Water Cooling Capacity Questions

Man, that is looking like one mean rig. I really like your setup there.

Thanks! There are some bugs that still need to be worked out:

I’m getting horrible tearing in 3D Mark 11. This did not happen with same cards in my previous setup. Looks like I erroneously mounted the second HD 6990 in an x8 PCI-E slot instead of the 16x slot.

Another possibility is poor vram contacts to the water block. The GPU temps are OK, not sure about the vram. Next mod is to go to the 3 way bridge and reseat the water block on the second card with fresh thermal tape.

Not looking forward to draining and bleeding this sucker.

Some cosmetic changes are planned as well. :D

Hehe, no worries - was just teasing a little just before the New Year :)

Let us know how well it goes for you, but looking good thus far!

Take care, and talk soon.

I’m getting horrible tearing in 3D Mark 11. This did not happen with same cards in my previous setup. Looks like I erroneously mounted the second HD 6990 in an x8 PCI-E slot instead of the 16x slot.

Another possibility is poor vram contacts to the water block. The GPU temps are OK, not sure about the vram. Next mod is to go to the 3 way bridge and reseat the water block on the second card with fresh thermal tape.

I would be more prone to believe it has to do with the VRAM. I had this issue before with my 8800 GTXs. I replaced the stock fan with my stealth waterblocks and used these sticky tape heatsinks for the VRAM, but they kept falling off or not seating properly. I ended up removing the tape and using some sticky thermal paste instead and that worked...as long as I didn't shake the box much heh.

I second that the VRAM must be getting toasty.

But, tearing is also in indicator of RAM running either hot, or to much overclocked.

Let us know what you find though, might come in handy for someone else.

I am leaning to a vram issue as well. If I get all the parts in time then the plan is to drain the loop, re-seat the block and move the card to a 16x slot. I have to do this in one shot because draining and refiling this beast is not a trivial affair which is caused by the top mounted radiators. :mad: I'm reconsidering going to a bottom radiator configuration. :confused:

I will also be adding 3 temperature sensors and 2 flow sensors to the loop which should make debugging temp related issues a little easier.

The flow sensors will be added at the pump exit and at the reservoir entrance which should give me a nice delta readings.

The temp sensors will be added at the pump exit, at the CPU exit, and at the last GPU exit this should be interesting as well.

You could also install quick disconnects would make it much easier to move stuff without having to drain the whole loop.

I am not sure why you need so many temp and flow sensors? One of each should suffice.

I am not sure why you need so many temp and flow sensors? One of each should suffice.

They are relatively cheap and fun to have :p Plus they will allow me to evaluate the efficiency of the loop and plan for upgrades. :D

They are relatively cheap and fun to have :p Plus they will allow me to evaluate the efficiency of the loop and plan for upgrades. :D

No doubt, but they can also be a drag. I like the KISS method to watercooling. I had gotten a bunch of flow meters and temp meters and cool things once for one of my WC setups and then after the second time I broke it down i ditched them all heh.

;)

SAM_0568-1024x718.jpg

I like the sleeving extensions, I have been thinking of getting some of those for my case. Just trying to put the kibosh on some of my spending for a little bit though heh.

Yes, I am the master of going overboard with some of this stuff. Though still much cheaper than racing motorcycle. (So I am actually saving money.) :)

Yes, I am the master of going overboard with some of this stuff. Though still much cheaper than racing motorcycle. (So I am actually saving money.) :)

Lol, that is my problem, I have soo many different hobbies that I need to cut back a little and save more. Between my custom home theatre, my Eyefinity system, my car, cooking, etc, etc. Just too much money. It is good to drop back to one hobby at a time, which is what I have been doing now. I spent a good deal of money on my last 2 systems, so now I am trying to sit back and enjoy them a bit and focus elsewhere for awhile :)

Back