water cooler, CPU

shadowj

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,
I'm using the i9-12900k OC @5,1 GHz, with the Noctua NH-D15 ( 2 Fans)
I never used before some water coolers, so I have no idea if it would be a good idea to upgrade.
Does it improve / decrease, the temps / noise?
I'm using the PC, mostly for gaming ( flight / racing simulators ) and rarely, Photoshop, video editing
RTX 4090, 32 GB DDR4, resolution is 8k, mainboard Asus ROG Strix A-Gaming wifi d4
The PC case is Corsair Graphite 780T

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-...-series-780t-full-tower-pc-case-cc-9011063-ww

Could you guys, please, give me some advices?
Should I get some AIO cooler for the CPU?
I'd like OC a bit more than 5,1 GHz
Could I use such a AIO, for both, CPU and GPU??
And another question : worth upgrading the DDR4 ( 3600 MHz) to DDR5 - 5600 MHz ?
Thank you very much, in advance, every advices are welcome

Last edited:
your case can only take a 280 aio, so you will only see at most a couple C cooler.
up to you.
thats not guaranteed.
no, you'd need a full custom setup in order to cool the 4090.
youd have to replace your mobo to do that. so again, up to you.

I'll skip the water cooling, thank you
Not sure if it's worth to upgrade the mainboard, for DDR5

Should I get some AIO cooler for the CPU?
An AIO is fine.
I'd like OC a bit more than 5,1 GHz
Overclocking a 12900K is almost pointless. If you undervolt them you can sometimes get something out of it, but an all core 5.2GHz+ OC is not likely.
Could I use such a AIO, for both, CPU and GPU??
No. You would need to get an AIO for the GPU and another for the CPU. A single AIO would not be able to dissipate the incredible amount of heat produced by the CPU and GPU. You'd need to be able to dissipate more than 500w worth of heat and that's not going to happen with any single AIO. It would take a really large and high end AIO to really cool the CPU let alone both. Plus, you can't just mount any old AIO on a GPU. You'd need a bracket or you'd have to make one to mate the block to the GPU's surface and hold it in place. Then you'd have to come up with a way to cool the memory.

A factory AIO cooled GPU is one thing but if you really want to do better than air cooling with a GPU, you have to step up to custom water cooling with a full cover water block. To handle the heat loads you are talking about and to acquire everything you need, you are talking about hundreds of dollars. I have a 12900K and a RTX 3090 and probably have close to a grand in cooling hardware alone to handle that.
And another question : worth upgrading the DDR4 ( 3600 MHz) to DDR5 - 5600 MHz ?
Thank you very much, in advance, every advices are welcome
Going to DDR5 below 6000MHz makes no sense. There really isn't any uplift over DDR4 at lower speeds. Even if you were talking about DDR5 7000MHz+ or something, I don't think its worth the cost of the motherboard and RAM given motherboard costs right now.

Back