Watching tv from internet

Ron1jed

Supreme [H]ardness
Soooo ya i don't have cable tv but i have cable internet and i miss family guy. how can i watch tv on my computer threw my cable connection. thx

Short answer - if you are receiving cable channels without paying for cable then you are stealing service. Cable tv and cable internet are totally different services. You can't automagically receive cable tv over your cable modem.

You can probably find the shows on a bittorrent tracker, or other p2p network of your choice, but it's technically illegal.

Another option might be www.itvn.com/ but I don't know if they carry fox.

Ron1jed said:
ya the shoutcast steams are always full!!!

Yep, all the good ones are always full. If you have winamp set to repeat, it will keep pinging it and you might get a connection, but you still easily get booted by someone else trying to make a connect.

ya so its pointles. I miss the old mytube site. i used to watch ufc all day on that thing. not anymore...dam it

jpmkm said:
Short answer - if you are receiving cable channels without paying for cable then you are stealing service. Cable tv and cable internet are totally different services. You can't automagically receive cable tv over your cable modem.

This is not necessarily true, at least over here... Cox advertises their Cable Internet service by promoting and allowing you to split the connection to a TV. Cable TV and Internet here are two different services indeed, however according to Cox, it is acceptable to split the connection from the cable modem and watch basic cable TV. The difference being that the paid service is expanded.

@OP: You can use a device like the Slingbox to do what you are looking for.

Vile said:
This is not necessarily true, at least over here... Cox advertises their Cable Internet service by promoting and allowing you to split the connection to a TV. Cable TV and Internet here are two different services indeed, however according to Cox, it is acceptable to split the connection from the cable modem and watch basic cable TV. The difference being that the paid service is expanded.
yes, +1. I have Wide Open West, and when you get cable internet, the basic cable tv stations automatically work free with a splitter, and its legal. I have my cable modem and htpc hooked up on the same line. The HDTV and digital channels are seperate though on encryped data channeling where you need the cable box.

Ron1jed said:
think it would work on time warer cable?

It should...Just get a cable splitter (only a few bucks from Radio Shack, BB, etc) and an extra coax cable and split the connection. You'll find out immediately if it will work or not so it's worth a shot.

Vile said:
Cox advertises their Cable Internet service by promoting and allowing you to split the connection to a TV

Cool. Anything on their site that says that?

w1retap said:
yes, +1. I have Wide Open West, and when you get cable internet, the basic cable tv stations automatically work free with a splitter, and its legal. I have my cable modem and htpc hooked up on the same line. The HDTV and digital channels are seperate though on encryped data channeling where you need the cable box.
This works unless your cable company comes out and installs a filter inside the external cable box/interface. If they do you lose the channels. It's legal because it's not your fault they forgot to put it on. Most of the time if you start cable service and cancel it but keep the internet you will keep your channels. At some point someone will come out and install a filter but only if they audit the box. Otherwise they aren't going to go out of their way.

ne1wantaride said:
This works unless your cable company comes out and installs a filter inside the external cable box/interface. If they do you lose the channels. It's legal because it's not your fault they forgot to put it on. Most of the time if you start cable service and cancel it but keep the internet you will keep your channels. At some point someone will come out and install a filter but only if they audit the box. Otherwise they aren't going to go out of their way.
no, it comes free when you get internet.. basic cable costs nothing with internet subscription. It doesn't matter anyhow because i also have HD cable and digital cable in other rooms. I'm paying plenty in montly fees. :eek:

ne1wantaride said:

You are incorrect, at least in the case of Cox. As w1retap and I have mentioned, this is legal. Cox reps on the phone, and the technicans that have come out both push on this for my Internet service. (I moved once and had to have them come over to set it up at the new place, and they sold the fact that you can split it for basic cable as a "feature" both times)

I'll see if I can find any literature online, but it's definitely not illegal in our case.

We have Cox and they price thier internet at $49.99 IF you don't have cable TV service.
It's $39.99 if you have cable TV service (basic cable is $9 in our area). It ends up $1 cheaper if you get basic cable and cable internet.

Dont they give the family guy show on regular TV?
Or is it 1 season behind on regular tv (some sci-fi shows are)?
Or are they moving the show to cable?

Bittorrent is the way to go if the show is unavailable to you. I used it to catch Ugly Betty. Its on at the same time as Smallville and my VCR is on the fritz so I watched smallville and got Ugly Betty on BT. I dont consider it "illegal" if the show is normally available to you since you can simply RECORD it... duh...

May not work on time warner. From my experiences they put a trap on the line which is basically a frequency filter that filters out all the frequencies except for the ones that a cable modem uses, which are in the channel 70 range i think?

Just try plugging the coax into your tv and see if you get a signal. Otherwise...you do know that FOX is usually a broadcast station right? Remember those bunny ear things...yea they pick up broadcast stations.

Back