Water Cooling 101: Memory Cooling

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at ThinkComputers has posted another installment in their Water Cooling 101 series. Today's article takes you through the process of water cooling your memory and basic loop maintenance once the system is complete.

You’ve done it all so far, designed and built your first loop, upgraded and expanded that loop to include your GPU but still you’ve got a desire to watercool more. Well rather than building a whole new rig, there are options out there to take your watercooling to a whole new level. This is where things get sort of technically difficult and you are going to be voiding some warranties as well.

What type of memory would need this? Or is it just for looks?

Is this even a problem anymore with how low the voltage has gotten on today's memory? I remember back in the DDR1 days you could eek out a little more performance & it made a difference. I just don't see the benefit today.

I still have some Mushkin DDR3 1.35v 7-8-7-24 that's chugging away. It's 6 years old! Why would I watercool my memory nowadays?

Last edited:
Modern PC RAM needs water cooling as much as this car needs that spoiler:

R25l8rp.jpg

i find the memory cooling idea to be totall overkill and really have no benefit.

As the authors noted in the actual article, watercooling RAM is for aesthetics. Claims of increased lifespan due to more efficient cooling are dubious at best, and you're introducing smaller, more restrictive tubing, more bends, more fittings, more blocks. All of this adds (unneeded) restriction which will reduce flow rates to the parts that actually benefit from watercooling, and add more potential leak points, as the reviewers also noted, since they built their loop with mis-matched tubing/fittings.

[here comes the rant]

Further, the reviewers make no mention of the material composition of the blocks that they are marketing I mean not testing. Generally speaking, these coolers should be composed of a copper/brass tube (the water channel) with aluminum contact plates/body - meaning that your water never actually comes into contact with the aluminum. But neither web store page descriptions nor Phobya's own flash-drowned garbage website confirm this. Phobya's site doesn't mention materials at all, and the best I can find on store pages is that the barbs are nickel plated brass - no mention of the water channel or block itself except for 'anodized aluminum'.

If the company selling you water cooling parts can't be bothered to tell you what metals are in their products, then they don't give a shit. Don't buy from companies that don't give a shit.

I do not over clock hard these days just enough to get a bit o boost so I no longer water cool. With todays awesome air coolers water cooling is not for me but when I did it was always fun and looked cool. Water cooling is s sure fire way to impress the ladies.

As the authors noted in the actual article, watercooling RAM is for aesthetics. Claims of increased lifespan due to more efficient cooling are dubious at best, and you're introducing smaller, more restrictive tubing, more bends, more fittings, more blocks. All of this adds (unneeded) restriction which will reduce flow rates to the parts that actually benefit from watercooling, and add more potential leak points, as the reviewers also noted, since they built their loop with mis-matched tubing/fittings.

[here comes the rant]

Further, the reviewers make no mention of the material composition of the blocks that they are marketing I mean not testing. Generally speaking, these coolers should be composed of a copper/brass tube (the water channel) with aluminum contact plates/body - meaning that your water never actually comes into contact with the aluminum. But neither web store page descriptions nor Phobya's own flash-drowned garbage website confirm this. Phobya's site doesn't mention materials at all, and the best I can find on store pages is that the barbs are nickel plated brass - no mention of the water channel or block itself except for 'anodized aluminum'.

If the company selling you water cooling parts can't be bothered to tell you what metals are in their products, then they don't give a shit. Don't buy from companies that don't give a shit.

Yes, but not sure how mixed tubing sizes helps aesthetics; sounds like it should have been a dual loop system or at least same loop with same size tubing. It's perhaps a nice guide for w/c in general but given the system it made me thing they should have rather spend money on a better video card than w/c loop. Just a lot of somewhat silly choices on hardware selection.

It's all for show..... For show builds, it's great. It'll really add to the looks of the build. For Joe Blow putting it on his rig to play CS:GO? It's ridiculous....

Back