Washington State Residents take Note! - Internet Sales Tax Starts

Dataman

Limp Gawd
Now is a good time to buy that New TV or Computer (Big Ticket Items) over the Internet!

Why?:

Online sales tax starts in July

May 16, 2008

Starting in July, retailers will start charging sales taxes on Internet customers in Washington.

About 1,100 online retailers have agreed to charge the tax to avoid being sued by the state. The tax is based on where the customer lives. Retailers have to identify 350 tax districts.

Info from Spokesman Review.

DM

Don't the vast majority of major retailers already charge this? I know I get hit with the 8.8% from Dell, Microsoft (Ultimate Steal), etc.

Don't the vast majority of major retailers already charge this? I know I get hit with the 8.8% from Dell, Microsoft (Ultimate Steal), etc.

Up until recently, most online sites only charged tax if they had a B&M location in your state. There is a push to collect taxes from any sale regardless of B&M locations being in your state.

Wa. state sux a dutchman's arse!!:mad:
Like they dont get enough revenues
from local sales tax & to top it off they control
the hard booz market, if thats not MAFIA
then what is it?!?!?!?:mad:
Time to ask for a job transfer.:D

Up until recently, most online sites only charged tax if they had a B&M location in your state. There is a push to collect taxes from any sale regardless of B&M locations being in your state.

Or if they've had a B&M within the past 5 years. If they go shut down their B&Ms in the state they can still collect tax through their online sites for 5 years currently.

Wa. state sux a dutchman's arse!!:mad:
Like they dont get enough revenues
from local sales tax & to top it off they control
the hard booz market, if thats not MAFIA
then what is it?!?!?!?:mad:
Time to ask for a job transfer.:D

Hey Big Rig, I hear ya mang! Run from Muk as fast as you can!

My state asks you on your state taxes if you bought anything online, from catalogs, or over the phone and then asks you to pay taxes on them when you submitt your taxes at the end of the year.... lol. Im sure the greedy bastards will follow suit since I really doubt the current system is working. -- Gee let me voluntarily gather up all of my reciepts from last year and pay some extra taxes becuz its the right thing to do!!! ....... (i didnt make enough to file because I just graduated 6 months ago).

So glad to live right next to the border with Idaho and thus, I have friends there who I will be shipping my stuff to from now on. :)

This is very bad for retailers. It means tax is calculated and charged (for anyone in a participating state) by the recipient's tax locality, not just their state. That means that online retailers now have to create and maintain a database of every possible taxing jurisdiction and figure out which of them the customer belongs to, and then collect that tax rate. I don't know how obscene the remittance of the collected tax will be, but if it's anything as asinine as the collection scheme is, retailers will be cutting hundreds if not thousands of checks a year to governments over this anyway.

Why they can't just decide on a flat-rate online tax I'll never know. I guess politicians have to justify their own existence with overblown legislation. I hope retailers make a huge stink about this the same way Overstock is over the NY "Amazon tax."

K-Mart tried to do this to me when I used that 10% off deal of theirs last month. They couldn't figure out which taxing district to use so they gave me the choice. Heck if I know which one I'm in either, so I just picked the lowest cost one.

Oh well. If I make any large purchases anyway, Oregon is just on the other side of the river. :)

But write your State Reps and the Gov and complain. It's bs for sure. It will be a nightmare for the seller.

No Reply from Newegg if they are going to honor this.

I would rather have National Sales Tax than this mess. Or keep it the way it is. None at all!

DM

Reply from Newegg:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

Newegg will not be required under any Washington State law to charge our Washington State customers sales tax. This is due to we do not have any business operations, locations, employees, property, etc. in Washington State, we do not fit the definition of a “retailer” under Washington State law.

But write your State Reps and the Gov and complain. It's bs for sure. It will be a nightmare for the seller.

No Reply from Newegg if they are going to honor this.

I would rather have National Sales Tax than this mess. Or keep it the way it is. None at all!

DM

Reply from Newegg:

Dear Customer,

Newegg will not be required under any Washington State law to charge our Washington State customers sales tax. This is due to we do not have any business operations, locations, employees, property, etc. in Washington State, we do not fit the definition of a “retailer” under Washington State law.

Looks like Newegg just won even more of my business...

Dear Customer,

Them's fightin' words. I hope Newegg can successfully resist this.

Like the government doesn't get enough damn money! WA charges more for gas tax, sales tax, and now they want internet sales tax. They should tax my feet for walking on WA ground!

Oh balls... Ima move to Vancouver WA... but have all my packages shipped to OR...

Great success :D!

Man thats total bullshit this is the first I've hard of it :( I live in Wa to...I'm so writing a fucking letter those dirty bastards

This shit starts in NY on June 1st. Just got the email. For my locality its going to be close to 9%. So Newegg is not going to get much business out of me from now on. I don't see how I will be able to save money from shopping from there.

Sucks, my fav store too :(

I haven't really minded too much about paying the tax when I shop with newegg. It almost seems fair for getting my stuff next day since I live so close to them :)

It could be worse I suppose. They could be taxing the internets!

I'm California is soon to follow.

It wouldn't be much of a change if CA implemented that, at least not in the tech sector. California already has de facto internet taxation because of all the retailers based there, making it de jure taxation doesn't really change much from what I can see.

Back