Watch Dogs Image Quality Preview [H]

I haven't looked at memory usage but my Windforce R290 (not an x) and 8GB RAM and i7 had zero issues with stuttering and this is with everything at ultra settings using temporal smaa. I will provide more information tonight when I've been given a chance to play more than 10 minutes.

It's kinda sad that no matter how much computing power humanity gets, we can still manage to waste it in the least efficient way possible. That screenshot of the game on all settings on lowest looks like complete shit and it still takes up ~1.3 GB of of vram

It's kinda sad that no matter how much computing power humanity gets, we can still manage to waste it in the least efficient way possible. That screenshot of the game on all settings on lowest looks like complete shit and it still takes up ~1.3 GB of of vram

You know what's even sadder? The graphics card in "Recommended requirements" is 560Ti with 1GB of RAM! I don't even.... (EDIT: Haha, they stealth-changed it very recently. Now it says
"VIDEO CARD: 2048 VRAM DirectX 11")

Also I remembered this and it made me laugh and cry at the same time: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Watch-Dogs-Can-Run-Ultra-Settings-Mid-Ranged-GPU-64192.html

And I repeat again - Ubi recognizes stuttering on high end GPUs as an issue:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/882353

Last edited:
Thats depbatable.

as Brent said, They acknowledged that its being reported, thats not the same as acknowledging its a problem

And what is the difference? They have a topic called "Known issues" and it contains this:
"Thanks for reporting issues as you find them", "This thread will be updated from time to time when we have news to share about the main issues", "solving your problems and updating you are our main concerns"

And the issue itself:
"PC - Frame rate stutter on high end GPU
Game stutters on ultra textures and other lower settings on certain hardware.
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...690-unplayable
[Status] Issue reported - updates to follow"

Like I said, I am not a native speaker of English so maybe there is some other meaning of the word "issue" that I am not grasping - but from reading this thread I infer that they acknowledge that stuttering on high end GPUs is an issue. I may be wrong, of course.

This is a topic edited by Ubi employees - If they did not think it was an actual problem/issue they would not put it in the post.

Here's the word from the game's technical director:

Watch Dogs can use 3+ GB of RAM on NG consoles for graphics, your PC GPU needs enough VRAM for ultra options due to the lack of unified mem

Link

That is an excuse for spending zero effort on optimizing the game for non-unified PC architecture. They knew PC is non unified so they could either optimize for it, or tell gamers to go and buy cards with more memory. We know which path they chose.

Also, if this guy admits the game needs 3+ GB memory, then why is 1GB 560Ti listed as a RECOMMENDED graphics card?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...tweaking-guide#watch-dogs-system-requirements

Funny thing is that in the last few days ubisoft stealthily changed its recommended card to "2GB DirectX11" but previously it was 560Ti which has 1GB of RAM and it was preserved on nvidia's page (probably not for long).

From my perspective Nvidia must be really pissed. They look really bad atm... that their 780's can't play at ultra is pretty embarrassing considering their involvement in the game IMHO. Especially considering they're bundling with their higher end cards :confused:

I would bet they're working with Ubisoft to find a way to fix it. Time will tell I guess...

From my perspective Nvidia must be really pissed. They look really bad atm... that their 780's can't play at ultra is pretty embarrassing considering their involvement in the game IMHO. Especially considering they're bundling with their higher end cards :confused:

I would bet they're working with Ubisoft to find a way to fix it. Time will tell I guess...

Ubi basically crapped on nvidia. Watch dogs is TWIMTBP game, advertised heavily on geforce.com with a very extensive performance guide, and yet their top-tier consumer card for $700 cannot run this game on highest settings because it does not have enough video memory.

Fun facts:
In the game menu you are informed that you need 3GB VRAM for ultra textures.
On GeForce.com in "Optimal playable settings" you can read that if you have 780Ti you can set everything to ultra and get good gaming experience.

Both of these are lies. There is no way to get a good gaming experience (no stutter, hitching) with ultra textures on a video card with 3GB RAM.

It gets better - up until very recently the video card in RECOMMENDED settings was 560Ti which is a 1GB card. Now it is "2 GB DirectX 11" but 560Ti still can be found here: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...tweaking-guide#watch-dogs-system-requirements

Good luck playing Watch Dogs on 560Ti which is in recommended requirements.

I believe I can confirm that stuttering isn't directly related to the amount of VRAM, I'm running SLI K6000's (12GB) and I get slight stuttering while driving, not much but enough to make it unenjoyable to drive. Streaming textures also shouldn't be an issue as my game is installed onto 2x SAS SSD in RAID 0.

Just bought a Samsung U28D590 and running the game @3840x2160, 'auto detect' sets all settings to Ultra and also selects MHBAO - I've manually selected FXAA in the other options menu.

I've decided to stop playing the game till the rumored patch is released.

Last edited:
Ubi said the patch was for bugfixing common problems, they've not said a single thing about performance optimizations including ram/vram usage (the stutter problem).
I would be surprised if they ever fix any of the performance-related issues.

I wish they would optimize this game a little better for AMD, I have to disable crossfire to get the best performance. Sux, But it is playable on Ultra with one card. but not as good as it should be. Stay [H]

..any Nvidia owners tried turning off the shader cache in the NV CP? Just curious if it makes any difference...

Ubi said the patch was for bugfixing common problems, they've not said a single thing about performance optimizations including ram/vram usage (the stutter problem).
I would be surprised if they ever fix any of the performance-related issues.

Like the vendor lights they never fixed in Assassin's Creed 3.

Apparently Ubisoft is listening.

From Forbes.com "Watch Dogs is an important release for Ubisoft, and it’s reassuring to see their team working on improving the game for PC users. Nvidia is also continuing to consult with Ubisoft engineers on optimizing drivers for the game."

You had to know this was coming, the negative press on it has been very wide spread. Hopefully they do a decent job of it, and things actually improve for everyone. At that point I might even consider getting it :)

too bad it was a waste of money for the last two years and it'll be too slow for the real next gen games anyway :D

My 4GB 670 has been fantastic for modded Skyrim during the past couple of years and is still running everything at max settings (including Watch Dogs) at 1080p. :p

i don't understand how everyone is getting such ridiculous ram usage. the game never goes over ~2080 MB for me. i did what you said and the stuttering is slightly less but it's still there, and i'm only playing at 1080p with my vram maxed out around 2010 MB. i don't understand this game.

1080p is console resolution and at the lower end of PC res.

Most enthusiasts game on 2560x1440 or higher.

Apparently Ubisoft is listening.

From Forbes.com "Watch Dogs is an important release for Ubisoft, and it’s reassuring to see their team working on improving the game for PC users. Nvidia is also continuing to consult with Ubisoft engineers on optimizing drivers for the game."

You had to know this was coming, the negative press on it has been very wide spread. Hopefully they do a decent job of it, and things actually improve for everyone. At that point I might even consider getting it :)

Maybe it's because I have a sick rig but the game is good -- very entertaining. The AI is very aggressive and it makes the game very intense. It's a much bigger deal to upset the cops in Watch_Dogs than it was in GTA4 (PC gamer; no GTAV).

It's also a nice change of pace from chitty chitty bang bang.

Back