• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Water Cooling Hard Drives

Vitruvius

n00b
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
36
Will water cooling my hard drive make it quiet? I am getting a ~300 gig IDE (I don't have SATA) Are there any good hard drives for silence?

Thanks!

P.S. How would I best silence my hard drive with water cooling?
 
Vitruvius said:
Will water cooling my hard drive make it quiet? I am getting a ~300 gig IDE (I don't have SATA) Are there any good hard drives for silence? How would I best silence my hard drive with water cooling?

This subject seems to be pretty popular lately ;) What drive do you have? IIRC Cathar said that his Seagates were about the quietest around. Just how much are you bothered by the noise? The solution is to put them in some kind of box cooler like Watercool and Aqua Computer makes. But I should warn you that they are not cheap. Have you thought about using a mobile HD box?
 
Well that certainly has its merits, but he is interested in cooling his hard drive and reducing the noise at the same time. Those made by Watercool and those made by Aqua Computer typify the type design that would probably cut down on noise. As you can see they come in both single and dual flavors. However, as I mentioned these items are not made in the USA and being imported are a little on the pricey side, but they definitely add some character to your box :D.

So back to a cheaper solution :) How about these mobile racks imported by JCL? While these were not designed to really quiet them down they do help a bit and depending on the model can have anywhere from a small fan to big fans for cooling. These items usually run about $20-50 USD depending on where you get them.
 
those seagate drives don't make much noise to start with, and something like the zalman cooler will deaden any vibration transfer to the case and keep the drive reasonably cool as well.

i read the original post, which is why i put up a quiet drive. if the drive itself is not making much noise to start with, then there is no need to spend extra cash on silencing noise that is not being made in the first place.
 
Which is why I asked him how much noise bothers him? I can hear some of my drives at a high pitch that others in the same room can't hear. It's just rather personal. But we should really know what drive he bought or is buying, right? Need more info :)
 
since he says that he is getting his drive, and since he is asking about what drives are good for silence, i am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that he is still considering various drives. that is why i suggested the 'cuda.

maybe he is hyper-sensitive to noise, in which case he might want to bite the bullet and get a 5400 drive for the sake of silence, but those seagate drives are quieter than WDs or maxtors, and will probably not be audible above the fans running in his rig, even if he is watercooled.

as for high-pitched annoying drives.........i can't believe that apple actually stuck a fucking death star drive into an otherwise passively cooled iMac classic. it whines like you wouldn't believe in an otherwise silent room.
 
I have 3 Seagate hard drives, they are noisy as hell. Ea. track/sector read is noisy. My first drive is SATA, the other 2 is Ultra 320 SCSI. Maybe he got the same drives I did.
 
Happy Hopping said:
I have 3 Seagate hard drives, they are noisy as hell. Ea. track/sector read is noisy. My first drive is SATA, the other 2 is Ultra 320 SCSI. Maybe he got the same drives I did.

Can't speak for the SCSI Seagates, but the IDE Seagate 'cude 7200.8's are the quietest 7200RPM drives you will come across, and there are more than a number of reviews which back that statement up.
 
Thanks for all the info!

I'm planning on running the computer as a 24 hour server in my dorm room. So I'm striving for *silence.* I'm planning on watercooling my box, here's the current purchasing plan. I haven't bought anything yet, so feel free to make changes.

P.S This may be of interest to anyone trying to silence their system, esp. by using water cooling because fans are so noisy (well, the cheap one's).

1. Case - COOLER MASTER TAC-T01-E1C Silver Aluminum Alloy ATX Mid Tower Case without Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119023
$130

2. Cooling: 1/2 inch for everything (or not, whatev)
a. Danger Den RBX - AMD 1/2" ID Water Block
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-67.html
$53
b. 1/2" ID PVC Clear Tubing
c. some hard drive cooler?
d. Reservoir: Typhoon 120X Reservoir LARGE - CLEAR
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-res-54.html
$29
e. Pump: Laing DDC (AKA Swiftech MCP350) <- this one is UGLY but super efficient and small so I'll hide it
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcpu.html -
$75 WARNING 3/8 inch barbs!!! But it plugs into the PSU so :)
f. Water blocks?
g. Radiator?

3. PSU - SilverStone ST30NF Fanless ATX12V PSU http://silentpcreview.com/article185-page1.html

4. HARD DRIVE??? Silent? 300 gig?

Thanks again!
 
if you want to use such a small and whimpy pump, you should seriously look at the swiftech MCW 6000 block, as opposed to any of the DD blocks. you could also go with the 6002, however since the pump is natively 3.8" to start with, you might consider going over to all 3/8" tubing and hardware to suit.

for the rad: go with a thin on like the black ice pro, or one of the thermochill rads so that you can use quiet fans effectively.

the new D5 pump, in it's various brandings is supposed to be good.
 
The quietest drives, hands down, are the Samsung Spinpoint P80s and P120s
Blows everyone else out of the water. Check out the DSS Buying FAQ
 
Back
Top