WatchGuard Firebox - No Feature Key

Barometer

Limp Gawd
I have two Fireboxes - Both x700. Both WMS Fireware 10.2

One is up and running but having problems.

So, I bought a replacement, Same version, same software version.

But I do not have a Feature Key and WatchGuard will no longer give me one.

Is there any way to get this replacement Firebox working?

Thx

i assume neither were under warranty?

contact the person you bought the box from for the key?

i assume neither were under warranty?

contact the person you bought the box from for the key?

They don't have it.

I tried.

They knew the unit was under Watchguard's UpSell program where by when they upgraded, they were not allowed to sell it.

I guess companies are getting so bad now that they want their old equipment destroyed so they can sell a brand new one. Problem is, I'm not at a point where I can shell out a few grand. Wish I was.

Too bad they won't let you BUY a feature key for a unit like this.

My only option seems to be to send it back. $17.00 shipping :-(

I wonder if it's worth trying to use parts from it to fix the one that's failing ?

Looks like you can still buy a key from these people: http://www.macmall.com/p/WatchGuard-Security-Appliances/product~dpno~384964~pdp.cdejcfe

I couldn't find one available on watchguard.com. If you would like to, I can reach out to our rep. We sell about 500 of cheaper models (XTM 20 series) a year, so hopefully rep can point me in a right direction.

We typically let our Watchguards expire. Feature key needed only to get live security (their firmware update service) and gateway AV stuff.

Run pfSense on it?

Never heard of pfSense

Is that an Operating system I can install IN the Firebox itself and use it like the OS that comes on it from Watchguard?

Surely pfSense could not be anywhere near as good at security as Watchguards installed OS ???

Sorry i'm in the dark concerning pfSense. (But I did go to their website and read a bit) Still tons of questions

pfSense would overwrite WatchGuard's OS.

and you'd be surprised at how secure it is. there is a reason why it's so popular.

i'd imagine the hardest part would be getting pfSense on to the WatchGuard device, but after that it is pretty simple to set up.

I haven't used Watchguard OS so I can't comment specifically to it. pfSense is quite secure, freeBSD based and very well supported. It is to ddWRT as a 777 is to a balsa glider. While it often falls in the 'home-brew' camp, it has many Enterprise features.

Start here on your journey- you can thank us later

I think many would argue pfSense is better than Watchguard OS.

People who buy Watchguard OS just want the support, but BSD Perimeter offers the same for pfSense.

Back