Wasabi Mango Zen U400

No way to be sure, the WM photo just isn't sharp enough.
But it does look closest to the TPV panel to me, which itself looks suspiciously similar to the Innolux V400DJ1-KS5 used in the iiyama LE4041UHS-B1/X4071UHSU-B1. (as I said not all Innolux panels look the same)
Maybe the manufacturer specs are bullshit and all are using rebranded Innolux panels, but better not to speculate.

Wasabi Mango
image.png

BDM4065UC (TPV)
image.png

LE4041UHS-B1 (Innolux)
image.png

These are slightly narrower subpixels than most other and they consists of 2x4 domain sections of equal size.

To me it looks the most like this, only flipped upside down so it's BGR.

Yeah it's possible and would support the advertisement. Could you make a closeup picture of a darker background?
The Samsung subpixels then turn off partially and the smaller of the 2 sections stays illuminated. Even on a photo without great magnification it should be visible.
New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Yeah it's possible and would support the advertisement. Could you make a closeup picture of a darker background?

Awww man... :( I'm sorry, but I literally just finished boxing it back up and taping all the foam around the box like 20 minutes ago. The seller is supposed to send me a prepaid shipping label tonight and refund me.

I honestly don't know if I'll take a chance on another direct-from-Korea monitor. MAYBE if I can find one with a better panel... I think the 43" and up Wasabi Mango / Crossover / AMH have IPS panels if I recall correctly. I might take a chance on one of those.

Awww man... :( I'm sorry, but I literally just finished boxing it back up and taping all the foam around the box like 20 minutes ago. The seller is supposed to send me a prepaid shipping label tonight and refund me.

I honestly don't know if I'll take a chance on another direct-from-Korea monitor. MAYBE if I can find one with a better panel... I think the 43" and up Wasabi Mango / Crossover / AMH have IPS panels if I recall correctly. I might take a chance on one of those.

Too bad, almost solved the puzzle :dead:
Yeah the 43'' and 49'' 4k Korean monitors use IPS panels (should be AS-IPS)

Anything wrong with the udh400 or uhd430

Has anyone here looked at the COCO402UT more closely?

It's been reported here that the Crossover COCO402UT does not have the locked backlight problem of the U400 and that it doesn't have the ghosting/pixel smearing that @NoxTek mentioned either.

It seems surprising that it wouldn't though. Since Crossover & WM are allegedly the same company and the two monitors are using identical panels. The backlight dimming implementation does rest on the assembling company's shoulders though.

@igorz: if you read that thread all the way from the top, you can see that some reports by "dreamking" are a bit overly optimistic.

@igorz: if you read that thread all the way from the top, you can see that some reports by "dreamking" are a bit overly optimistic.

I know, a lot have been overly optimistic about both monitors. And a lot of people don't know that there is a difference between brightness and backlight dimming. More data needed :)

Just unboxed and setted up my U400, however it's not working... turns on, but says "No Signal". Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Hardware
Windows 10 x64
i7-6700k
2x AMD RX-480
HDMI Cable (4k): Amazon.com: PlugLug® - HD-1000 Series 2.0 High-Speed HDMI Cable (6 Feet - White) - Triple Shielded, Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return, and CL3 Rated: Electronics
HDMI Cable(WiiU)

Purchased that HDMI Cable after reading all the reviews, the White Cable is a newer updated version that everyone reviewed recommends.

What I've tried:

Plugging HDMI(4k) RX480 -> U400 | Doesn't work
Plugging HDMI(WiiU) RX480 -> U400 | Doesn't work
Plugging HDMI(4k) RX480 -> 1080p monitor | works
Plugging HDMI(WiiU) RX480 -> 1080p monitor | works

Tried with different HDMI ports as well. Doesn't make any sense, because if it's not 4k60hz it should still display at 30hz right? I have the latest drivers installed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just unboxed and setted up my U400, however it's not working... turns on, but says "No Signal". Any suggestions would be fantastic.

it should still display at 30hz right? I have the latest drivers installed.

Yes, and if you reboot your connected PC you should also see the text mode POST screen. If you don't see that there is definitely trouble.

You don't mention if you actually tried a different HDMI cable or not, just that you bought the white one from Amazon. Have you tried another HDMI cable?

Just keeping anyone interested in my experience updated:

The ebay seller 'storewithstory' accepted my return request after reviewing the pictures with the splotch on the right of the screen and sent me a prepaid UPS shipping label. My unit is now on it's way back to South Korea and should be there by Friday.

For the record, I think the splotch was caused by these air pillow things they crammed into the box between the front of the screen and the inside of the box. They are these super rigid air pillows in big sheets, not the thin flimsy ones you might see in typical packing. I don't know if the shipper put these in there as an extra precaution against damage when traveling overseas, or if the manufacturer themselves put them in - but I think it was putting a large amount of pressure on the screen for a protracted amount of time which caused the splotch.

I'm just happy the seller hasn't given me any problems with the return. I get nervous as hell buying something expensive like this from an ebay seller anyway, let alone one overseas.

In a way I'm sort of glad it was damaged, since the pixel response time of the display overall was absolutely atrocious and I would NOT have been able to use it.

There is a very long thread on Overclocker.net on the IPS panel Wasabi Mango, it started with the UHD420 and continued with the UHD430 (both LG IPS panels). There is a separate but smaller thread on the UHD490.
Got a Wasabi-Mango 4k 42" Korean IPS monitor: What tests to run?
Wasabi Mango UHD490 4K 60Hz 49" AH-IPS 5㎳ FreeSync HDMI 2.0 / DP v1.2 HDCP 2.2 No-PWM 4:4:4 10-bit

These are more expensive than the comparable size in the ZEN lineup but appear to be better monitors overall from what I am reading. One note about nearly all these Korean monitors, the prices appear to go up as they become more widely available and as demand goes up, much more so than say anything you can buy at a US based retailer. Early adopters who take a chance can get better deals.

Last edited:
What a rookie mistake, plugged it into the far left one assuming it'd be 1, and plugged it into the next one assuming it would be 2. Turns out it was 4 and 3 respectively...

Anyways, the display looks fantastic, I do see some slight ghosting, so fast FPS like CSGO and Overwatch will probably be less than ideal. Then again I'm coming from a 6 year old monitor so I'm completely content. Again the speakers are dead awful as mentioned, no distorted blotches, the corners are darker than the center but I am sitting an arms length away and they disappear if I lean back. Is there any tools on an AMD I can use to determine if it's pushing 4:4:4 at 60hz?

What a rookie mistake, plugged it into the far left one assuming it'd be 1, and plugged it into the next one assuming it would be 2. Turns out it was 4 and 3 respectively...

Anyways, the display looks fantastic, I do see some slight ghosting, so fast FPS like CSGO and Overwatch will probably be less than ideal. Then again I'm coming from a 6 year old monitor so I'm completely content. Again the speakers are dead awful as mentioned, no distorted blotches, the corners are darker than the center but I am sitting an arms length away and they disappear if I lean back. Is there any tools on an AMD I can use to determine if it's pushing 4:4:4 at 60hz?

http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png

http://cdn.avsforum.com/b/b4/b4a44044_vbattach208609.png

View both of those pictures on your PC without any zoom. The top image should display '4:4:4' clearly. On the bottom picture, again with no zoom, pay attention to the last two lines. The blue on red and red on blue text should be clearly legible pixel for pixel and not smudgy or blurry. Again, it's crucial that these images are viewed at a 1:1 pixel ratio, not stretched or zoomed in any way.

As for texting the framerate you can use the following browser based test:

Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests

Reactions: Info
like this
http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png

http://cdn.avsforum.com/b/b4/b4a44044_vbattach208609.png

View both of those pictures on your PC without any zoom. The top image should display '4:4:4' clearly. On the bottom picture, again with no zoom, pay attention to the last two lines. The blue on red and red on blue text should be clearly legible pixel for pixel and not smudgy or blurry. Again, it's crucial that these images are viewed at a 1:1 pixel ratio, not stretched or zoomed in any way.

As for texting the framerate you can use the following browser based test:

Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests
4:2:2 uh oh

How would I get it to run at 4:4:4 on an AMD

4:2:2 uh oh

How would I get it to run at 4:4:4 on an AMD

Somewhere in the menus on the U400, there is a setting for EDID mode... change it so that it says HDMI 2.0 (or something similar, I forget exactly, remember I only had it for two days lol)

Somewhere in the menus on the U400, there is a setting for EDID mode... change it so that it says HDMI 2.0 (or something similar, I forget exactly, remember I only had it for two days lol)

Well I'd like to note that this monitor isn't overclockable. But I went into the settings and everything and set it to 4:4:4 yet it the chromapic hasn't changed.

Well I'd like to note that this monitor isn't overclockable. But I went into the settings and everything and set it to 4:4:4 yet it the chromapic hasn't changed.

Next step, you said an AMD card right?

Open Catalyst Control Center, go to 'My Digital Flat Panels' and find the 'Pixel Format' option and play around with it. Should be set to some variant of 4:4:4...

This is how it looks like, sorry for the over brightness, but 4:4:4 is barely visible.

Next step, you said an AMD card right?

Open Catalyst Control Center, go to 'My Digital Flat Panels' and find the 'Pixel Format' option and play around with it. Should be set to some variant of 4:4:4...
Yeap did just that, except Catalyst is now Radeon, but I did change those exact Pixel Format setting to 4:4:4 Full RGB

Hmm... ok one more thing. Back in the Zen U400 on screen menu, is 'HDMI Mode' set to 'PC Mode' or 'Video Mode'... it should be 'PC Mode'

Weird finally got it to work, I had set it to EDID 2.0, I then switched it from PC to Video mode, and noticed it was EDID 1.4, so I switched it back to EDID 2.0, GPU crashed (RX 480 drivers are really unstable right now), and now it's all working and 4:4:4 is super super visible! Finally switched back to PC Mode because I don't like the overscan

Cheers

Weird finally got it to work, I had set it to EDID 2.0, I then switched it from PC to Video mode, and noticed it was EDID 1.4, so I switched it back to EDID 2.0, GPU crashed (RX 480 drivers are really unstable right now), and now it's all working and 4:4:4 is super super visible! Finally switched back to PC Mode because I don't like the overscan

Cheers

On the U400 remote, there is a button... I THINK it's the very top right button. It controls the zoom mode and if you keep hitting it eventually 'Point to Point' should come up, that's where you want it to be to get rid of the overscan problem. :)

The only problem is mine wouldn't remember the zoom setting per input, so if I switched to another input (my Dish Network receiver for instance) and then switched back, it would be back on 4:3 mode and the image from the PC would be squished vertically.

And now I'm eyeballing the Zen U430.... someone shoot me.... lol

I'll tell you what, you have to just hope the wind and stars about in your favor if you ever have to return one of these. I sent the TV back to South Korea using the prepaid shipping label the seller sent me, and now it's stuck somewhere in South Korea undelivered with a big fat exception in the tracking becaus "This returned package requires an export invoice for duty relief." So apparently there is an extra invoice you're supposed to include when you return something to South Korea, otherwise UPS can't deliver it. So I've submitted a ticket with UPS asking if I can fax or email an invoice somewhere.

Jesus...

Who did you purchase from? When I returned my UHD400, green-sum sent me a UPS label but shipped to California, not SKorea. I purchased my new UHD400 from accessorieswholesale, this one has been issue free so hopefully don' t have to deal with a return.

Who did you purchase from? When I returned my UHD400, green-sum sent me a UPS label but shipped to California, not SKorea. I purchased my new UHD400 from accessorieswholesale, this one has been issue free so hopefully don' t have to deal with a return.

I purchased from ebay seller 'storewithstory', I'm pretty sure at least one other person in this thread did too. This one had to go all the way back to Goyang, Korea... at least the seller was kind enough to pay for return shipping.

Anyway I was on the phone to UPS all morning trying to figure out how to get the customs people in Incheon, Korea a copy of the signed customs invoice paper. I finally got in touch with someone who seemed to at least know what he was doing and he gave me an email address to send the document to. I did get a reply acknowledging receipt of the paperwork and telling me to keep an eye on the tracking link. I just hope hope hope somehow the winds blow in my favor and the package starts moving again. It's sitting in a warehouse like 15 minutes away from it's destination right now..... very frustrating! And scary, because from what I've read if they DON'T get the appropriate customs form and associate it with the package it could sit there for months.

Hardware
Windows 10 x64
i7-6700k
2x AMD RX-480
HDMI Cable (4k): Amazon.com: PlugLug® - HD-1000 Series 2.0 High-Speed HDMI Cable (6 Feet - White) - Triple Shielded, Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return, and CL3 Rated: Electronics
HDMI Cable(WiiU)

Purchased that HDMI Cable after reading all the reviews, the White Cable is a newer updated version that everyone reviewed recommends.

What I've tried:

Plugging HDMI(4k) RX480 -> U400 | Doesn't work
Plugging HDMI(WiiU) RX480 -> U400 | Doesn't work
Plugging HDMI(4k) RX480 -> 1080p monitor | works
Plugging HDMI(WiiU) RX480 -> 1080p monitor | works

Tried with different HDMI ports as well. Doesn't make any sense, because if it's not 4k60hz it should still display at 30hz right? I have the latest drivers installed.

Was there anything in particular that you did differently to get things running? I have a single RX 480 and the WM Zen U400 and I can't seem to get the RX 480 to display on the monitor. The monitor works fine when I tested it with my GTX 750 ti, and the RX 480 works fine when I test it with my 24" monitor...Been having this problem for two weeks now.

I'm really interested to see what everyone else's TV identifies itself as in Windows (in your GPU control panel). As I said my defective unit ID'd itself as a '289K', which makes me think somehow firmware from the Crossover 289K may have been loaded on it.

Anyway, the saga with my return continues. The TV spent 5 days being held in a warehouse in Incheon, tracking showed it being scanned each day and held with an exception for not having the proper customs paperwork. I spent every one of those days calling UPS, messaging the seller, scanning and emailing documents, etc. I don't know what finally changed but yesterday it was released from customs and delivered to it's destination. I have yet to hear back from the seller on the refund but I'm crossing my fingers that nothing else bad happens!

Just be careful when you purchase one of these monitors / TVs direct from Korea. You could be in for a world of trouble if you have to return it...

I'm still probably going to try for another one, probably a 43" IPS based model like the UHD430 or maybe even the Zen U430.

Last edited:
I just got one today :) So far so good with a 980ti, 4:4:4 8bit, setting eid to 2.0, pc mode, and Nvidia control panel from RGB to 4:4:4. Mine shows up as a 289k. All in all, was able to get off ebay for about $310 after ebay bucks if they count. Nothing really wrong, looks pretty good in comparison to my older HP ZR2740w (27" 1440p IPS screen) minus some color adjustments.

Also using a Zeskit 18 GBPS HDMI cable if that makes any difference. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E070YUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone has hooked up a color analyzer on this thing to calibrate it / have any good tips on advanced color settings for it ?

Back