Was this Verizon guy telling the truth?

HighYield

Gawd
So I'm looking for a new phone and have been lurking around here for a while getting lots of ideas. I decide to check out the Droid X in person at a verizon store which is pretty close by.
They have several on display and they look really nice. I ask the guy if they have any deals like what Dell has on their website. I said if I renewed my contract via Dell they would send me Droid X for $20. As soon as I bring this up he says that is impossible and that they are selling refurbished phones.

Here is the link at Dell

http://mobility.dell.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=35693_72726e963d8c4008baf3127bcaa50514

Anyone get a phone from Dell before? Do you really think they would be selling refurbished without mentioning that on the website? I know I should probably wait for a Thunderbolt that will come out in a week or two but If I could get a Droid X for $20 I think I would bite on that now since my old non-smartphone is a POS.

Sounds like a tactic to get you to buy on the spot to me. Make a call to Dell and ask for specifics if you want more info, but I can't imagine Dell selling a refurb without explicitly mentioning it in the offer, no.

I called them to and asked about it. This offer is fulfilled by Simplexity not Dell and their sales people were worse than the guy at the verizon store. I feel so unclean....and my phone is dirty too from talking to her. I asked if it was the same phone that verizon sells and she said yes. Lie #1. I found in the tiniest print on the website that this Droid X only comes with a 2 GB microSD card instead of the 16 GB card that verizon has. After I asked her about it she did own up to it being only 2 GB, but she said it was a new phone and not refurbished. I kind of believe that but I wonder what other fees they will add on and not tell you about. :eek:

Last November when I bought my X from Amazon wireless when they had them for a penny with a new contract or renewal, some people called Verizon to see if they would match the price. They would not, and even advised costumers to buy it from Amazon at that price.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B003UESOGA/ref=sh_br_ph_1

Renew for 20.00 or new line for a penny. Free shipping too, and last time they waved activation fees, and its a new phone.

Deal is back.

Sometimes its better to pay the price at the source than to deal with a third party that sells through...another third party? A fourth party? Lol

If you really want to save, you might want to keep an eye on best buy or radio shack and see if better deals can be had.

Last November when I bought my X from Amazon wireless when they had them for a penny with a new contract or renewal, some people called Verizon to see if they would match the price. They would not, and even advised costumers to buy it from Amazon at that price.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-Android-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B003UESOGA/ref=sh_br_ph_1

Renew for 20.00 or new line for a penny. Free shipping too, and last time they waved activation fees, and its a new phone.

Deal is back.

Nice thing about amazon wireless is that you can change the data plan to $15 a month and amazon won't charge you $250. Almost all other 3rd parties have something in their contract that says if you change the data plan they will charge you $250. Amazon you just have to keep the phone and line for 6 months so they wont charge you $250, you can move the phone to a different line on a family plan without problems. At least this what they told me when I ordered. I have had my phone about 3-4 months so I guess well find out in 2 months if they decide to try to charge me something.

No, the salesman is lying, but at the same time, he works on commission and you're basically rubbing the sale in his face. I've seen 3rd party places screw up accounts royally, almost always best to go to a corp store, and get it in person.

Disclaimer: I work for Verizon
The retailers set there own pricing. Its very possible its a new device. Amazon was selling droidx's for a penny for new customers ( they get more money from Verizon for new customer) that being said you would have to return your device to the reseller if there was a problem. Where as if you buy it from a corp store you get more support, in store Doa replacement, ect. On an additional note I have a droidx and.love it... especially after putting liberty rom on it! I'm typing this post on it

No, the salesman is lying, but at the same time, he works on commission and you're basically rubbing the sale in his face. I've seen 3rd party places screw up accounts royally, almost always best to go to a corp store, and get it in person.

I'd agree. Although he may not have been lying. Perhaps he really thinks their refurbished. idk:confused:

Don't vzw retailers work on hourly and not commission? I know third party retailers like wireless zone do commision plus hourly.

For the record, you will no longer buy a "new" Droid X with a 16gb SD Card...they all now come with 2gb cards...even from Verizon...go check it out for yourself(clcik the "Accessories" tab under the picture of the phone). This is how they have decided to reduce the costs of the phone since it is nearing EOL and Verizon/Moto are getting ready to push the Bionic and the rumored Droid X2....

Don't vzw retailers work on hourly and not commission? I know third party retailers like wireless zone do commision plus hourly.

Everyone in wireless makes commission, except walmart/target employees. Heck, even the greeters at wireless stores make commission off the store's sales, but the actual sales reps are probably making 66% of their money through commission.

The one My buddy got from Dell before Christmas was NIB. The 2 GB seems like a new change to the SKU. That's still 10GB of space. With 8GB on board a lot of places are starting to throw in smaller cards just because Android requires(ed) it.

He is lying,

The Droid X with the 2 gig card is the latest version. Verizon has dropped the rebate down to 50 dollars and is getting the phones shipped with the 2 gig card. The wholesale price has dropped from 528 down to the low to mid 400's . Your typical store cannot afford to sell it free since it would be at or near zero margin. The guys like Dell dont care since they do not buy the inventory, get the page hits and exposure to new customers and probaly pick up a spiff on the sale. The third party is more of a venture capital outfit that does not need to make margin on the porduct. but wants the long term residual reoccuring revenue so they break even if yo will but have a long term residual that the retail agents do not enjoy. The retail agtents get a residual but they drop off anywhere from 2 to 5 years out and if they do not continue to add new activations they risk loosing all residuals. The independent agents are basically endentured slaves. They have to take the shit from youngstera anouncing in thier show rooms how they can get the same phone free, the non stop crys from the carrier to increase new adds and the landlord wanting his money. God I am glad I do not own one any more. ENd of Rant

So I'm looking for a new phone and have been lurking around here for a while getting lots of ideas. I decide to check out the Droid X in person at a verizon store which is pretty close by.
They have several on display and they look really nice. I ask the guy if they have any deals like what Dell has on their website. I said if I renewed my contract via Dell they would send me Droid X for $20. As soon as I bring this up he says that is impossible and that they are selling refurbished phones.

Here is the link at Dell

http://mobility.dell.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=35693_72726e963d8c4008baf3127bcaa50514

Anyone get a phone from Dell before? Do you really think they would be selling refurbished without mentioning that on the website? I know I should probably wait for a Thunderbolt that will come out in a week or two but If I could get a Droid X for $20 I think I would bite on that now since my old non-smartphone is a POS.

Droid X... refurb.. do. not. want. :eek: Stay away from the phone if you can and wait till a new model comes out... I've had nothing but problems out of the five i've had, First was new, next three were refurbs and the last was new I've had nothing but problems out of these phones, battery life is horrible, slow as hell and takes forever to navigate the menus, randomly reboots, dialer fails to function around 50% of the time, sometimes the thing just hard locks and you have to pull the battery, all 5 of them have been factory reset numerous times and have no components (battery, charger, memory card) in common with each other.

Droid X... refurb.. do. not. want. :eek: Stay away from the phone if you can and wait till a new model comes out... I've had nothing but problems out of the five i've had, First was new, next three were refurbs and the last was new I've had nothing but problems out of these phones, battery life is horrible, slow as hell and takes forever to navigate the menus, randomly reboots, dialer fails to function around 50% of the time, sometimes the thing just hard locks and you have to pull the battery, all 5 of them have been factory reset numerous times and have no components (battery, charger, memory card) in common with each other.

I have had zero problems with mine, my battery life is comparable to my friends iphone 4. But at this point it is an old phone and I would recommend a newer one over it.

Sounds like a personal issue.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Motorola-...ref=sh_br_ph_1

Deal is back.

A SALES MAN LYING FROM VERIZON?!?! No way! I would have never thought! Every cell employee can lie and make a sale and places like tmobile do NOTHING but say "oh well, they lied!" when you want to change your account back the way you had it.

Yeah, there are loopholes there at amazon :cool: Either that, or amazon is just much easier to work with. Their customer service usually uses common sense to do simple changes to your accounts and such.... while other places use idiots for their CS, forcing you to call multiple times or talk to a higher-up to do something beyond what a normal CS idiot does on a daily basis.... :rolleyes: Amazon for the win

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back