water cooling a 6990

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by Cataulin, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Cataulin

Cataulin [H]ard|Gawd

Hey guys with black Friday/cyber Monday coming up I see a chance of some great budget water cooling. I just want to WC my 6990 and there's plenty of blocks to choose from apparently. but My main question is with two gpus would I need a 240mm rad? or is bigger better? Also I was looking into alphacool's 6990 water blocks but I dont see any reviews. It seems to be on sale constantly and they have a matching back plate that's not crazy expensive. But if you guys know of a better brand that you'd recommend I'd definitely go with it. I am running a Arctic Cooling TT on it already but, the OC i'm currently getting just doesn't feel right.

Also I'm currently running a silverstone ST1000-P PSU. I was wondering if by adding a cooling loop if this would still be sufficient to run all of it or will I be needing to upgrade to a 1200 watt psu?

2. jedimasterben

jedimasterben 2[H]4U

More rad = more better. If you have the ability to use larger radiators, then do it. IMHO, I would do a triple 120mm at the very least, with a quad being preferable.

FWIW, the 6990 my friend has (which is under water) doesn't OC very well.

3. Cataulin

Cataulin [H]ard|Gawd

what is he getting? I was able to hit 940 1330/50 with it being stable. but I've seen way higher scores.

4. jedimasterben

jedimasterben 2[H]4U

I don't remember exactly, but it was very close to that.