Water-cooler looking desktop drink dispensers $5 at walmart

MisterDNA

[H]ard|Gawd
Not all that great just from the werds, but they have a shitload of empty space inside, an easily modified connection from the bottom of the receiver to the dispenser nozzle. And good insulation between the bottom of the receiver and the outlet to the nozzle. Holds a half-gallon.

My point?

Put a steel containment vessel in there with a peltier on it and insulation around the vessel and you have a full-on water chiller.

Get two, flip the polarity, have a water heater for your ramen.

EDIT: Pic added

Guinness Draught can added for size comparison purposes
watercooler.jpg

If you could mod the cooler to stay clean while chilling the beer and cooling your computer... THEN you would be the man! :D

Sickness said:
so it keeps the drink cold?

more explaination about wtf it does
Calling them a water "cooler" is a misnomer. They DO NOT cool water. They are just a water dispenser.

My wife has one, and the rubber plunger bit at the front that lets the water out got caught and dumped 1/2 gallon (2 litres) of water on her desk and across her papers. Not good.

Modding potential, but only for looks, not function.

Token User said:
Calling them a water "cooler" is a misnomer. They DO NOT cool water. They are just a water dispenser.

My wife has one, and the rubber plunger bit at the front that lets the water out got caught and dumped 1/2 gallon (2 litres) of water on her desk and across her papers. Not good.

Modding potential, but only for looks, not function.
Ditching the rest, and using the bottle part for a mod would be kewl.

Maybe using a pelt to cool the water would be sweet too?

uh, can you say water cooled? That thing would make a hell of a res for your system, if you could get your system to hide in the bottom of it.

NewBlackDak said:
Ditching the rest, and using the bottle part for a mod would be kewl.

Maybe using a pelt to cool the water would be sweet too?
Not computer related per se, BUT, I enjoy cold water (my water cooled rig just uses convection for cooling - no pelts). I never thought of using a pelt as a water chiller just to get some ice cold water ...

Fridge for cooling my water, pot and stove for heating. easy enough :D
Neat idea though hehehe.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
WHat's withe the beer..? almost looks like you put it there on purpose..

He did put it there on purpose, look at the text above the picture -.-

somebody bought me one of these dispensers last week. It looks like it would be tough to mod in a pelt since its 100% plastic. Theres an accessible cavity in the base that would allow a ton of fireworks to be stuffed inside. Can you imagine the filled bottle launching like a rocket ? :D

I got a stainless steel bowl, silicone caulked a stainless steel lid on top with a barbed inlet for the water (was a piece of a potable water tank), drilled a hole in side at the bottom of the bowl, put another barb thing in there with more silicone, mounted an aluminum pelt block from an old cooler to the bowl with thermal epoxy, stuck the pelt and heat sink on the block, added a thermistor affixed with thermal epoxy, covered it all with some haggard foam for insulation and mounted all the shit with a fan in the unit and hooked up a thermostat with a relay to turn on the fan and pelt. works fine but takes a while to chill down if I run a lot of water through there. Like half the tank worth in the space of fifteen minutes. It's only like a 60W pelt. That aluminum block holds a lot of reserve cooling energy. Goes down to 40F easy.

Fortunately I can swap another pelt in there if I really feel like it's necessary. Probably won't be though.

Added bonus is it holds another pint of water.

Back