Warning: Social Media Could Harm Your Career

HardOCP News

[H] News
So, if I understand this article correctly, there are better uses of your time than Facebook and Twitter? Pffft. Whatever. :rolleyes:

A dedication to cultivating your social media brand is a fundamentally passive approach to professional advancement. It diverts your time and attention away from producing work that matters and towards convincing the world that you matter. The latter activity is seductive, especially for many members of my generation who were raised on this message, but it can be disastrously counterproductive. Most social media is best described as a collection of somewhat trivial entertainment services that are now having a good run. These networks are fun, but you're deluding yourself if you think that Twitter messages, posts and likes are a productive use of your time.

Wait, do ppl use Facebook to further their career? I use it to keep in touch with family/friends and also learn things about cars, cause I'm part of a car group. None of it has anything to do with furthering my career, nor am I constantly updating a blog or whatever.

It sounds more like that writer has an additive personality more than anything else.

Soon I will be using FB to advance my career. I am working on a project that is a tourist attraction, when I get a bit further along I will be posting tutorials about how certain items were made, pushing the project and advertising to draw in more clients. I have lightly tested this and so far have positive leads.
I dunno but by any means neccessary to advance a very fun career start up for me.

obviousman.jpg

Before hiring people, we sometimes take a casual glance at someones public Facebook feed. I've been floored by some of the shit we've seen. You wonder - are the people this stupid to make something public? You then wonder, if they are this dumb with social media, maybe I shouldn't hire them... One had a bunch of Nazi crap in his feed. That would not go over well at all.
You could argue this is private - but not when they make it public.

Lol, I added my boss to my Facebook then tag him in any post that mocks him for being Chinese, I think it's doing wonders for my career :p

Before hiring people, we sometimes take a casual glance at someones public Facebook feed. I've been floored by some of the shit we've seen. You wonder - are the people this stupid to make something public? You then wonder, if they are this dumb with social media, maybe I shouldn't hire them... One had a bunch of Nazi crap in his feed. That would not go over well at all.
You could argue this is private - but not when they make it public.

that is what I thought from the headline was going to be the point that posting certain things on Facebook could hurt your career.

Newsflash: using cell phone apps during work greatly lowers your productivity.

Back