Warranty denied

Saabjock

Gawd
Is anybody else concerned about the lack of warranty support on newer graphics cards?
I've been watching Krisfix and Northridge for a few weeks.
The number of high-end GPUs with rejected warranties is a bit of a concern.

Last edited:
I don't have enough information about the "denied GPU warranties" thing to know how widespread it is. But for myself, I'm not at all worried because I tend to void my warranties with extreme hardware mods after about a 3-month burn in period. Any GPU manufacturer would laugh me out of the room if I tried to RMA a card that I've bodged-out so I tend to give them some time to reveal factory defects and then throw the whole warranty thing to the wind.

I already made money back on my GPUs through mining. Now whatever they are doing for me is a bonus.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Majority of my cards are EVGA so I don't worry. Don't abuse them or cause a reason to be denied and you should not have a problem.

I have yet to have one die that was not my fault. (screwed up while putting an aftermarket cooler on a x1900xtx)
I've never actually killed a GPU through misuse despite some heavy overclocking and (way in the past) elementary bios modding.

However, I've had GPUs die that were not my fault (electrical storm killed a 5970 and a motherboard) and I've also had GPUs that either didn't perform to spec or in one instance had such horrific coil whine that an electrician called the specific 7970 a fire hazard. Things happen and it's important for card manufactures and AiB partners to offer comprehensive warranties and then to honor them. Then again, some companies, like Asus, you know going in that there is a high probability of the warranty just being plain disregarded... and yes that is a factor when I consider whether to buy a part from any given company.

I've never actually killed a GPU through misuse despite some heavy overclocking and (way in the past) elementary bios modding.

However, I've had GPUs die that were not my fault (electrical storm killed a 5970 and a motherboard) and I've also had GPUs that either didn't perform to spec or in one instance had such horrific coil whine that an electrician called the specific 7970 a fire hazard. Things happen and it's important for card manufactures and AiB partners to offer comprehensive warranties and then to honor them. Then again, some companies, like Asus, you know going in that there is a high probability of the warranty just being plain disregarded... and yes that is a factor when I consider whether to buy a part from any given company.
As it should be. Skip products from companies that don't honor their warranties.

Just an FYI, lots of GPU manufacturers have changed their terms so that mining voids the warranty.

Just an FYI, lots of GPU manufacturers have changed their terms so that mining voids the warranty.
And if a card was not physically changed or bios modded, I don’t see how they could prove it was mined on. Unless there was some other hardware trip built in.

And if a card was not physically changed or bios modded, I don’t see how they could prove it was mined on. Unless there was some other hardware trip built in.
True, except lots of people post on the evga forums admitting they were mining on it.

Only problem card I had was hard to replicate the issue on (would black screen randomly - EVGA GTX 970) and was outside any warranty period by the time it had that issue. I lucked out and was able to just go down to Micro Center and replace it with an EVGA GTX 1660 for cheap/quick fix in October 2020 literally right before everyone started running on cards. So got extremely lucky on the timing.

Rest of my cards I still have have never had problems with. Warranty doesn't factor much into my thought to be honest. It is nice to have though for a brand new product in case of some factory defect or design flaw (see some of the 30-series stuff), but otherwise most cards break outside the period.

So I guess my question is, what is the context for the OP? Are there new cards without warranties now or something?

I recently rma'ed a EVGA 2070. It was a folding card and made me tin of that during the rma process. I also fold for Team EVGA so that might have made a difference.

Zero. Buy a new GPU from a reputable retailer/brand. I've had 2 GPUs die on me before, and both were replaced with the same or a better GPU, no questions asked.

I purchased a Power Color Liquid Devil RX6900XT from a reputable dealer and it cost me an arm & a leg, and a kidney.

My system it was in has been randomly powering off. I've combed through the even logs and can't find a reason for it. It's been well over the return period for the reseller and I am concerned that by the time I find out the root cause for the power offs the video card will be out of warranty.

IF that happens, and IF it is the video card at fault, I won't be able to return it and it will be because I haven't been quick enough on the troubleshooting front to find the problem...I can accept that, even if I don't particularly like it.

I have only had to warranty one video card, a 6950 ages ago, with MSI and it was a mediocre experience. I also warrantied an Asus monitor, also a mediocre experience. But I got my RMAs done. That being said, my current GPU is a 3080, and an EVGA; my power supply is an EVGA. I hope I never have to use the warranty, but I've only heard great things about EVGA's warranty process.

I have 1 Gigabyte card. It runs great and is a 1080ti. It will be the only one I'll ever have. EVGA will get my business if at all possible.

I remember back in the day I had a few video cards bit the dust. RMA was painless and cards were replaced. Brands were PowerColor, XFX and Asus.

Corsair has fucked me big time and I will never purchase their products ever again. I can still feel it in my ass like a misshapen buttplug.

I've done video card warranti
I remember back in the day I had a few video cards bit the dust. RMA was painless and cards were replaced. Brands were PowerColor, XFX and Asus.

Corsair has fucked me big time and I will never purchase their products ever again. I can still feel it in my ass like a misshapen buttplug.

How would you know what a butt plug in your ass feels like?

I purchased a Power Color Liquid Devil RX6900XT from a reputable dealer and it cost me an arm & a leg, and a kidney.

My system it was in has been randomly powering off. I've combed through the even logs and can't find a reason for it. It's been well over the return period for the reseller and I am concerned that by the time I find out the root cause for the power offs the video card will be out of warranty.

IF that happens, and IF it is the video card at fault, I won't be able to return it and it will be because I haven't been quick enough on the troubleshooting front to find the problem...I can accept that, even if I don't particularly like it.

Honestly that sounds like the power supply's overvolt protection circuit kicking in - I had similar problems with a Seasonic Focus 550W and a Vega 64. I see that you are using a 1000W unit with this card, but it could be an issue that all the PCIe power leads for the 6900XT are on the same rail internally.

A couple of things you can try:

1) If your power supply is modular, try connecting one of the PCIe power leads to a different connector on the power supply end. Most modular units have a graphic showing "groupings" of which ports are wired together internally. If it is NOT a modular unit, AND has extra PCIe power cords, try one of the other ones.

2) If that fails, try an entirely separate power supply on those PCIe power connectors on the video card. Connect the second power supply with the motherboard connector plugged to run continuously (many power supplies come with a "plug" that shorts the correct pin in the motherboard connector for just this purpose).

Corsair support is something, going on 3 weeks now since my ticket has last been updated and went ahead and bugged them again about it lol. This isn't even for a damaged item or anything just for a refund lmao.

I keep hearing more and more bad things about Gigabyte. Doesn't instill confidence.
If I remember correctly, Northridge and a few others were taking a look at the 3000 series GPUs from Gigabyte. It’s up for debate if it is a flaw in the PCB/Heatsink design that is causing some of these boards to crack around the pcie connector. This crack apparently was caused by “improper packing” during RMA, according to Gigabyte.

But we only have one side of the story, people are quick to believe their own lie if they are trying to recoup a costly mistake.

As for me, I ended up sticking with Asus for motherboards and EVGA for GPUs since the 900 series cards. However, two years ago my view towards Asus changed.

My brand new G14 power adapter was dead out of the box. Instead of taking it back to the store where took six weeks to get it shipped over here special order, I decided to keep it and deal with Asus RMA…. Well after several emails, different point of contacts, and a week of going back and forth. The replacement of my broken power adapter was going to use up my one time defect repair. Since these were first Gen models I didnt want to waste it on that or some other unknown issue that would pop up later, like frying your G14 if the AC adapter and USBC power delivery port was receiving power at the same time. I grabbed one from England Amazon page and it has worked since then.

Honestly that sounds like the power supply's overvolt protection circuit kicking in - I had similar problems with a Seasonic Focus 550W and a Vega 64. I see that you are using a 1000W unit with this card, but it could be an issue that all the PCIe power leads for the 6900XT are on the same rail internally.

A couple of things you can try:

1) If your power supply is modular, try connecting one of the PCIe power leads to a different connector on the power supply end. Most modular units have a graphic showing "groupings" of which ports are wired together internally. If it is NOT a modular unit, AND has extra PCIe power cords, try one of the other ones.

2) If that fails, try an entirely separate power supply on those PCIe power connectors on the video card. Connect the second power supply with the motherboard connector plugged to run continuously (many power supplies come with a "plug" that shorts the correct pin in the motherboard connector for just this purpose).

The PSU has connectors for VGA labeled VGA 1 through VGA 5. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a "grouping" graphic so I do not know which ones are on which rail.

I felt it was smart (at the time of the build) to space them out so I connected the video card to connectors 1, 3, and 5 and it exhibited the symptoms I mentioned...random power offs

Maybe the way EVGA's PSU is set up is that odd numbers are on one rail and even numbers are on another...(?)

In any case, with this EVGA Dark X570 motherboard, I connected 1, 2, 3 and 4 since it has a PCIe auxiliary Power Connector on the motherboard itself to supply additional power to the slots...so I am hopeful that using connectors 1 2 3 and 4 resolves my issue...

Thanks for the advice!

As for me, I ended up sticking with Asus for motherboards and EVGA for GPUs since the 900 series cards. However, two years ago my view towards Asus changed.
I have heard recently this as well. That Asus is getting harder to deal with. That's unfortunate as historically it's one of my favorite brands.

Wth is Krisfix and Northridge and why should we care?
Nice response there.
I'd think you should care given the astronomical prices for GPUs.
For the record...those are two Youtube channels dedicated to fixing broken electronics.
Lots of RTX cards...including quite a few 3080s and 3090s have been reviewed in the last few episodes I've watched.
Many GPUs were typically covered in the past with a three year warranty, if registered within thirty days of purchase.
Guess that's not a 'thing' anymore.
End-users are having warranties rejected in droves...including quite a few Gigabyte cards with cracks slightly above the PCI-e riser slot.
Some GPU manufacturers have silently started rejecting warranties if purchased from anyone who is not deemed an authorized reseller.
That includes many cards purchased on Amazon.
Little to no documentation to this extent is published on their website either.
Some owners are getting a rather rude awakening when things go south.
Shocker!...when people find out their $1250-$2600 card is not covered.

Last edited:
Had an EVGA RTX 3090 waterblock go bad (leaked from the middle of the block), recorded a video showing it. They received the bad card last Wednesday, new card arrives tomorrow.

Back