!! I had mcafee doing a virus scan on my system also while I was typing and taking that screen shot. Otherwise my idle temp this morning is 10C or 50F. It is currently 9C or 48F outside.

WZ

that's pretty cool (haha)
May want to be careful though, if your water temp goes below ambient you may get condensation and drip :eek: I once thought about mounting my rad in my window in the winter to get nice and cool temps but then realised i'd have some nasty condensation and a cold room! heating bill wouldn't be too nice then haha.

Damn you dont have to worry about dust. You need to worry about leaves and small rodents. :D Nice temps btw.

I actually had to clean a lef out from the umbrella plant there. Not worried about condensation. There is just too much rapid air movement through the case!!
Now the cooling did a good job when it was 2 x 120mm fans.
But I was not satisfied with a good job. And for the noise concious the squirrel cage fan is very quiet. There is just a lot of wind!! And of course that is where the extreme cooling lies. " In the Whispering Wind "
2 x 120 fans were noisier than than the squirrel cage fan!
The way my intake is setup on my case the radiator sits right be hind the all the drives. There were 2 80mm fans down in front that blew air over my hdd's That is why all the little vent noles in the door of case for that air to be drawn in, Here isa pic of front of case
106.jpg

See all those holes down by the key lock on the door for air intake. Well when I turned on the squirrel cage fan the pressure on those to 80mm fans was too much. and the air just blew right through them and out of the case door. It was so cold some days that I just removed the fans and used duct tape to block off the holes. I was Freezing!!!
IMG_1048A.jpg

I really do not need other fans in the case I have them for light effect only!! cuz anywhere there is a hole air just blasts out!! Oh by the way it is a 265CFM fan.
Here is a link for you to check it out.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?ItemId=1611630891&ccitem=&xi=xi
Here is a link for an adapter so you do not have to tape a round hose on a square outlet
http://specialty-lights.com/736240.html.

WZ

wow just wow. im subscribing just so i cna come back to this to read it time and time again. i was blown away

Great idea with the squirrel cage blower and the outdoor air. This is my fav water cooling setup of all time. Sure there are some nice one's out there, but this one looks truly [H]ard, and very effective. Just maybe a little less duct tape would be nice. ;) I might just have to steal some of these ideas if I ever go the WC route.

Now if summer time comes along, what happens? put the squirrel cage inside a fridge? :cool:

Edit:
By the way. I checked out your new blower on grainger. Since the motor on this unit has sleeve bearings, you will get longer motor life by making sure the motor is sitting verticaly, not horizontal. Horizontal applications work better with ball or roller bearings.

You are right. These fans were meant to stay vertical. The fan in the picture was new in the 80's. So it has lasted well. Now as far as the duct tape goes. Yeah I got excessive but, you got to remember. This was an Epiphony!! (Sudden Brilliant Idea) I was wound up and experimenting It will all be neat and tidy soon. I promise!! I just needed to know if it was going to work! Let me tell you this is no BS. This exceeds my expectations! It works so well. It allowed me to turn off the 2 x 120mm fans that used to blow the air through it. I shut off both hdd fans. I shut off my bottom fan that blows air up and in. I shut off and removed one of my rear fans. That is 6 less fans. And still superior cooling.
I still have the blo-hole fan going the side fan on the window still blowing. One rear fan still going. I tokk 1 of the 120mm fans and put it blowing on my G.Skill memory sticks. I have all that cold air blasting into the case. I thought I should direct it to where I wanted it.
This system really works!! It is the quietest it has ever been. I will tell you .I can live with noise as long as I get the cooling I am after. Now I get it and it's quiet too!!
As for summer I have central Air-conditioning! The wife says I can even put in a room air-conditioner into our computer room to keep it even cooler as it is on the southwest corner of the house. Gets warm in the afternoon sun.
Oh an for those who Don't know that case you see started like this.
1.jpg

Then this
5.jpg

Then it became what you saw a couple posts back

WZ

If you wanna go one step further, you should cut a hole in your wall or somewhere and have it suck air directly through a hole that's covered with a screen. You would keep out any "trouble", keep the door closed and never have it sticking out like that.

I am just not worried about it..Right now it is sitting out on the porch in the night air as I type. It's all good..............

Hey here is a link for you people to checkout. I have bought fittings as well as hose from these people .Very nice to do business with. I am going to buy one of their March pumps for my next build. It has 1/2 inch fittings and puts out 7.6 gpm or 456gph. Give them a look. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp.

WZ

Back