Water Cooling Cascade.

nhusby

Limp Gawd
I am planning on building a new mid size system. and I want to try water cooling, but I am thinking of switching to phase change later on.

so this is what I am thinking...

I am going to build an internal water loop with a pump, gpu block, cpu block, nb block, and a 4th block for heat transfer. I would put some peltiers on the 4th block and hook it up to an external system. The system would be modular.
This would keep my case nice and neat (without clutter) and I wouldnt have to drain the system to move it or change cooling sources.
I think I would start out with a secondary WC loop with a radiator, pump, and water block.

Think this would work well?
Any thoughts?

nobody gunna bite? is it just that you all think I'm stupid, or just nobody done it before? I'm disapointed... no one even said it wouldnt work... someone always atleast sais that...

are you pulling my leg, or have you tried it?

just not enouph heat transfer between the blocks? did you try it with peltiers?

Well, I'll say this: Go look at Swiftech's water chiller that uses pelters, and you'll get the picture... It requires two independent 1/2" loops to chill a single 3/8" (1/4" maybe?) loop. Now, if you want an internal and external loop (external could be attached to a chiller, huge RAD, or whatever else you might come up with), you can use a fluid-fluid heat exchanger. You best bet there is to go on ebay and buy a plate heat exchanger (about $75), but if you feel adventurous and want higher performance for our apps, you can make your own tube in shell heat exchanger.

I actually did a lot of research into this for my chiller, because I wanted to be able to run with out without the chiller, with no work other then hooking it up to have it work. I even built a prototype heat exchanger for it, but it just woudnt fit in my case (I was running SFF at the time). Surprisingly, it gave a decent amount of heating/cooling of the water that went through it when I was testing. All you need is two milk jug caps, a 1' x 1 1/2" stick of PVC pipe, two end caps, and about 10 copper tubes (smaller the better) to run between the two ends (and a LOT of epoxy).

Back