Wasn't someone coming out with....

Gmok Bonecrusha

[H]ard|Gawd
A CRT monitor that was totally flat and only like 8 inches deep?

Anyone remember the name of that company?And are they out yet?

I've seen reports about "slim" CRT televisions coming out by mid-year. I don't know about slim CRT monitors.

that's odd... why would you invent slim CRT's? They're bad for the eyes and all...
and besides, almost everybody that can afford it is switching to either LCD for monitors, or Plasma for TV's.

Haloevo said:
that's odd... why would you invent slim CRT's? They're bad for the eyes and all...
and besides, almost everybody that can afford it is switching to either LCD for monitors, or Plasma for TV's.

Because the picture quality of a good CRT is stil better. Because they don't have ghosting or backlight bleeding and don't generally suffer burn-in. Because we've been making CRTs for 100 years and have them pretty well figured out.

The main problem with a CRT is that it's big and bulky. You can only get CRT televisions up to a certain size because otherwise they'd weigh 1000 pounds and take up your entire room. People buy LCDs and Plasmas because they're large and thin. A thin CRT has the potential to deliver both those things but also a better picture and lower cost.

Elec beat me to it. ;)

The new, slim CRT televisions are gonna be big, widescreen, HDTV capable, and in the $500-$800 range. Samsung has some info on these TVs on its website.

Elec said:
Because the picture quality of a good CRT is stil better. Because they don't have ghosting or backlight bleeding and don't generally suffer burn-in. Because we've been making CRTs for 100 years and have them pretty well figured out.

The main problem with a CRT is that it's big and bulky. You can only get CRT televisions up to a certain size because otherwise they'd weigh 1000 pounds and take up your entire room. People buy LCDs and Plasmas because they're large and thin. A thin CRT has the potential to deliver both those things but also a better picture and lower cost.

I don't think a CRT would solve the weight issue with CRTs. Much of the weight on CRTs is caused by the glass in the front. A thin CRT would still have this issue. Also I'm skeptical about the image quality of a thin CRT vs. a normal CRT. When flat screen CRTs first came out, early units had issues with focus at the screen edges. I wouldn't be surprised if the new thin CRTs suffer from these issues as well. One of the reasons CRTs are so deep is because it's necessary for maintaining the geometery of the image as well as its focus. These new tubes will undoubtedly have circuitry to compensate for the reduced depth, however, it remains to be seen what the end result will be.

Since thin CRTs will be competing with LCDs (which have inherently perfect geometry) I doubt people will be very forgiving of any degradation in this respect.

I looked at the samsungs and the largest they have is 21" and not wide screen. :(

Back