Watch dogs first impressions! Needs 3GB Vram minimum

burned-ati

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I just started playing watch dogs lastnight, and it is a very fun game so far. The graphics are pretty good, physics seem very fluid like. And a solid fun game so far.

One thing to warn everyone about so far, in the graphics settings it list all of the adjustments, Shaders, HDAO etc etc, shadows, post processing, and overall detail quality.

Under the Display settings, it give you the resolution option, and "Texture quality"
High textures require 2GB of Vram, and "Ultra textures require 3GB of VRAM!

It looks, like a 2gb video cards are a thing of the past now! I verified this with my GTX 660 OEM clocked in at 1300Mhz/7160mhz W/ 1152 shaders And 96 ROP's

The frame per second were smooth, and very playable, with ALL detail quality maxed out at 1680/1050. And textures, on "Ultra" Some characters, and vehicles in the game, and random objects were "black" As I approached, the textures would start to load, and appear on the characters, and objects!

The game would skip, and feel laggy at times. Because my card was more than out of memory!

So, the game comes out in 2 days! Get your video cards ready! This is a very fun game!
And, i'd say it is worth a GPU upgrade. A GTX 780 should slaughter it 3gb or 6gb!

Last edited:
I am making a video now, give me a few moments, and I will post up a quick vid of some gameplay!

Get your GTX 780's and R9 290's and up ready guys and gals!

This is 2014! And were gaming on PC. Would you not want to play on Ultra?

If you don't want to play on Ultra, Walmart sells PS4 for $399.99

Ultra settings = "minimum"

my 2 gb 770 gets stuttering on any texture setting, and stuttering is the same on high and ultra. vram usage is also the same no matter what settings are used. the game is fucked up and i really doubt they're going to leave it this way.

Well, My 660 OEM is pretty smooth on High, it will hick up from time to time. But, on medium it is buttery smooth. And everything else on ultra. Ultra textures is playable to, but skips every few seconds.

But, any kind of skip is horrible! Every other game is smooth on my system! I mean any game. I just sold off a Titan. I am waiting on my new cards to come.

I have horrible stuttering especially while driving no matter what settings I use. I have x2 680's, this is a matter of drivers/unoptimized

Well, I am using the Beta 337 NVidia drivers. Ive got all settings to ultra, and textures set to High

Also, 2Xaa, and 1680/1050. 16x AF forced in driver Control panel settings.

The game doesn't really skip on high textures.

Ultra textures is another story.

It seems to be getting about 34 to 42 frames per second with this 660 oem

And it only has a 1.5GB buffer.

I wouldn't doubt if the texture pop doesn't get fixed in a patch post release. It's recommended to have 3gb for ultra textures, 2gb for high, 1gb for medium. Yet, those with 3gb cards seem to be having serious issues with stuttering or textures popping if on ultra.

Tuesday will be an interesting day for sure. I'll be waiting for video reviews and hopefully they'll have a day-one patch. Otherwise, I'll hold off until they leave beta in a month or two.

I guess my 4GB EVGA GTX 670 will finally be useful! I might have to check this game out.

game looks kinda okay when on foot.

Driving sucks though, car physics handle like ass. And it's not smooth when you are really zooming down the streets.

Crossfire 290's, 2500k @ 4+ Ghz

if they can patch these issues and maybe work on the drivers it could be a solid game. No experience with multiplayer yet. its probably worth it if you can score a copy for 30-35 dollars

it sure as shit isn't worth the 70+ Ubi is wanting for the super magic limited edition digital copy.

GTX 780, i7 3770K @4.2, 16GB Corsair and Asus 1440p monitor

This game hates 1440p, get 30 frames, knock it down to 1920x1080 and it it doubles.

Vsync on = NOPE, makes it 10000000000x worse.

my 2 gb 770 gets stuttering on any texture setting, and stuttering is the same on high and ultra. vram usage is also the same no matter what settings are used. the game is fucked up and i really doubt they're going to leave it this way.

I presume you downloaded one of those shitty pirated copy of the game as the game does not release till tomorrow worldwide. These things tend to happen in such a copy. Wait till the legit game releases otherwise suck it up instead of just bashing the developer for doing a bad job. Nvidia tend to release drivers that caters specifically to their big game releases so I expect a driver by today or tomorrow for Watch Dogs which addresses performance issues if there are any... I guess the entire reviewing community is using the pirated version of the game and they expect it to run properly. c`mon grow up!...

How can the game demand so much when it doenst look anyway near what they showed 2 years ago on the e3 videos? i say this is just a crappy console port thats why the huge demands...

No, There has been some news circling around that the pirated version has some malware that is sucking up an insane amount of juice out of the CPU. I am sure the problem will be solved in the retail copy along with Nvidia`s handy work, its drivers obviously!.

The game runs good on my system. I cannot play on ultra textures because no video memory. But, On ultra settings with high textures it runs good. Another thing I noticed. If you turn off Anti-aliasing, it helps a good amount with limited video memory of only 2GB

And the game does not have that great of textures, or graphics in it. It compares to GTA IV, that was released in 2008 lol.

Some things look good on it, like the water! And the physics are good.

I bought two refurbished GTX 780 classified cards, to pep my system up a bit.

If something goes wrong when they get, or If I have issues. I am going to exchange them for GTX 780 6gb cards

Last edited:
Wow. Are graphics really that bad that they comparable only to GTA IV? Thats messed up Ubisoft. Just terrible.

Wow. Are graphics really that bad that they comparable only to GTA IV? Thats messed up Ubisoft. Just terrible.

They may be a little better. But, this looks like a console game! Some parts of it look really good. Like at night time, and when the vehicles headlights flash over the grass or a wall or something. The lighting looks great. And the shadows. But the textures are very weak!

I tried the new v337.88 drivers and I still have the same issues with major FPS drops, while panning the camera or while driving and turning. on all settings

Poor SLI game scaling then:(.. Users are reporting insane performance improvements with this driver all across the board...

Poor SLI game scaling then:(.. Users are reporting insane performance improvements with this driver all across the board...

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

For max setting, hardware anti-aliased gameplay, a fast SLI system is required. Given the 95%+ scaling seen on GeForce GTX 700 and 600 Series systems, suitable configurations include everything from SLI GeForce GTX TITAN Blacks to SLI GeForce GTX 670s, and perhaps other, older configurations too, though these were not tested.

All I know is that both my cards will read between 90%~99% usage and 60fps+ while standing still and once I pan the camera it's down to single digit frames!

They claim it reduces CPU overhead overall in all games but in Crysis 3 I get horrendous lag in the Welcome to the Jungle level when I just run like a lunatic in the fields where all the trains are parked. Mine is a non OC`d 2500k but still the lag is unacceptable. The GPU usage drops to 45-50% all of a sudden during that one level. Medium objects seem to be OK but when I turn on High or Very High my GPU usage drops dead!...

The game runs fine on rig in sig. My only issue is that in eyefinity the FOV doesnt scale. It zooms in on the center. I guess its a known issue that will be fixed with an upcoming patch. Playing in 1920 x 1080 until this issue gets fixed.

And the graphics are amazing in this game. Leaps and bounds over GTA IV.

The driving does feel clunky. I tried to play the game entirely on a 360 controller, but I've found I like KB+M while on foot and the 360 controller while driving.

Back