Warning PNY 6800's at CompUSA with missing capacitors

My PNY 6800 GT is great, no problems. Overclocks to 425 Mhz core/ 1.16 Ghz memory with not much problems.

How did you even notice it was missing a capacitor? Did you try and run it and it wouldnt work or did you get the good old spare parts rolling around in the box?

For one I have had a PNY 4600ti for a few years now. NEVER have had a problem with it. Oh and PNY support is terrible, its hard to get a RMA number but once you do theres no problem obtaining a replacment item.

This indeed sucks to hear. Maybe they just had a bad batch or something. it could also have been some rough handling by the shipper. I have several friends with PNY GT's and Ultras with nothing but good things to say.

My BFG6800 Ultra also said "Do not return to the store" so I doubt that earlier statement by someone claiming thats why PNY sucks really holds much merit.

Im actually on my 3rd PNY, had a Geforce 3 ti200 (still working great), gave my bro my old Geforce FX 5200 and after I installed it in his new comp the fan stopped working-- strange eh? But that was after a year and a half of use so thats not bad. And now I have a PNY 6800NU, works great and I was lucky enough to get an intact card :)

My eVGA said the same thing when I opend the box about not returning to the store.

Most cards will say DO NOT RETURN TO STORE the reason being is that the manufacturers want the card back so that noone else can get it and have the same prob, and they could fix it and then learn from their mistakes in the future. ;)

SaViOr

they have it because most people are stupid and dont know how to install a video card.. but i can still make a joke. I probably won't buy PNY again, but I'm not sure I'll waste my time returning this one, I don't even play games that much.

Hmm...never had anything against this company since this is the first time I have bought a card from them. I have the 6800nu from CompUSA and have no problems. In fact, I am unlocked and overclocked to 385 core/ 855 mem. I recommend you all that have the capacitors missing to replace and get a fully intact card instead of bitching. Maybe it was poor construction or poor shipping...either way it is still a good card. You guys can get a replacement and still be happy. To all that were thankful that you didn't get the card because of this dilemma...you are the most unfortunate and missed out on a great deal.

Same thing happened to me. There was a capacitor rolling around in there. However it all seems to be working great image quality is great 2D and 3D. I overclocked it to 365/780 with detect optimal settings. But still it makes me mad to think I spent $200 on a card to have capcitors rolling around in the box. And tech support has been useless so far.

where is this detect optimal settings? :p lol the motherboard optimal settings? i don't think that would bring my unexplicable 7075 3dmark03 score up to where it should be.. im going to try aquamark to see how that goes..

I got an extra capacitor? (one of those little sqaurish things) in my packaging too.

i really couldn't find a place where it belonged on my card (the capacitor looked like it had been soldered to something previously) so i went ahead and plugged it in.

artifacts w/ the extra pipelines. vertex shader works fine... haven't o/c'd yet...

this is weird and/or sad

edit: ah crap... just looked again. i'm missing that same one.

well i have a success story in this "pny batch of horror"

got the card at compusa in lexington, ky with no broken resistor/capacitor to be found in the box.

stock bench of 9324 in 3dmark03, about to try a soft mod wish me luck!

??? i thought these were capacitors

camera-flash-5.jpg

Xxplosiv said:
??? i thought these were capacitors

camera-flash-5.jpg

They're talking about surface-mount-technology (SMT) capacitors. They're small, rectangular, and about half the size of a small grain of rice.

oh, lol. i was about to mention that i didnt see any cap's around that part of the vid card lol

one of the reasons i think this could've happened is they packaged it so poorly. they stuck a stirophone(sp) piece of flat board to seperate the manuals, cd's, installing stuff from the card. the stirophone board was right on the card and the manuals and stuff was pressin down on the card. this can be the cause but i can be wrong. but i don't think applying pressure to a product makes it a safe product...

shade said:
one of the reasons i think this could've happened is they packaged it so poorly. they stuck a stirophone(sp) piece of flat board to seperate the manuals, cd's, installing stuff from the card. the stirophone board was right on the card and the manuals and stuff was pressin down on the card. this can be the cause but i can be wrong. but i don't think applying pressure to a product makes it a safe product...
Wait, styrofoam was actually touching the card? In my experience styrofoam generates static electricity when rubbed against another object. As you know, static discharge is bad for sensitive electronics... :confused:

Glad it wasnt just me. My PNY 6800 ultra from compusa had the exact same problem as well as a prorblem with the fan guard grinding against the fan. After a fan modification to give it just enough clearance to not touch and resoldering the capacitor that was off things have been fine. Very disapointing though for a $500 card.

yes the styrophone was touching the fan not the card itself. and on TOP of the card which has the styrophone is the manuals,cd's, and all the stuff that comes with it. thats pressure on the card...

sinner0423 said:
I think that may have something to say with the quality of it, quite honestly.

BFG has the same paper in ther boxes as well so I guess we should question BFG's quality too huh?

saturnine2 said:
Wait, styrofoam was actually touching the card? In my experience styrofoam generates static electricity when rubbed against another object. As you know, static discharge is bad for sensitive electronics... :confused:

Its antistatic foam padding. I see the stuff all the time where I work.

I got the same card. First one I had was missing a capacitor. So I returned it and naturally checked it out before I left the store. The one I have now as intact, and I've been testing it out on a little Doom3 this evening, which I never played before. 2D graphics seem poor, so I don't know if it is how I set the card up, or the card itself, or even my KVM. There is no artifacting in games. Anyone have any ideas or tests where I could compare how my 6800 is performing compared to those of other makes without having to buy another card?

Damn, I leave for little while and a crap load of posts. Glad that I circled the right one on the pic, at least now everyone else has an idea of which one to look out for, looks like one person has already noticed it missing where they didn't before. Luckily the cap is still on mine, but guess that means it's probably not very secure.

I actually figured out my capacitor had fallin off by just shifting the packaging around and seeing the thing roll back and forth. But it was a differen't one that that which was circled in the pic.

I want to OC it and unlock those pipes, but that voids the warranty. So after the problems these things have been having I'm a little slow to take those steps. I know with most computer parts if its good its good and if its broke you can tell right away. Am I just being to paranoid or would it be better to wait with these 6800's before trying to OC and unlock it to make sure all is well?

PNY6800.jpg

Mine is fine.

Combine the inadequate packaging of PNY's cards with customers/employees droping/squeezing the packaging, etc... and there's your problem. They need foam on the top and bottom of the card. The bottom of the card is packaged with bottom visible from the bottom and the b/c of that its very close to the edge of the box. I bet it was just some mishandled boxes... either by customers... or in shipping/ inventory/ stocking/ etc.

I'm happy with my PNY 6800GT that I got from CompUSA with Doom3 for $399 back when they were still very hard to find. And I'll tell you how I like my 6800 vanilla in about a week when I get my shuttle case to put it in.

Damn. Same EXACT thing happened to me. It stutters in all 3D apps including Doom III and 3DMark. Wont overclock at all, cause the options are greyed out. Im returning ASAP.

Webster

my PNY 6800gt works great...ive over clocked it usign coolbits with no problems. i agree they need to package them better, the box mine came in was smashed, so were all the others, and im glad it came out ok. Im happy with it.

just curious. can u post pics of ur low quality 2d stuff. i want to compare to make sure mine isn't low quality either. this is my first high quality card, my previous was a mx440. so i want to make sure mine is working correctly.

I was able to use coolbits fine now.. i have an aquamark of 63,500... i guess thats decent, but maybe it should be higher.. the only problem i have is i stutter in cs:s (not sure if this is connection related or video related) and i had some weird texture colors, but that might have been a result of alt-tabbing..

Stuttering in anything that uses the HL:2 engine is expected. Every hardware setup does that. I need to give aquamark a shot myself. I think I'm CPU limited anyways. But it will have to do for a while longer I'm sure.

I hope everyone that has purchased from PNY realizes this: They have your money and you WON'T get it back. Believe me, I tried like hell to get my money back. They have no quality control whatsoever. I hate them and will never buy from them again.

dwp138 said:
my PNY 6800gt works great...ive over clocked it usign coolbits with no problems. i agree they need to package them better, the box mine came in was smashed, so were all the others, and im glad it came out ok. Im happy with it.
You didnt buy yours in Atlanta, GA did you? They had to bring the card out to me at the cash register, but it looked a bit smashed too. They said it was the last one, so I couldnt get another.

On a side note, I didnt notice any loose caps. It's been working wonderfully, but the pipes didnt seem to work once unlocked. I used rivatuner to unlock them and it worked ok ... then started up Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (HL2 engine) and my entire system froze. So, I turned the pipes back off and all is well.

Apparently, rivatuner will allow you to find the defective pipe(s) and turn them off. So, I could end up with 15 pipes, but dont know if I really want to apply the time figuring it out. Especially since the game is running fine.

I had an ATI 9700Pro and the game was stuttering very badly and taking 2 minutes to load between scenes. Now, it works as it should, though the frame rates are still low (drops to 20s in the large city maps) ... but, no more stuttering and the framerate is at least three times better than w/ the ATI card. I'm ok with the purchase!

once u try to unlock the pipes. its impossible to revert back so the ppl won't kno u voided ur warranty? just curious becuz i plan on doin it..

I can't post a screenie of the 2D image quality of the card, but rest assured - it is utter crap.

I'm using the card right now, and i'm taking it back.

The desktop looks fuzzy & blurry. Winamp text is frail, and the address bar in IE, the black text on white background is just utter crap.

It's analogous to taking off your glasses & looking at your monitor, if you wear glasses. The fonts are "fuzzy"

This is not an isolated issue. If you have this problem, return the fucker or call PNY & demand a replacement.

edit: after reading the posts with this card, I gotta put my ti4200 back in. That's how bad it is. believe me, this is not n00bness, this is a defect in the card. i've reformatted twice, used a plethora of different forceware drivers, etc. It looks like i've got tears in my eyes when i'm reading text.

This card is utter crap, and no wonder why I got it for $200. It's worth about $20.

Ok, here's my own issues I had with PNY and why I'll never buy another of their products again. I had a Ti300 that worked great, so I bought a Ti4200 back in the day *almost 2 years ago now* It did fine for a while, but then it burned out all of the sudden. So, bought a FX5200 for a temp replacement, spent the hour and a half going through all the damn menu's and sub menu's on the PNY tech support, finally got my rma and sent it in. After 3 months, yes 3 MONTHS, 3 subsequent phone calls to be told that the replacements were behind and should be shipped in a few days, I finally got my replacement. Gee, was I ever surprised at the Ti4200 OEM I got back for my Ti4200 RETAIL I sent in. Ok, shouldnt be much of a diff, but I sent in a nice purple pcb Ti4200 with heatsinks on both sides of the memory, got back a brown pcb Ti4200 with no heatsinks and memory on only one side. Without the card, I can not prove this next statement, but I do believe the retail had faster memory than the OEM because my performance was not what it used to be after that as well.

So, never again shall I purchase a PNY, which should be renamed to POS.

Back