Water Cooled Z68 Sandy Bridge 700D

toddfx

Weaksauce
The decision to build a Sandy Bridge system was mostly driven by curiosity and excitement about the 2011 CPU revolution. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to buy (relatively) cutting edge components, and could not resists the bang for the buck delivered by Intel’s newest release. Although I seriously considered waiting for Ivy Bridge, the itch to build something now just wouldn’t go away!

I usually go for the low-end items, but this time I am pulling out as many stops as I can. 3D animation and other digital art is primarily what I use my machine for, but also do a bit of gaming. Above all else though, I simply love tinkering with new stuff.

Corsair 700D
Core i7 2600K
Asus P8Z68
16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600
128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300
PNY GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Corsair 750HX PSU
XSPC Rasa RS360 Water cooling kit

Now before you start in on me, I know the 550 Ti is not the most exquisite GPU choice. My old Asus GT240 died unexpectedly earlier this month and in a rage of frustration, I ran out to Best Buy and bought the “best” card they had. My requirements were dual dual-link DVI, HDMI, and SLI capability. The 550 Ti was the only one they had that was suitable. Although I overpaid and was pigeonholed into buying it, I have been satisfied with it thus far!

Anyway, on to some pics. I’m using my Sony HDR-SR11 and some make-shift lighting to take these. Not brilliant, but hopefully you get the idea. White balance = random.

motherboard.JPG

processor02.JPG

power.JPG

My first modular power supply. So nice, so clean...I'll never go back!

I went with the Asus P8Z68 because of the SSD caching, on-board Bluetooth, and UEFI BIOS. Although it is not a definitive point of this board, I am also excited about the 6 GB/S SATA ports as I recently came to realize that my SSD had been operating at half-speed on the 3 GB/S ports of my old EVGA 780i.

I’m reusing the 700D and RS360 cooling kit from my previous build.

cooling-cpu02.JPG

cooling-cpu.JPG

memory.JPG

case-assembled.JPG

I talked about the reasoning behind my 550 Ti above. Even though it tends to be hated on around here, I plan to purchase a second one when I can find it at a decent price. I do not plan to OC the GPUs, nor do I do a ton lot of extremely graphics intense gaming. My primary reason for getting a second graphics card is so I can run three (or four) large monitors. Why? Because I have them laying around anyway! I realize I wouldn’t need $150 graphics cards to do that, but might as well have a little power when I need it. I also require all monitor connections to be dual-link DVI.

I am however, willing to listen to compelling arguments for ditching the 550 Ti now before I buy another one. If there is another card that would be better to double up on and has good reason to go through the hassle to buying two of them (instead of just grabbing 1 more of these 550s since I’m already half way there), then I am all ears. I do a lot of 3D graphics work, but have not been able to find a workstation GPU that fulfills my requirements and also comes at a reasonable price. Not to mention we have had better luck at work with the newer GeForce cards than we have with the Quadros.

cooling-pipes.JPG

The water cooling system is pretty straight forward. I have Feser One fluid that runs clear but glows blue under UV. I don’t have any extreme lighting in mind, and might not even end up using UV lights. I’m playing around with some UV LEDs right now but am not loving the results. I like the blue glow, but I HATE the purple cast of UV lights. I’ll post some pictures of that soon.

cooling-pipes02.JPG

cooling-pipes04.JPG

cooling-pipes03.JPG

I might get a Corsair RAM cooler, or at least some new heat-sinks. I thought the Vengence chips looked cool in the thumbnails, but they look very cheap to me now that I have them in hand.

Anyway, I am going to keep this thread updated as I add and upgrade. I’m hoping to get the GPU situation sorted out soon, as I also just got a new computer desk that will easily accommodate my three monitors.

I also grabbed a window'd side panel from Corsair.

Other updates to come:
-Subtle, elegant lighting
-SLI graphics
-More visually appealing hose clamps
-Cable management on the rear panel (currently to messy to even show)
-Integration of my hacked Doomsday Device as the power switched

No plans to water cool the GPUs currently.

Last edited:
nice build duder, gotta sleeve up those fan cables though, the red and yellow stick out like a boner in sweat pants to me. but yeah, excellent work

nice build duder, gotta sleeve up those fan cables though, the red and yellow stick out like a boner in sweat pants to me. but yeah, excellent work

Good call. I was actually recently looking to buy some shrink wrap for another modding project, but admit I have never used it before. I'm looking at frozenCPU and see it comes in varying thicknesses. I was planning on getting some 1/8'' since most of the wires I'd be wrapping are pretty tiny.

At what point though, would you want to go with something wider?

Nice looking build. I'd ditch that video card and get this one if you are serious about multimonitors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-Galaxy-_-14162082

This card can handle up to 5 monitors at once. :) $259 after MIR.

Holy cow. I did not know a card like that existed. Thanks for the heads up, very good to know.

I have actually already purchased a second 550 Ti (against the recommendation of [H]) and am now running three monitors. I don't know how I lived without them, and will be adding a 4th once I get around to upgrading one of smaller ones.

Right now I have a Dell 27'' in the center flanked by a mismatched 22's.

Hooray for tax return day!

Ever since I created my G5 mod with a water cooling system that trumps my workstation's, it has been in the back of my mind to give this some love. So this weekend I ordered a batch of parts from performance-pcs.com. Here's what I picked up:

-Swiftech MCP655 pump (and G1/4 replacement housing)
I installed this pump in my G5 build and am impressed with it's power. The price is also very reasonable, and I see it used around here a lot.
700d-new-pump.jpg

-Bitspower Water Tank Z Ultra
I went back and forth a lot over if I wanted to use a bay mounted reservoir or something else. Mounting it in the bay seems most convenient, but to be honest I find it a little boring! I like vertical tubular reservoirs, but I will be using black tubing & clear coolant on this build so I don't want to go with a transparent res. I decided to go with this black metallic, very industrial looking Bitspower water tank. It'll be mounted vertically to the right of the GFX cards against the flat surface that houses the HDs.
700d-new-res.jpg

-Black PrimoFlex tubing, still 7/16in. ID X 5/8in. OD
700d-new-tubing.jpg

-Primochill Metal Clamps - I'm ditching the plastic clamps that came with my XSPC kit the first time around and instead going with some slightly flashier brushed metal ones.
700d-new-clamps.jpg

-BitFenix Blue sleeved cables. In addition to the WC loop additions, I'm upgrading all my cables with color coordinated blue sleeved ones. All the cable will be blue and black!
700d-new-cables.png

-Other assorted WC and cabling stuff.

Anyway, sorry for the teaser here, i'll be putting this together later in the week when the parts arrive! Looking forward to it!

P.S. Since my original post here, I have added a second 550Ti and a couple of terabyte drives in RAID1.

Finally got my parts in the mail (two big thumbs up to Performance-pcs.com...such a great mod hardware resource! One thumb down to USPS though for being lazy and a day late on my delivery...luckily it still came in time for the weekend though)

New reservoir?
IMG_0857.JPG

Just kidding, here's the real deal:
IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

There's a drain line coming out of the right side of the reservoir.

Still a few cables to clean up and/or sleeve, and I have removed the fan grills since taking these photos. I also flipped the fans to pull cool clean air in through the rad; originally they were pushing air outward in exhaust configuration.

My reason for upgrading my pump was to give myself more OCing opportunity. I was running 4.1ghz, but tinkered around in UEFI last night and stabilized it at 4.5ghz at 1.36v.

Here are my readings after about an hour and a half of Prime95:

temps_P95_4500.PNG

It is a tad warmer than I would like. I was hoping to keep things about 5 - 8 degrees cooler than this with my CPU only 3x120 loop.

Please correct me if I am wrong (I am still new at WCing), but I feel confident I could drop the temps by that amount if I upgrade my rad fans. Right now I’m using the three cheap-o ones that came with my XSPC kit last year. They’re Xinruilian RDL1225S which supposedly run 1,700 RPM at ~70 CFM at 28db, and are probably sleeve bearing.

I’m looking at some higher RPM ball bearing fans. I like the price and reviews of Scythe 120s, but they’re sleeve and have read that is not good for horizontal mounting. I found a couple of ball bearing Delta’s that I am trying to decide between. This Delta AFB is 2,900 RPM and pushes 120 CFM at 44db. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213005

A step up is this Delta FFB that runs at 4,000 RPM and pushes 190 CFM at 56db. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835213010

I am not as concerned with noise as I will also be buying a fan controller. I'm looking at this new 6 channel Scythe. I want 6 channels to leave room for expansion if/when I upgrade my loop in the future to include 6x120 rad space. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998077

The minutia of fans is something I have never really spent much time considering. This is the first time I am buying fans specifically for a rad. Am I right to assume that more CFM through the rad = better cooling? Can I really expect a significant drop in my aforementioned temps by getting some beefier fans, or have I already pretty much hit a wall using my current 1,600 RPMs? The XSPC RX360 has a density of 8 FPI.

Aside from that, what other factors should I look into for further cooling? I suppose my cheaper XSPC CPU block is the only other piece of the puzzle. Would I notice a difference if I invest in a superior block?

Also, I notice the temps of the 4 cores are quite varying. I should probably check my thermal compound and re-seat the CPU block, yeah?

Thanks guys!

looking very good

too bad you didn't get Corsair sleeved cables that are out... but how do you like the bitfenix cables?

Great job.. I like the pump res mounting. I would check that thermal compound and CPU WB seat. Those temps look a tad high for a single cpu on a 3x120 rad setup. My H70 keeps my 2500k [email protected] at about 40c over ambient with a pair of low speed CM fans in push/pull.

Thanks for the comments guys. Temps stay low when I'm not stress testing it so I haven't pulled the CPU block off yet. I am definitely going to give that a shot though before I run P95 again, which will be soon because I just upgraded some things:

I grabbed four 8GB sticks G.SKILL DDR3-1600 to max out my board at 32 gigs! This is the most RAM I have had my hands on at once and hope that it will be worth it! At only about $250 though, it is amazing how much prices have dropped. 3D work is my forte so it will definitely be used somewhere along the line. I also enjoy having every app I own running at once :D

In addition to the RAM, I went ahead and got three 2,900 RPM Delta 120mms for the radiator and a Scythe fan controller to keep them all in check. Also a few blue case fans by Prolimatech, but only one is installed so far.

I've also been practicing my lighting setup rather than relying on my living room lamps, so hopefully these photos will be a bit more pleasing to the eye than most of my previous ones:

DSC02354_CC.jpg

DSC02375_CC.jpg

DSC02389_CC.jpg

DSC02394_CC.jpg

DSC02349_CC.jpg

DSC02357_CC.jpg

DSC02361_CC.jpg

DSC02397_CC.jpg

0.0 degree Celsius!?!? Guess you could say I fixed my cooling issue! Actually I just haven't hooked up the temp sensors yet :eek:

What do you guys think about the red Ripjaw RAM sinks? I bought some black RAM heat spreaders which I had planned to slap on instead of the stock red ones, but the red ended up growing on me...

very nice update, I can't wait for the next update

also the ram looks nice black or red.

looking very good

too bad you didn't get Corsair sleeved cables that are out... but how do you like the bitfenix cables?

Haha dang. I didn't realize Corsair came out with those. I probably would have picked them up had I known. This is my first time purchasing pre-sleeved cables, and the BitFenix ones are pretty much what I expected. However I do have a couple of minor complaints if I am being picky:

01) No visible black shrink wrap; Some may prefer it like this, but I actually like the look of having some shrink wrap visible at the connectors.

02) Not long enough. These Alchemy cables are really only good if you plan on completely concealing your cable management since you are basically just using them as extensions.

It looks like the Corsair ones would solve both of these problems. They have the nice black shrink wraps, and would completely replace my cables rather than just acting as extensions. I can't find the Corsair lengths listed, but I imagine they will be full length considering they are complete PSU cable replacements.

Still though, BitFenix are great if you don't plan on showing your cable management compartment or can get creative with concealing the extension point. Am I making sense here? I'll take a picture of what I am talking about.

No, you make sense, Although more pics wont hurt, I did my brother in laws phantom with alchemy white ones and it looks very nice, I enjoy the nylon? sleeving.

Am I making sense here? I'll take a picture of what I am talking about.

you made perfect sense

and it is okay I didn't know about the cables until recently as well. but agree with mannyman with more pictures too

great work

Back