Water Cooling n00b

Top Nurse said:
You are touchy! No arguments here just plain facts. :p But as you mentioned elsewhere you would have to mod it because it doesn't fit. The Exos fits and it doesn't need any modding. It also looks a hell of a lot better, has fan speed controls, and temperature sensing as well as readouts.
i love the way the exos looks personaly, didnt buy it because a dd system cools better for cheaper, cost me $275 for my whole system including mounts for both old cards and the 6800

autho, i think i made my dd system look comparatively cool as the exos, but thats my opinion

TN...the only thing I said you had to modify was a PCI bracket? hell you could just leave the PCI brackets out to let the tubing into the case and be done with it...no modifications needed whatsoever. Also, the last time I checked most people have the back of their cases facing away from them, so therefore how can the "looks" of having a radiator on the back of the case where you wont see it matter at all? Also not to mention the fact that the APEX radiator is not some broke ass heatercore...it is a nice, smooth, painted radiator that frankly doesn't look very bad at all....

ryuji said:
paint or anodization hurts performance iirc

only if you smother the fins in paint, painting the outer edges doesn't do much at all to the performance.

Top Nurse said:
You are touchy! No arguments here just plain facts. :p But as you mentioned elsewhere you would have to mod it because it doesn't fit. The Exos fits and it doesn't need any modding. It also looks a hell of a lot better, has fan speed controls, and temperature sensing as well as readouts.
And doesn't cool as well, the temp sensing doesn't even come close, but none of them do so it's a waste of money, and fan speed control can be done cheap enough on any system.........I think they call it a rheobus....................;)

Erasmus354 said:
only if you smother the fins in paint, painting the outer edges doesn't do much at all to the performance.
the rad looks like a bit more then the edges were painted :p

Top Nurse said:
It also looks a hell of a lot better, has fan speed controls, and temperature sensing as well as readouts.
others have addressed your other points, and althought this solution isn't as handy as having a dial based fan controller up front, swiftech's website says that:

The kit is delivered with 12V to 7V and 12V to 5V fan adapters, enabling users to to reduce the fan speed -and noise, to whisper quiet operations (~25 dBA).
this kit is so complete that it almost hurts.

distilled water is not cost effective to include. The amount that the added weight would add to the shipping would cost more than the distilled water itself.

Erasmus354 said:
distilled water is not cost effective to include. The amount that the added weight would add to the shipping would cost more than the distilled water itself.

This I know, but that is the only thing missing from the kit. At 7lbs/gal of water, adding another 3.5lbs, plus the risk of breaking doesn't make it worth it, when at most you'll pay $0.99 for a gal, more like $0.56 if ya got a walmart near by.

I don't have a floppy drive (because they suck) :p. So should I get a floppy drive bay reservoir?

GFreeman9 said:
I don't have a floppy drive (because they suck) :p. So should I get a floppy drive bay reservoir?
you've obviously never had the $h1t really hit the fan, when it comes to your computer, have you? they can be unfortunately necessary when thing break.

GFreeman9 said:
Could you recommend a good reservoir and a link where I can get one?

I would say check out frozencpu.com for resevoirs. I used to think the idea of a bay res was cool but again, I hate the idea of all of that water suspended over your HDDs and or optical equipment. It may be worth the small amount of modding work to mount a vertical res on the outside of your case.

DFI Daishi said:
you've obviously never had the $h1t really hit the fan, when it comes to your computer, have you? they can be unfortunately necessary when thing break.

Been there done that, but Feeding Frenzy gets no FD. If I ever need one it is pretty simple to reach in and attach a FD cable and hook up a power connector.

Top Nurse said:
Been there done that, but Feeding Frenzy gets no FD. If I ever need one it is pretty simple to reach in and attach a FD cable and hook up a power connector.
i do the same thing, i got one on the closet ready...

Back