• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WARNING: Win10 install software can eat your data!!!

brutalizer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Messages
1,603
Be cautious if you are going to dual boot Windows 10 and Solaris / Linux / non Windows OS. Win10 install software might eat your non windows disks. This happened to me:

1) I created a Windows 10 install USB. Then I booted up the USB to double check it worked. I browsed some of the install options, I browsed my disks in the system. I am using a Solaris 11.3 system disk, and Windows 10 could see it, among the other zfs disks. Great. So I exited the install software without any changes. I just browsed the Win10 install software. When I rebooted, the Win10 install software had overwritten the start sectors of my Solaris system disk. Solaris is not bootable anymore. So, by just booting up Windows 10 install software and browsing, it started to overwrite my Solaris system disk. So do not even boot up the Windows 10 install software, because it can overwrite your non Windows system disks, say you have Linux or FreeBSD, chances are high that Windows install software will overwrite the start sectors.

2) With my Solaris system disk unbootable, I inserted a brand new 1TB SSD disk. I booted up the Windows 10 install software and partitioned my SSD disk. Half of it was going to Windows 10. So I started the Windows 10 installation to the SSD disk. After installation completed, and Windows 10 was working fine, I was going to install Solaris 11.3 on the rest of the SSD disk. So I booted up Solaris 11.3 liveCD and found out that my 4TB zfs disk was gone. It turned out that Windows 10 had partitioned my zfs disk into two parts, and formated the first part, and used it as a scratch area during installation of Windows 10. So, when you install Windows 10, remove all other non windows disks from the PC, or Windows install software might mistake the non ntfs disks as raw unformated disks, to use freely at Win10's own will.

TL;DR When you install Windows 10, remove all other non windows disks from the system, or Windows install software might overwrite them with garbage.

Anyone else has had this problem???
 
You can't "just browse" past the hard drive partitioning page, it writes the changes when you go to the next screen.

Did you do the UEFI install?
 
Last edited:
Personally I don't bother with trying to put multiple OSes on one drive. So much easier to have 1 SSD per OS if multi booting. Windows 7 and up is really weird with multi boot and tricky to get working.
 
Maybe you did not have a standard MBR or GPT layout (or not on all) on the disk so it assumed it was empty?
 
Back
Top