Water Block is 1/4" rest of system is 3/8" that an Issue?

josephunh

Gawd
Ok was wondering if someone might help me here I am getting ready to build my first water cooled system and doing my third case mod. I have Enhiem pump and Innovatek Radiator and reservoir all with 3/8" fittings. The CPU Water Block I wanted to get is also a Innovatek but only has 1/4" fitings. Would it be an issue if I ran the rest of the loop in 3/8" tube and just ran 1/4" from the pump to the black and then to the radiator?

What block are you looking at getting? If the block was made in the last couple of years, you should be able to buy 3/8" fittings that match up with the threads on the block itself.

hahahaha....im sorry but that is the funniest looking block I have ever seen.

I'd also like to say that unless you absolutely must have that block for its looks....do not buy it. It is incredibly overpriced! You would be much better served by getting a Swiftech mcw 6000, or Storm block for that price. Hell even one of the AC blocks would be a better buy.

I t is being bought for looks as it is part of a case mod. So rather then commenting on looks, can I change the fittings or would it be ok to use 1/4" tubing in places mentioned above and 3/8 or rest or should I just change the entire system to 1/4" fittings instead.

Honestly, I would try to get some 3/8" fittings in there. At least give it a chance at performing well. I take it this is going in some sort of nascar/gearhead type of mod?

Now if someone would make a bloody brain/internal organ shaped waterblock. Then I could fill my loop with red dye.....Friday the 13th style case mod.

You could just get a 3/8"->1/4" barb or reducer, and show pics of the mod once it's done, if it looks cool.

First of all all concerned might want to read the link provided. :rolleyes: It is not set up for a 1/4" ID tube. It is set up for a standard Innovatek 8mm ID (5/16") x 1mm wall thickness. So what you would use is a 8mm x10mm hose. Dropping down from 3/8" ID to 5/16" ID for a one time block is probably negligible since it would go back out to 3/8" ID on the other side. Now almost all Innovatek waterblocks have G 1/4 (1/4 BSPP) threads on them. So what you need to do is to get a 3/8" barb x G 1/4 fitting and you are good to go. If the issue is the looks of the stock fittings then you should easily be able to squeeze a 8mm ID onto a 3/8" ID fitting before and after the block.

Nice choice in blocks! I saw those a while back and figured it would go good in a car themed case mod. :D

If you want to keep the V6 engine look, you could use a 5/16" x 3/8" barb possibly hidden somewhere if it doesn't look so good. That block uses Innovatech's old X-Flow design, so extra flow won't really matter too much, as long as you're able to get at least 0.5gpm, or preferably 1gpm of flow. You could get a 5/16"id fitting for your pump or radiator (whatever is right before the block's inlet, and possibly also the component right after the block) and use a piece (or two if you keep the 8mm fitting on the outlet) of 8mm/10mm tubing for the block, with 3/8" for the rest of your loop.

SpoogeMonkey said:
It's a V-6. Looks like it came out of a Ford Capri :D
This is totally off topic, but I thought the Capri had a straight 6 in it, not a V-6.

That's a funny block.

The block isn't the problem, the 3/8" everywhere else is the problem :p

Back