Warning To You All About Water Cooling

Nexxus

Limp Gawd
though I would take the time to warn you all so you do not repeat my mistake... Ok So I re-did my water cooling to make it internal and shorten up tube lengths... Re-did that. All was peachy. Then it came time to take the cpu block off (switching mobo's) So I was trying to inch it off inch by inch... it was somewhat stuck so to be carefull i took off the cpu lock bar... so i kept pulling evenly and pop... the cpu comes off with the water block still attached... the thermal paste was acting like.. well paste.. it was really freaking stuck on there (arctic silver 5) So when all is done I get ready to go and put the cpu onto the new motherboard... what do I find... 8 bent pins in the corner.. I've never been more fucking pissed off in my life. There goes 380 fucking dollars down the drain.. Im seriously... just going to cry.. So now I have to wait like 2 more weeks just to get a processor that works... (have to work and get money for a new one) so Im just..well crying...

Lesson: DONT PULL YOUR WATERBLOCK TO HARD!

EDIT: Found more.. Its now around 16-20 pins

take a mechanical pencil (.5 mm works the best) and use it to straighten out the pins. Ive done it many a time.

All is not lost!

ok... let me put it this way... most pins look like this | mine looks like this ---

its at a 160 degree angle versus 90.... 8 of them...

You should at least try to straighten them... :(
Just do it really slowly so they don't snap off because of the sharp bend.

That sucks major ass. Good luck on getting those straightened out. I would be very unhappy to say the least in your situation.

This isn't really a warning about watercooling, it's a warning about thermal interfaces in general. I recently removed my stock Intel HSF+TIM from my CPU and had the same problem. The TIM had turned to glue in the time since I installed it - I pulled too hard and the HSF came away with the CPU stuck to the bottom. I hadn't even released the retention bar on the ZIF socket!! I was really lucky though, all the pins were straight and ok.

Sorry to hear you weren't so lucky Nexxus but it's a good warning for others to heed. :(

I had that happen once, too.

I found a closed staple to be a good way to straighten the pins. If you've got a stapler, just squeeze one out. It'll have a handy little loop you can use to sort of hook the pins and pull them upright.

if you don't want the chip, don't throw it away, send it to me plez. ill give it a go and maybe end up with a new chip :) ...

I tried... I cant get them all.. turns out theres way more then 8... theres around 20... and one of the pins is getting ready to snap off even if i touch it... sigh...

If you can't fix it and none of the pins are broken off, I'll buy it off you for $20 bucks. (rather than throwing it away)

i wonder if its possible to return it.. I mean amd does have a warrenty right? Does it cover my situation perhaps.. I bought the retail version

'amd's warranty definitively wont cover bent pins'

Thats not true, assuming you used a block that was under the rated weight that AMD sets (I dunno what that is), they will replace it, it happens to em all the time, newbs who don't know how to install a CPU and fuck it up (not you lol, the multitude of others though), its common to them. In fact i've done it before, on an XP1700+ which I bent the pins on cuz im a MORON. I can't exactly remember but it had something to do with the temp probe on my volcano 9 hsf, don't laugh lol. They returned it no probs, tell them your a student too, they tend to be more helpful (I explained that I was poor and in dire need of my comp to do work, and he was like o in that case i'll make sure I get you a new CPU asap).

Thats bad luck though man :( I was reading that thread earlier, everyone telling you to mount inside your case, and this is what you get lol, bad luck sucks :(

HiTech-Hate said:
'amd's warranty definitively wont cover bent pins'

Thats not true, assuming you used a block that was under the rated weight that AMD sets (I dunno what that is), they will replace it, it happens to em all the time, newbs who don't know how to install a CPU and fuck it up (not you lol, the multitude of others though), its common to them. In fact i've done it before, on an XP1700+ which I bent the pins on cuz im a MORON. I can't exactly remember but it had something to do with the temp probe on my volcano 9 hsf, don't laugh lol. They returned it no probs, tell them your a student too, they tend to be more helpful (I explained that I was poor and in dire need of my comp to do work, and he was like o in that case i'll make sure I get you a new CPU asap).

Thats bad luck though man :( I was reading that thread earlier, everyone telling you to mount inside your case, and this is what you get lol, bad luck sucks :(

wow , i guess i was wrong , i never had to return a cpu i just assumed that they wouldnt cover mistakes made by the end user , they have better service than what i would give :D

sigh if they dont im SOL... I cant afford another processor for the life of me

Nexxuss i'll buy that proc off you for $25 if you cant RMA, no sense throwing it away (and I want it!!! lol)

HiTech-Hate said:
Nexxuss i'll buy that proc off you for $25 if you cant RMA, no sense throwing it away (and I want it!!! lol)

I offered first! lol ;)

Seriously though, if you want to fix it, there are some tricks you can try. I was an M1A2 system technician in the army and we used to fix bent pins all the time. (albiet not quite that skinny)
Heat is a big help in not breaking off pins. (softens the metal) Also if you can find metal tubing thats small enough, (for example, a hyperdermic needle) you can slip it over the pins to bend them back up strait. If you can't get a hold of a Hyp needle, they usually have injecting needles in ink refill kits that could work. If you use a heat gun, it will help to keep from breaking them off, just make sure you don't over do it. Also, try using pins or needles. Just slide them between or under the bent pins and pull strait up. (small safety pins are good for this) You may find it useful to work with 2 safety pins at the same time.

Good luck man.

Nexxus said:
officially over pin broke off... goody...

Damn, I posted too late.
You may be able to fix it still. If you can find copper wire with the right guage strands, it may be possible to replace the pin. How far from the edge is the broken pin?

Don't us thermal paste. Use Arctic Silver 5. It doesn't stick I had the same problem with my original Clawhammer. I use the stock heatsink. It had paste. i treied to tak it off and it wouldn't move. I finaly got it off but the pin were bent. AMD sent me anoher one. I Used Arctic Silver 5 and the next time I took it off it did not stick at all.

funbun said:
Don't us thermal paste. Use Arctic Silver 5. It doesn't stick I had the same problem with my original Clawhammer. I use the stock heatsink. It had paste. i treied to tak it off and it wouldn't move. I finaly got it off but the pin were bent. AMD sent me anoher one. I Used Arctic Silver 5 and the next time I took it off it did not stick at all.

Arctic Silver IS thermal paste. ;)

3 types of TIMs

Thermal paste
Thermal adhesive
Thermal pads

Just an FYI

It's generally recommended to not slide or pull an HSF off, but twist it off instead.

That happened to me a while ago too. I was putting new water in the system, and when I removed the block, I didn't see the CPU in the socket. So i'm like WTF. Then on the bottom of the block was my CPU, stuck to it with Artic Silver 5 thermal paste.

Gave me a bit of a scare. Here's what it looked like. And before anyone says, yes I know it's a little too much paste.

cpustuck.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm surprised that proc worked after that, you covered the entire base of the CPU with a conductive liquid lol! I hope you learned your lesson!!! (Only a tiny tiny tiny bit of as5 should be used, like half a grain of rice).

Nexxus said:
I was using arctic silver 5

How much did you put on? I find it hard to believe that this happened after using the recommended amount. A layer of AS5 that's thinner than paper is not going to glue a CPU to a heatsink.

i know how much goes on a processor.. i've been building comps for 3 years ^_^

i put 4 microscopic dots =D then take an old credit card and make it even across the whole processor.. if its too thick i take it off an do it again

Nexxus said:
i know how much goes on a processor.. i've been building comps for 3 years ^_^

i put 4 microscopic dots =D then take an old credit card and make it even across the whole processor.. if its too thick i take it off an do it again

On the site for AS5 it says for Athlon 64 you just put a dab a little smaller then a BB (3/4 the size) and then just put the heatsink down straight and tighten it up. Once tight just twist it a little (about 2-3 degrees) and that should work.

Nexxus's method will work too, hes just doing what they used to describe on their website. I think they changed it cuz they found out it doesnt make a lick of difference, and it makes it easier for ppl to apply (which leads to more sales for them heh).

is there any feedback on that guy? i dont want to send me processor to someone who can keep it and him just keep it... or have him fix it and he sends me a broken one and tells me it isnt possible =D

I've had him re-cap a mobo. I also know him from alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit where he posts as Homie, you'll get a lot of testimonials about his work there.

Google Groups.

cgrant26 said:
3 types of TIMs

Thermal paste
Thermal adhesive
Thermal pads

Any difference between thermal paste and thermal grease? Never been quite clear to me :confused:

I crapped my self the other week removing my pristine new Athlon64 3400+ Newcastle from my Shuttle SK83G XPC. I looked down to get the processor and was like, "Um -- where the fuck did my expensive processor go?" It was near my ear, where I was holding the ICE heatsink from the XPC.

I used the Arctic Silver Ceramique -- using the recommended application methods from the AS website.

IronChefMorimoto

enforcer17 said:
That happened to me a while ago too. I was putting new water in the system, and when I removed the block, I didn't see the CPU in the socket. So i'm like WTF. Then on the bottom of the block was my CPU, stuck to it with Artic Silver 5 thermal paste.

Gave me a bit of a scare. Here's what it looked like. And before anyone says, yes I know it's a little too much paste.

cpustuck.jpg

Jesus Christ how much thermal paste you put on that thing???? you only need a little bit......

3 words: HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOOB

Enigma said:
Jesus Christ how much thermal paste you put on that thing???? you only need a little bit......

3 words: HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOOB

That was gold. :D

I applied my Arctic Silver 3 using a razor blade to get it as thin as I possibly could while still covering the entire top of the processor. My Zalman ALCU 7000 or whatever heatsink ALWAYS sticks to the processor. After 5+ times of doing this, I am still free of bent pins. I have learned to open up the socket before removing the heatsink as I know what's coming out with the heatsink :)

Back