water cooling.. algae and when to flush?

DJ_007

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
265
So i recently as in a week ago did my first water cooling setup, its a single loop on the CPU, I used distilled water and probably %5 antifreeze, i also put about 5 drops of tetra fist tank treatment in the res as it seemed like a good idea.. Is this a good mixture? how long typically before algae and stuff starts to grow if its going to.?? and how often do most people flush the system?
 
Drain your loop and rinse everything (preferably with distilled water). Refill the loop and get one of the following:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ine_Silver_Tubing_Reservoir_Strip.html?tl=g30
OR
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_381_384&products_id=30213

Follow the directions and your water will stay clean with no ill-effects almost indefinitely. I have no idea what's in fish treatment but I most certainly wouldn't risk tarnishing my blocks for zero benefit. You probably could use ethylene glycol to prevent bacteria growth but I don't know the long term effects it'd have on the pump/blocks/etc.
 
Don't know about your mixture, but I used distilled water with a few drops of PT nuke and in 2.5 years I have only flushed it twice, most recently last month and every thing is clean as a whistle.
 
its interesting how people have completely different methods, I suppose my philosophy on my mixture was i have no idea how anything could live in antifreeze and algae killer... especially antifreeze has propylene glycol in it.
 
I used premix for years until I finally kept a system long enough to see what builds up lol. Since switched to distilled + nuke or coil. Never looked back.
 
Back
Top