Was wondering if anyone could help me with this?

superthrawn

Limp Gawd
I've got to give a speech next friday (a week), and I'm going to be speaking for a communications class on how to secure your computer.

Before I make my request, I would like to point out that this isn't an attempt by me to weasel out of research. I already have my required number of sources (one of which was taken right off the [H]ard Frontpage.).

What I'm asking is this? Does anyone know of any particularly easy to understand/brilliant/comprehendable by the layman piece of literature from a trusted source that I could use? I've done some looking into this, but most of the tech reports that I read are, by their nature, techy, and filled with too much technobabble and OS based jargon as to be completely incomprehensible to the common person (try explaining what SP2 is to the average computer user, and you know what I mean). Many of them (at least those I've dealt with) don't understand the concept of patches, Windows Update or Firefox...

All I'm asking is that you guys help me to help stem the tide of bots out there that will, one day, pose a serious threat to just about everyone.

If you want to "dumb" things down to the layman who doesn't know patching, you tell them to not use computers. :)

Maybe that was just a bad choice in example for you, since most people who are not techie use Windows, and patching is going to be a fact of life for a Windows user. Even if nothing else is every done to secure their computer, patching needs to be that one thing.

Not sure if this is down enough for you, but two links I like for overall, entry-level information are as follows:

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/support/sixty_minutes.pdf

http://isc.sans.org/presentations/first_things_first.php
This one is pretty technical, but check the links at the bottom.

You should also be able to Google up 'paper security beginner intro windows' or something along those lines.

There might be sources but let met tell you this. It is an infinitly better source if it came from yourself. If you take the time about an hour or a few minutes day to think of everday example of what you need to tell them, you will be golding and alwyas in a position to pitch for the team. This is something that I can do and do quite often. just think about it and try to relate it, you might not hit the correct analogy the first time but the longer you keep at tit the closer you get.

One such example is Firewalls eays to explain Just think Britta!

Thanks sexy...and that's a great analogy...should I cite you in my speech, too?

It's not the issue of tying to come up with analogies that I'm having problems with, it's the idea of trying to build credibility without going over everyone's head. I'm going out on a limb, but I doubt that anyone else in my class understands computers beyond a basic knowledge of the operating system...they wouldn't know what to do if I, for example told them that while they're running their P2P software, they're opening themselves up to all sorts of malware, trojans, adware and viruses. I would wager that the vast majority of them don't know what a firewall is, how to get one, or why they need it.

Sure, I could say "Getting [insert name] virus will affect your login screen, alter your winsock files, install new taskbar toolbars and leave you popups until you're blue in the face." And I'd likely get a series of blank stares until I said the word "popups". Fact, is this speech is necessary because no one knows what they're doing...but at the same time is nearly impossible to give, because no one knows what they're doing. Damn Catch-22.

Edit: And thanks for those links.

Back